Thursday, October 22, 2020

The Mexican government appears increasingly likely to legalize cannabis on a federal level, potentially making Mexico the biggest legal weed market in the world.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The move would amount to a massive u-turn after decades of prohibitionist policies led to the explosive growth of transnational drug cartels " and local cartel wars " in the Latin American nation, with demand from the U.S. fueling violence and crime.

According to Mexican Senate leader Ricardo Monreal of the ruling MORENA party, a cannabis legalization bill will be presented to the lawmaking body at some point within the next two weeks and is "likely to pass," reports Los Angeles Times. The bill would enable private companies to sell the plant and its derivative products to the public.

Comments

Just from my experience in the U.S. prepare for the Mexican drug trade to suddenly look like an Apple Store.

Dispensaries in Nevada are probably the most professionally run retail enterprises I've ever seen.

Duh!

#1 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-10-23 11:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Cartels will still control it in Mexico. The problem is the war on drugs and prohibition built these organizations much like Alcohol Prohibition helped build Organized Crime in the US. The drug prohibition has been a huge factor in the rise of gangs here in the US.

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-10-23 11:47 AM | Reply

I'm not so sure about that. I mean it's possible, but they will have to hire professionals to operate the businesses and presumably curb the violence as well.

I mean who knows how much influence the illegal trade has on the legal drug market in the U.S. I know there is some street stuff out there, I've bought street stuff just out of laziness, but generally, I and most people I know prefer to a great extent paying a little more to walk into a store and buy stuff you know the exact metrics on, walk out and go about your day.

I remember in Florida, sometimes I would have to wait 4-5 hours on a Friday night just to get a quarter of very mediocre mid-grade because I was on other people's time.

I don't think the cartels will be able to compete with corporate money and organization, even in Mexico, unless they adapt to that model.

#3 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-10-23 11:59 AM | Reply

There is still cocaine, heroin, and people to be smuggled.

#4 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-10-24 12:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stop treating addicts as criminals and treat addiction like the mental health problem it is.

Which, of course, means you need to fix healthcare.

Good luck with that in the Divided States of America under the disastrously incompetent cheerleadership of Trumpy and the deplorables.

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-24 02:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

First of all most drug users aren't addicts. Recreational users, most.

#6 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-24 08:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Pretty consistent that 10-15% of users of a substance become addicted. But that 10% can really rack up the costs, both in direct medical costs and lost economic costs.
Pissed me off when the officer doing the DARE presentation to my daughter's 5th grade class gave false information:
Marijauna is a gate way drug - tobacco and alcohol are much greater gateway substances.
One hit of crack cocaine and you are addicted for life - utter --------
If you use LSD you will have a bad trip that will ruin your life - for many it is a beautiful experience and now is actively being study as a treatment for a variety of disorders, along with other dissociative agents.

I was in college during the "Just SAY NO," campaign, we would roll our eyes and pass the bong.

#7 | Posted by mattm at 2020-10-24 10:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#4 has it. marijuana? pffft.
btw, all they're doing is setting themselves up in business monopolies.

#8 | Posted by ichiro at 2020-10-25 01:30 AM | Reply

Heroin and cocaine , well we like that hence the supply.

People smuggling. When I was young the border was pretty open. People would go home and visit their families on holidays and such and could come back to work, no worries. No coyotes.

As far as rapists and murderers, I doubt they raise the average considering our own domestic supply

#9 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-25 01:56 AM | Reply

This breaks international law- should be interesting!

#10 | Posted by Brennnn at 2020-10-25 06:14 AM | Reply