Sunday, October 18, 2020

Experts say they will never be able to determine how many of those cases originated at the 10-day rally, given the failure of state and local health officials to identify and monitor attendees returning home, or to trace chains of transmission after people got sick. Some, however, believe the nearly 500,000-person gathering played a role in the outbreak now consuming the Upper Midwest.

Comments

One rider's thinking:

It had been a long ride back from Sturgis, S.D., so when he first felt an ache at the back of his throat, Kenny Cervantes figured he was just tired. He'd traveled the 400-some miles on his Harley, rumbling through wide-open farm and prairie land on his way home to Riverdale, Neb., where his girlfriend was waiting.

A lifelong motorcycle enthusiast, the 50-year-old construction worker and father of five had been determined to go to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, a holy grail for bikers. Even when his girlfriend, Angie Balcom, decided to stay back because she was worried about being around so many people during a pandemic, Cervantes was adamant about going.

"I don't think there was nothing that was going to stop me," he said.

His thoughts now:

After weeks of missed work, his stint in the hospital and a return visit to the ER over a blood clot concern, he's come to deeply regret his decision.

"I was naive," he said. "I was dumb, you know? I shouldn't have went. I did; I can't change that, so I just got to move forward. But sitting here just the past few days, that's all I keep thinking about. I'm like, Jesus, look at the hell I'm going through, the hell I put everybody through. It ain't worth it. It wasn't. It really wasn't."

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-10-18 07:15 AM | Reply

I'm glad he's able to admit it but this is, in a nutshell, what's wrong with "c-c-conservatives" across the board.

They'll concoct some sort of position not based in reality or solid evidence (it's all about the feels...) and will stick to it as it burns down around them. Only after they get burned in the collapse will they say it was a bad idea, but will then immediately jump to the next fantasy nonsense position and repeat the process.

It's some of the most mind numbing, abject stupidity I've ever seen yet they're dead serious and demand you respect their position even after they burn it down.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-18 09:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Herd mentality.

#3 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-10-18 05:35 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY JPW

My future in-laws went to Sturgis right before we visited their home in Minnesota. They didn't bother telling us they were going, so it was an unwelcome surprise. Nobody got sick and it may have to do with their attention to the virus. They didn't go into any bars, avoided indoor seating at restaurants, and did not cruise around on the main drag. They camped on the outskirts and were diligent in sanitizing everything. So at least the virus was front and center for them even though they still risked the trip. It was the 80th anniversary, so I get why so many people were adamant on going. It would have been much safer and less of a spreader had Trump hammered the risk the virus poses and the importance of face masks. The people at Sturgis Motorcycle rally are his people, they listen to him. And the result here proves it. I'm just so thankful my future in-laws, who are Trump supporters, have said his response to the virus was poor. If it's the one thing they have separated themselves from Trump on, I'll take it.

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-10-18 06:04 PM | Reply

Trump's rallies will make his presidency end with a giant bang in the covid stats.

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-10-19 02:26 AM | Reply

We don't use contact tracing because of FreeDumb. That's why we have lost the battle with Covid.

#6 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-10-19 02:21 PM | Reply

Well, at least many of the attendees still have their Obamacare. For now. Let's hope they get better before that big case in front of the SCOTUS. Otherwise, they will be freed of the confines of their worldly bodies...

#7 | Posted by catdog at 2020-10-19 05:23 PM | Reply