Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Florida shattered its opening day record for in-person early voting Monday, with at least 350,000 people casting ballots and election officials continuing to count statewide late into the night.

Comments

"The trend continues a record-setting pace in the battleground state that is viewed as a must-win for President Donald Trump. Voting by mail, which started earlier this month, racked up more than 2.5 million ballots headed into Monday, more than double the 1.2 million during the same timeframe in 2016.

More than 350,000 voters, some of whom were treated to pizza by singer Ariana Grande while they waited in line, easily surpassed 2016 numbers when 291,000 people voted on the first day of in-person early voting, which includes 52 of Florida's 67 counties. All counties begin early voting on Saturday."

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-20 02:28 AM | Reply

I voted a week ago by mail and checked on it this morning, it was received and counted. I really don't understand why anyone wants to stand in line during a pandemic but I actually had conversations with several people trying to convince me that mail in ballots cause voter fraud even though there is no evidence to support that view.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2020-10-20 10:44 AM | Reply

"I really don't understand why anyone wants to stand in line during a pandemic but I actually had conversations with several people trying to convince me that mail in ballots cause voter fraud even though there is no evidence to support that view."

For me it's not about fraud, it's about incompetence. It took me two election cycles just to change my voter registration to Democrat. They sent the form back unopened twice. I have zero confidence in NY's ability to count mail in votes. Early voting starts here on Saturday. I plan to go on Tuesday or Wednesday. Other states may have their procedures in place, especially states that only have mail in voting but Cuomo and the state legislature have not been instilling confidence on this point.

#3 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-10-20 10:58 AM | Reply

10% of the US has cast a ballot... with 2 weeks to go

weeweewee allllllllll the way out of office in disgrace.

#4 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-10-20 12:04 PM | Reply

The harder the GOP fights to suppress the vote the more that the citizenry will rise up and go to extraordinary lengths to make sure their vote is counted. Desantis and Trump must be freaking right about now.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-20 12:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

It's all the white senior citizen housewives with COVID who are getting out there early for Trump!

#6 | Posted by anton at 2020-10-20 12:22 PM | Reply

And let's not forget, as a result of a referendum, but despite an attempt by the Republican controlled legislature and state's courts to overturn the will of the people, over 67,000 ex-felons have registered to vote for the 2020 elections.

At Least 67,000 Felons Registered To Vote In Florida, Group Says

While the number falls short of the estimated 1.4 million people the state voted to enfranchise in 2018, civil rights groups said it was still a historic moment.

www.huffpost.com

OCU

#7 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-10-20 01:47 PM | Reply

Florida, from the looks of things now, appears to be quite close.

I wouldn't be surprised if Florida is a nail-biter. Again.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-20 02:18 PM | Reply

Like CORKY, I already voted, too (hand delivered to the Supervisor of Elections office).

The long lines of early voters in Broward County are on TV.

So . . . just out of curiosity about Trump's threat of 1000's of attorneys, Assistant D.A., and AR-15 tottin' thugs from his private army (White Supremacy), I took a drive around the county today for a looksee.

NOTHING! There was usually only a local police car parked nearby which wasn't unusual.

#9 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-20 04:27 PM | Reply

I heard yesterday that more than 25 percent (almost 1 million) of Colorado's registered voters have already cast their ballots. But I hope the flood of early voters don't encourage possible late voters that they don't need to worry about it. America needs to keep its foot on this gas pedal.

#10 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-10-21 11:48 AM | Reply

Keep in mind that Colorado is one of the four states where 100% of the vote is by mail. With that in mind, any statistics coming out of these four states, which in addition to Colorado, includes Washington, Oregon and Utah, talking about 'early voting', may not mean the same thing as it does in states where there's both in-person and vote-by-mail.

OCU

#11 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-10-21 01:27 PM | Reply

Sorry I missed one of the 100% vote-by-mail states, Hawaii.

OCU

#12 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-10-21 01:30 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY OCUSER

Actually, we have choices in Colorado. Every registered voter will receive a ballot in the mail. But in-person early and election day voting is also open. We can also take the ballots mailed to us to a convenient drop box, or simply mail it in.

As most do in my county, I turned my ballot in to one of the drop boxes at our county courthouse. And I receive text messages on the status of my ballot. I've already been notified that my ballot was received and accepted. No lines, no bother.

Colorado has already received and accepted ballots or votes from more than 25% of its registered voters. At the last report I saw, Colorado has already turned in 24 times more ballots than at this same time in 2016.

But we should also not forget, about this same time 4 years ago, the NY Times was giving Hillary a 95% chance of winning.

If you haven't voted, don't get complacent and skip it.

#13 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-10-21 02:18 PM | Reply

I found a site that's providing near real-time statistics on how the mail-in and in-person early voting is going:

2020 General Election Early Vote Statistics

electproject.github.io

The panel at the bottom of the page is very interesting (check all three options).

One interesting statistic is that with 13 days still to go before election day, early voting, counting both returned mail-in ballots and in-person voting, that as a nation, we've already cast 30% of the total votes cast in 2016. And really interesting is that one state, Texas, is already at 60% of their 2016 total.

OCU

#14 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-10-21 04:42 PM | Reply

Re #14

It's going to be interesting to see what happens over the next two weeks, as Republicans tend to vote later.

#15 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-10-21 05:10 PM | Reply