Sunday, October 25, 2020

An attorney for The Lincoln Project, an anti-Trump GOP group, sent a scathing legal response Saturday to a lawsuit threat over a pair of attack ads against Ivanka Trump and husband Jared Kushner on billboards in Times Square. The billboards skewer Donald Trump's daughter and son-in-law for their callous indifference to the COVID-19 death toll in America, which now stands at nearly 225,000.

Comments

FTA

The Lincoln Project received a letter Friday from lawyer Marc Kasowitz, representing the White House senior advisers, demanding that the "false, malicious and defamatory" ads be removed or "we will sue you for what will doubtless be enormous compensatory and punitive damages."

The responding missive from Lincoln Project attorney Matthew Sanderson fired back: "Please peddle your scare tactics elsewhere. The Lincoln Project will not be intimidated by such empty bluster."

Sanderson added: "Your clients are no longer Upper East Side socialites, able to sue at the slightest offense to their personal sensitivities." They are "public officials" due to a "gross act of nepotism" when Donald Trump made them both White House advisers.

Americans "have the right to discuss and criticize their public officials freely," Sanderson schools Kasowitz, citing a Supreme Court ruling defending even "vehement, caustic and ... unpleasantly sharp attacks" of government officials.

Ouch. This letter was a full broadside against Trump and Kushner.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-25 10:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#1

I'm now thinking that the Lincoln Project expected the response they received from the nepotic duo, and were all set with the repsonse.

OK, now the ball is in the nepotic duo's court, let's see if they stand up or slink away...

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-25 11:05 AM | Reply

LMAO!

I LOVE this!

Do NOT f**k with The Lincoln Project.

#3 | Posted by YAV at 2020-10-25 11:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'm quite sure they have all their ducks in a row before doing this type of thing.

Love how they call the nepotistic duo's bluff though. "Go ahead, continue on this path. We'd LOVE to go to discovery phase".

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-25 11:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

All threatening so sue did was get several million more people to see the ads.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-10-25 11:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

From the letter...

...The Lincoln Project would welcome the opportunity to further establish the truthfulness of its Times Square billboards through litigation and discovery, so sue if you must....

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-25 11:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ivanka and Kushner would be wise to save their money. Daddy Big Bucks will probably need a loan when the I.R.S. and the SDNY get through with him.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-25 04:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump will be demanding that Fixer Barr and FBI Dir Wrey lock up the Lincoln Project.

"Lock 'em up!"

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-25 05:23 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-10-25 05:50 PM | Reply

Trump is so high on Sudafed, cocaine and steroids these days he's still ranting about Hillary Clinton.

But I get the addle brained connections. It's Hillary >> Obama >> Biden. (wash, rinse, repeat)

He wants them all locked up.

Barr will probably be next on the enemies list ~~ from the way it looks just 9 days out and no announcement about appointing a Special Prosecutor. Time is running out, not that anybody would believe it anyway ~ considering the timing. This isn't 2016.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-25 06:22 PM | Reply

@#9

I've asked myself that as well.

The only thing I can come up with is that the Lincoln Project understands Republicans better than the Democratic campaigns do.

It's more of an attempted rationale, one which I probably wouldn't buy into if it were presented to me. But there it is.

Wish I had a better explanation...

{shrug}

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-25 06:22 PM | Reply

Any one of the founders of the Lincoln Project has more accessible cash than Trump does.

He's so deep in debt he's nearly dug a hole to China. Where he had a secret bank account and paid taxes.

#12 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-10-25 06:33 PM | Reply

Because too many Dems are middle of the roaders to conservative Democrats. The like no conflicts. Just go with the flow. Don't upset the apple cart.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-10-25 06:35 PM | Reply

"The question I have is, how come the Dems haven't shown themselves to be able to mount as effective an ad campaign in all these years as the Lincoln Project?"

#9 | POSTED BY WHODAMAN

All these years?

The primaries haven't been over that long.

How do you know it wasn't a coordinated project since the beginning?

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-25 07:37 PM | Reply

Because the Lincoln Project is Republicans attacking Republicans. It's also not affiliated directly to either party like most SuperPACs are. If Democrats said many of the same things that the LP did, the story would be about hypocrisy and insensitivity instead of drawing intense focus upon the factual criticisms and sarcastic portrayals they've presented.

Look at the subject matter today - Trump's children. The Dems (to my knowledge) have not released one single negative ad about Trump's kids even though Trump has made Hunter Biden his personal boogeyman.

Frankly, the Lincoln Project operates on a plane the Democrats have never tried to compete on equally with Republicans.

#15 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-25 07:52 PM | Reply

@#15 ... Because the Lincoln Project is Republicans attacking Republicans. It's also not affiliated directly to either party like most SuperPACs are. ...

Interesting.

Almost as if the Lincoln Project is not political, but more trying to save a Party.

I hadn't really looked at it in that light.

But yeah.

I wish them luck. But their task is made more difficult because they have to resurrect the pre-TeaParty Republican party.

I am not convinced that is possible.

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-25 08:36 PM | Reply

I am not convinced that is possible.

From what I've seen and heard, I think their future goals are more to re-establish a real conservative party that is divorced from everything Trumpism has infected the GOP with - namely white grievance, lies, criminality, racism, sexism, misogyny, and a hyper prosperity-religiosity that ignores the social virtuousness that Jesus actually lived, taught and projected.

I heard many of them say that what is now called the GOP/RNC may need to go the way of the Whigs after the scourge of Trumpism is finally vanquished. I've even seen them predict two distinct parties may temporarily emerge because Trumpism won't simply die if/when he's defeated. There are far too many acolytes and sycophants waiting to pick up the mantel and run with it.

#17 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-25 08:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Re #9

In June 2018, Schmidt renounced the Republican Party as "fully the party of Trump".[9] He is a founder of The Lincoln Project, a political action committee of lifelong Republican strategists seeking to prevent Trump's reelection

Steve has been actively attacking Trump since 2018.

#18 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-26 11:52 AM | Reply

Republicans suing Republicans? Talk about a victimless crime.

The Lincoln Project is nothing more than a bunch of Bush era grifters fleecing Democrats. Their biggest issue with Trump isn't his policies it's that he's changed who are the favored pundits and lobbyists.

It's not even like their efforts are seriously focused on shifting voters away from Trump. They spend money on LA and DC commercials and Manhattan billboards, in the bluest of blue areas, not to convince anybody that Trump should go but to antagonize Trump and provide entertainment for their donor base.

They are not your friends.

#19 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-10-26 12:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They are not your friends.

#19 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

Anyone who speaks the truth to me is my friend.

Even if it hurts sometimes. (Of course a good friends breaks the bad news to you gently with a healthy dose of love).

The enemies of my enemy are my friends.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-26 12:42 PM | Reply

"The enemies of my enemy are my friends."

Meanwhile they insert themselves into a Biden administration, influencing his agenda, and undermining efforts to achieve everything Democrats argue we need.

#21 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-10-26 12:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"The enemies of my enemy are my friends."

If that simplifies things for you enough, then stick to it.

The enemy of my enemy can damn well be my enemy as well.

How can you not see that?

OH, wait...I missed this.....

"Anyone who speaks the truth to me is my friend."

You choose to believe some things Trump says, and many republicans.....doesn't make any of them your friend, does it?

#22 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-26 12:57 PM | Reply

"you're outright lying to yourself with that one. You can hear the truth from your enemy all day and night....but that will never make your enemy your friend."

How would you know how many enemies have become my friends?? Many have.

"The enemy of my enemy can damn well be my enemy as well.

How can you not see that?"

Which is ridiculously obvious.

To know your enemy you have to become your enemy. The enemy of my enemy is indeed my friend. As I am my own friend. And sometimes my own enemy. Keep your enemies close. Unless both enemies are attacking you at the same time. Hello McFly?? One would think this would be obvious.

You take out one with the help of the other. If that enemy of then turns in you then you only need deal with one enemy.

It is all in the Art of War.

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-26 01:13 PM | Reply

"Just so long as you admit to yourself that this friendship has a shelf life that expires in seven days."

Acceptable!

If my former enemies turn on me after we defeat the Boss then we will have the ability to deal with them.

If we don't defeat this Boss together it does not matter what my former enemies do.

They will probably be destroyed in the process too. In this battle if Trumpy and the Deplorables win these "enemies" will be defeated, too.

You think they will try and rejoin the Trumpy Train? You think Trumpy would actually forgive them and accept them back into the fold? I don't think so.

If you think that you do not know Trumpy.

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-26 01:39 PM | Reply

-It is all in the Art of War.

LOL

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-26 02:46 PM | Reply

"It is all in the Art of War."

LOL

#25 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Yeah. I know.

Reading really smart books written by really smart people is for suckers and losers.

And Gawd forbid we apply any of the lessons learned to our daily lives.

#26 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-26 06:40 PM | Reply