Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Tim Alberta: More than [220,000] Americans are dead from a global pandemic. Millions of adults are home from work and millions of kids are home from school. The streets of big cities and small towns have been convulsing with anger and protest and even sporadic violence. All of this is politically significant. All of it has contributed to an election-year environment that is fundamentally detrimental to the incumbent.

Comments

But if Trump loses, the biggest factor won't be Covid-19 or the economic meltdown or the social unrest. It will be his unlikability.

That's the story of this election: All across America, in conversations with voters about their choices this November, I've been hearing the same thing over and over again: "I don't like Trump." (Sometimes there's a slight variation: "I'm so tired of this guy," "I can't handle another four years of this," etc. The remarkable thing? Many of these conversations never even turn to Biden; in Phoenix, several people who had just voted for the Democratic nominee did not so much as mention his name in explaining their preference for president.

In hundreds of interviews this year with MAGA loyalists, I have noted only a handful in which the person did not, unsolicited, point to the president's behavior as exhausting and inappropriate. Strip away all the policy fights, all the administrative action (or inaction), all the culture war politics, and the decision for many people comes down to a basic conclusion: They just do not approve of the president as a human being.

Hopefully it will be this simple this one oh so important time. Trump's need to dominate everything has worn the entire nation - including many of his own erstwhile supporters - to a nub of rubbed-raw, painful nerve tissue, exposed to the elements. 20,000 plus annotated and documented lies, endless projection of his own innumerable sins upon those who dare oppose him or demand he be held accountable for his own transgressions. And on and on, ad nauseum, over and over for more than 4 long years.

This reporting makes perfect sense. Trump's own polling dropped precipitously after his last disastrous debate in which he refused to let his opponent even finish a sentence without injecting his own remarks - reportedly as a way to trigger Biden's stuttering problem as he was taught to do in debate prep. I pray that soon we can look back at these times as the last days of Donald Trump's presidency. I've never in my life been more tired of being sick and tired.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-20 05:55 PM | Reply

At the beginning of the year, before Covid, Trump was behind a generic Democrat candidate. Most people have had enough of him.

#2 | Posted by rosemountbomber at 2020-10-20 06:05 PM | Reply

I've never in my life been more tired of being sick and tired.
#1 | POSTED BY TONYROMA

I thought GW's reelection was one of the most depressing moments of my life. I was so convinced that the voting public would say no more to the lies and death. I learned an incredibly valuable lesson that night: Projection is a real bitch; don't allow it to infect your perspective at all costs.

This is what led me to believe that Trump would win in 2016. Unfortunately, I can't help shake the notion that I'm perceiving the political environment in this country the same way I did in 2004. Even without a war, the lies and death persist in 2020.

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-10-20 06:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I thought GW's reelection was one of the most depressing moments of my life.

Don't remind me, I felt the same way. In hindsight, I think the anti-gay marriage bills helped tip the balance, especially in Ohio, along with their voter suppression efforts including hundreds of thousands of provisional ballots that were never counted and the infamous Diebold machines that allegedly flipped votes.

But this article - and everything I'm seeing and reading - gives me hope that what we're seeing is real. All I can do is vote and encourage or assist others in doing the same.

Fingers crossed and hopes high and rising....

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-20 06:27 PM | Reply

It all boils down to Orange Man Bad.

Flush him.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2020-10-20 06:47 PM | Reply

Is it because folks are tired of winning?

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-10-20 07:04 PM | Reply

We love fascists in America. We long to told how it has to be. Minorities are for abusing. Women; "get me a sammich, dammit". Rule of law is for ----------- men take what they want. Never admit fault or show weakness. Trump is "Da Man", he's never wrong.

Covid is the sniffles,chicken soup and warm milk and you'll be fine.

If not,it was your time.

#7 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-10-20 07:19 PM | Reply

Leaving office in disgrace.

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-10-21 12:21 AM | Reply

If Trump wins it will be because he is more entertaining... in a WWE, Kardashians, Masked Singer, American Idol, Survivor, Real Housewives... or Gong Show reality TV sort of way.

You know, cultural television.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-21 12:29 AM | Reply

Voters weren't into Trump in the first place.

He lost the human vote.

He won the geographic vote.

Republicans aren't counting on winning Americans.

They just want to control America.

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-21 12:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The Gong Show was friggin' hilarious in its day.

I've never watched even a minute of the others you listed.

But I get your point. Everybody loves a clown.

#11 | Posted by et_al at 2020-10-21 12:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

lol, I added the Gong Show because it's the only one I've ever seen, too. And it had clowns.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-21 12:38 AM | Reply

Everybody loves a clown.

Aw-shucks.

#13 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-21 01:00 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Everybody loves a clown.
#11 | POSTED BY ET_AL

Or are terrified of them.

#14 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-10-21 04:58 AM | Reply

LOL...just when I thought the Trump Era couldn't get any weirder...
THIS!

www.rawstory.com

#15 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-10-21 06:04 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

EARTHMUSE

"What could possibly go wrong?"

Oh Boy ~~ Let me count the ways. LOL

The ol' time machine defense? Really?

BTW, thank you for that amusing story about a grown man who calls himself "Baby Q," (QAnon), (obviously a member of Trump's future Republican Guard.)

#16 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-21 07:21 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

People often made fun of no drama Obama, but after 4 years of all drama Trump, people are tired of the daily ------ show.

#17 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-10-21 07:25 AM | Reply

"people are tired of the daily ------ show."

I should add that people are especially tired of the narcissistic, histrionic drama Trump creates when their own daily lives are filled with much more difficulty and uncertainty due to the pandemic and the subsequent wide-ranging consequences of that.

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-10-21 07:39 AM | Reply

You know, cultural television.

#9 | POSTED BY CORKY

Welcome to 'Murica!

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-21 07:56 AM | Reply

We're Overthinking This Election: Voters Are Tired of Trump

Too bad that in america it doesn't matter what voters want. The minority wins.

#20 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-10-21 02:24 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by earthmuse

IF this wasn't the average "Q" and there were so damned many of them - I would find it funny too.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-10-21 02:45 PM | Reply

This:

At a campaign rally over the weekend, Donald Trump told a group of supporters in Nevada that Joe Biden is "the most boring human being" he's ever seen.

Last night in Erie, Pa., the president returned to this argument, saying that voters who want "boredom" should "vote for Sleepy Joe Biden."

I won't pretend to be an expert in the American electorate's tolerance for tedium, but it's hardly outrageous to believe a degree of Trump Fatigue has set in. For nearly four years, nearly every day has brought an exhausting new round of scandals. And outrages. And corruption. And incompetence. And tweets. And deliberate efforts to divide.

What the president has begun pitching is the idea that this is somehow a good thing. We should welcome the daily drama from the White House, the argument goes, because the alternative is "boredom." In a Biden era, some Americans might go whole days without giving much thought to the latest unnecessary crisis unfolding in the Oval Office.

If Trump expects voters to find this compelling, he may be disappointed in the results. -- Steve Benen

#22 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-21 03:03 PM | Reply

TONY

All of Trump's false flags and "October Surprises" have fallen flat. He's out of juice, out of money and probably out of his mind, too, with fear and desperation.

Now he's demanding A.G. Barr lie about hiring a Special Prosecutor to investigate the whole Biden Family before the election. This is the 2016 Hilary Clinton/Comey gambit all over again.

Trump is threatening and badmouthing Barr all over the place. To me that means Barr is probably telling Trump a flat out NO. I wouldn't be surprised if Barr resigned ~ if for no other reason than a fear of being dragged deeper into Trump's legal battles ~~ and losing.

Trump inner circle knows more about Trump's re-election than any of us do. We've seen this movie before. Two weeks to doomsday and it's every man for himself.

#23 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-21 05:59 PM | Reply

It all boils down to Orange Man Bad.

Flush him.

#5 | POSTED BY ZED

I know you think it's pretty bad. And it is.

And I think it might be even worse than you think and I can barely even imagine. (But I have a YUUGE imagination.)

I don't know if I can truly explain it. Who among us can?? Maybe Obama.

Trump has channeled some strange and I believe evil demonic force. And he has released this strange "energy" into the world. I have felt it's force. And it is strong. It is an energy. And it's terrifying to me. Evil describes it best.

And I believe it can still overpower us. Humans are incredible because we can remember the past. But we are also interesting in that we choose to try and forget it. And now lately we even change it (or try)

"We have all been here before." csny

youtu.be

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-22 07:22 AM | Reply

All of Trump's false flags and "October Surprises" have fallen flat.

#25 | Posted by JOE at 2020-10-22 08:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Voters Are Tired of Trump

humm, Rasmussen 52% approval this morning compared to Obama 50% at same time

#26 | Posted by Maverick at 2020-10-22 10:01 AM | Reply

JOE

"I assume the worst is yet to come. Trump has massively shortened Americans' political attention spans. I'm guessing he will drop something late next week that will take a few days to disprove but the damage will be done."

He IS putting a lot of pressure on Barr to lie about hiring a special prosecutor. Barr seems reluctant ~~ so far. Trump is threatening to fire both Barr AND FBI Director Chris Wray, too.

Trump is trying to revert back to the ol' 2016 Hillary Clinton/Jim Comey gambit.

But like you said, short attention spans.

#27 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-22 10:43 AM | Reply

humm, Rasmussen 52% approval this morning compared to Obama 50% at same time

#26 | POSTED BY MAVERICK

Rasmussen. lol!

#28 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-10-22 11:09 AM | Reply

MAVERICK

Rasmussen? LOL

Check with Nate Silver's 538 and get back to us.

#29 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-22 12:15 PM | Reply

Twinpac... this is the real election grift...
He will throw out a half dozen red herrings, but DeJoy in the post office w Trumps thugs burning bags of ballots, and Russian Hackers doing their thing, are my best bets on how this thing gets stolen, if it does... My hope lies in the fact that there are an AWFUL lot of holes to plug in the dam this time, and if they cheat THAT much, it will be obvious to the world... THAT many polls can't all be wrong.

crooksandliars.com