Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome on Wednesday, in a major departure from the position held by the Vatican's doctrinal office. "Homosexuals have a right to be part of the family," the Pontiff said in "Francesco," a documentary about his life, according to the Catholic News Agency. "They're children of God and have a right to a family. Nobody should be thrown out, or be made miserable because of it."

Comments

"This is a BFD!" - Joe Biden (at another time, about another subject)

But this is earth shattering news for the 1.2 billion Roman Catholics around the world.

"Homosexuals have a right to be part of the family," says the Pontiff. They always have had that right in the Divine's loving eyes. Somehow I don't think that just changed today through the words of its Earthly emissary.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-21 11:50 AM | Reply

Sad day in the world when the Pope is more progressive regarding homosexual marriage than the POTUS.

#2 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-10-21 01:04 PM | Reply

A welcome change for newer generations.

It's just a tad late too late:

Texas just passed another law that allows social workers to turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability.

Officials voted last Wednesday to remove protections of those clients.

At the direction of the governor's office, the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners voted unanimously to eliminate disability, sexual orientation and gender identity from the nondiscrimination clause of the code of conduct. The board made the decision during a joint meeting Monday with the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, which oversees regulatory agencies for professions related to mental health. LINKY

#3 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 02:58 PM | Reply

It's just a tad late too late:

It's never too late to rescind egregious laws already on the books. All of a sudden, 1.2 billion Catholics worldwide have been given marching orders that homosexuals indeed both are family and can raise their families within the bosom of the Church.

That means that all the elected or appointed Catholic representatives and bureaucrats (including Amy Coney Barrett) can no longer justify their anti-gay stances based upon adherence to their faith. And it eviscerates discriminatory adoption and foster parenting laws and regulations.

Of course, I don't expect to see any dramatic shift for most Catholics, but it does make for interesting conversations over the upcoming holidays and beyond, doesn't it?

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-21 03:14 PM | Reply

#4 - No offence, but in regard to how long we've waited and fought for even the ability to rent an apartment, keep a job or safely attend school, let alone being allowed to start a family - you really have no idea how dangerous and painful it's been. At least Biden has supported the Pope's new found position since 2012. I'd like to see some ----- representation in his administration.

#5 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 03:32 PM | Reply

RCADE - this is the third time I've used ----- in proper context - why is it forbidden? That is my orientation, and even in a heart-felt post it was redacted.

#6 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 03:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I'd like to see some ----- representation in his administration.

It's already represented in his campaign staff. Karine Jean-Pierre serves as a senior advisor to the Joe Biden 2020 presidential campaign, then later was named the chief of staff for Joe Biden's running mate, Kamala Harris. I doubt that she is the only "q" person inside the high level staff. In fact Pete Buttigieg has been a prominent spokesman, getting major time on Fox News of all places. He is definitely being fitted for a high level role inside any Biden Administration.

Biden's staff will reflect America as it exists - much as Obama's did - the difference being the further evolved mores that 12 additional years has brought to our society.

#7 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-21 03:48 PM | Reply

There were plenty of gays involved with Trump on The Apprentice.

But not so much on his campaign, that I'm aware of.

I think The Founders would be amused to see how one party represents a majority of White Males and the other party represents a majority of Everybody Else.

They'd probably wonder how Everybody Else ever got the franchise in the first place.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-21 03:56 PM | Reply

#7 - You have my opinion, and factually we're under-represented. Buttigieg was part of the "invade and divide Iraq into several nation states" group, and while it's inspiring to see someone survive the military lifestyle I don't feel at all represented by Mayor Pete, so no thanks. I have no idea who Karine is.

Twelve years and little to show. That is precisely what I expected from a Biden administration.

Is he going to offer Bernie anything? I feel far more representation from him than any pseudo-left installations.

#9 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 03:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Now he'll really be a PINO.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-21 04:11 PM | Reply

A bit of a WINO too.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-21 04:12 PM | Reply

This news will be ignored by conservatives and the next pope will undo all the progress Francis has made.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-21 04:14 PM | Reply

POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT AT 2020-10-21 03:57 PM | REPLY

That's because Bernie has been fighting for LGBTQA rights for a long time. Biden on the other hand has been fighting against those same rights.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-10-21 04:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You have my opinion, and factually we're under-represented. ... I have no idea who Karine is.

Jean-Pierre identifies as lesbian.[17]

In an interview regarding her tenure working for the Obama Administration as an openly gay staffer, she said: "What's been wonderful is that I was not the only; I was one of many. President Obama didn't hire LGBT staffers, he hired experienced individuals who happen to be LGBT," she says. "Serving and working for President Obama where you can be openly gay has been an amazing honor. It felt incredible to be a part of an administration that prioritizes LGBT issues."[18]

en.wikipedia.org

I have no argument with you because I have no idea who the people around Biden are but for these 2 who hold quite visible, prominent roles. You asked for representation, and I pointed out that there is indeed representation.

Perhaps it would be wiser to dive deeper on your own or to check q sources that you respect and see what they are saying about Biden's staff make-up before you pass judgments that seem hasty and ill-informed - at least from your own acknowledgments of not knowing that the highest ranking staff person of the vice presidential nominee is both gay and an alumni from the Obama Administration, not Bernie's.

#14 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-21 04:16 PM | Reply

#14 Thanks Tony, that's reasonable.

However, claiming that I'm "ill-informed" is insulting. Come off of it - ONE "representative" doth not a coalition make.

#15 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 04:25 PM | Reply

However, claiming that I'm "ill-informed" is insulting.

I didn't mean to be. You didn't know that Karine was gay and Harris' chief of staff - the highest position to be held under the VP. That is a lack of information on your part. That is all I meant.

And did you miss this: "What's been wonderful is that I was not the only; I was one of many. President Obama didn't hire LGBT staffers, he hired experienced individuals who happen to be LGBT."

That is why I used the term again. There are certainly more q people in Biden's staff. It's not necessarily true to claim an underrepresentation when one doesn't know exactly what the current representation even is.

It wasn't personal, it was descriptive of the circumstances - meaning a lack of full or complete knowledge. I was claiming the same for myself as well, for I don't know either.

#16 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-21 04:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good for the Catholic Church! I'm sure that the far Reich wing of the church, including Amy Covid Barrett's cult, who hate Pope Francis are apoplectic right now.

#17 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-10-21 04:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

The Opus Dei will be whipping itself into shape over this.

#18 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-10-21 05:53 PM | Reply

"Homosexuals have a right to be part of the family," says the Pontiff.

Wow, the tenet of "papal infallibility" is going to be invoked on this....meaning that when some Catholics protest over this.....they are going to get that shoved in their face and told to STFU.

Personally, I think a ton of traditional Catholics are breathing a sigh of relief so they can put this issue behind them.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-21 06:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#18 - Well, Scalia is being replaced with Coney Barrett, so..

#19 - very insightful, and I feel it's accurate.

#20 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 06:16 PM | Reply

Scalia is being replaced with Coney Barrett

Scalia was replaced by Kavanaugh.

Coney is replacing Ruth.

It's a travesty.

#21 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-10-21 06:58 PM | Reply

Scalia was replaced by Kavanaugh.
Coney is replacing Ruth.
It's a travesty.
#21 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2020-10-21 06:58 PM

Oops, I had (and successfully) to forget about that installation. Another CATHOLIC, Jesus Christ..

#22 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 07:02 PM | Reply

Gorsuch replaced Scalia.

#23 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-10-21 07:03 PM | Reply

#23 - Hmmm.. a Catholic who attends an Episcopalian church. His vote for LGBTQ rights is actualizing "justice and peace among all people". He is a "textualist", so arguing one word is certainly within his wheelhouse and he apparently is more in line with the Pope than the Catholic church in general. Interesting times for all.

#24 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-21 09:45 PM | Reply

What's amazing is how much more he looks like Stan Laurel each time I see him.

travsd.wordpress.com

www.pinterest.com

#25 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-21 10:06 PM | Reply

Meanwhile, in America, our own cathaholic Amy Barrett, says that their children should not be allowed to go to school.

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-22 07:02 AM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Probably. Although I'm curious if it might contribute to Catholic flight.

Funny personal anecdote on the topic.

A cousin posted an article about this on facebook and I had to laugh when another relative, who's of the very very extreme evangelical persuasion, responded with "Obviously he doesn't read the Bible."

I can't imagine a clearer example of how subjective and, therefore, ridiculous strong belief is. The Pope. Hasn't read the Bible. Suuuuuuuuurrre.

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-22 10:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#27 - You should hear Aramaic with a New Zealand accent - cringechuckle goofiness.

#28 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-10-22 11:49 AM | Reply

Man in dress tells people how to live because why? Oh, I know, the bad logic they taught you before you had any sense- aka you were just a kid. The taliban does the same. You know the reason priests aren't allowed to have kids is because the church wants all of their wealth. In ohio, a pastor/tv quack called Ernest Angelie did the same to all of his parishioners- he wanted none of them to have kids so his church would inherit the wealth. Sick. Ignore the fake piety people.

#29 | Posted by Brennnn at 2020-10-23 05:10 AM | Reply