Sunday, October 25, 2020

Could Texas go blue in 2020? Signs point to it being a possibility: former Vice President Joe Biden is currently leading Pres. Donald Trump by three points in the Lone Star State, according to the latest poll from the Dallas Morning News and UT Tyler.

Comments

"If Biden were to win Texas, he would be the first Democrat to do so since 1976.

Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 3. As of Saturday, Texas voters have already cast 7 million ballots " a surge that is nearly 80% to hitting the total number of votes cast in the 2016 Presidential Election."

"Jimmah!"

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-25 06:04 PM | Reply

@#1 ... a surge that is nearly 80% to hitting the total number of votes cast in the 2016 Presidential Election ...

I discount a lot of the hype regarding the pre-Election-Day voting surges. I view it as people dealing with COVID-19 concerns.

I suspect many, as myself, voted early this year, not because of politics, but because we wanted to avoid the long social-distanced lines on Election Day.

In 2018 there was an amazing turnout in my town. To the point that the lines waiting to vote were longer than I had ever seen in my decades of voting here.

It was the largest percentage turnout that my town had seen in decades.

People were happy as we waited in line to vote.

But the lines were a surprise to us all.

So, riddle me this...

Why shouldn't I vote early, if such an option is available?

Why should I have to stand in line to vote when I do not have to?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-25 09:46 PM | Reply

- I view it as people dealing with COVID-19 concerns.

This early voting also includes the last two weeks of Oct in person, along with mail-in voting.

As with FL, most of this early voting will be Dems.

GOPhers say they aren't voting more, just earlier, but it's prolly a mix that includes a lot more Dems than rwingers who aren't concerned enough to wear masks or distance anyway.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-25 09:59 PM | Reply

@#3 ... And which voters are more likely to have said concerns in Texas, Dems or Repubs?...

I do not disagree with your sorting of COVID-19 concerns among political parties.

But regarding early voting, maybe the concerns to be concerned about are more along the line of not wanting to wait on long lines.

Jus' sayin'

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-25 10:09 PM | Reply

And, as I noted, those who don't want to wait in long lines, because COVID, are mostly Dems.

So, politically, the surge is mostly Dems.

The only question is are they Dems that would have voted anyway, or are there longer line also because there are more people voting Democrat.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-25 11:00 PM | Reply

. ... So, politically, the surge is mostly Dems. ...

While I can see the basis for your assertion, I am not in agreement.

Yet.

There's too much projection, and not enough data involved.

Anytime someone posts, "So, politically" my warning flares are most prevalent.

Danger, danger, Will Robinson!

Please explain to me when "politics" has been rationale.

I'll wait...

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-25 11:14 PM | Reply

IMO, the long lines are evidence that DeJoy's f*****g around with the USPS made a lot of people anxious to guarantee their votes count. That a majority of Americans are tired of Trump and want to ensure there isn't any doubt he lost. Badly.

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-10-25 11:36 PM | Reply

AU

I hope you're right. I look forward to start breathing normally again.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-26 12:00 AM | Reply

If 80% of 2016's votes are cast and Republicans are waiting till election day they are well and truly screwed.

#9 | Posted by dibblda at 2020-10-26 12:29 AM | Reply

nbsp

@#7 ... IMO, the long lines are evidence that DeJoy's f*****g around with the USPS made a lot of people anxious to guarantee their votes count. ...

Yup.

... That a majority of Americans are tired of Trump and want to ensure there isn't any doubt he lost. Badly. ...

Non-sequitur.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-26 01:32 AM | Reply

Come election day, there is going to be a crimson tide rolling over the whole US.

#11 | POSTED BY GET_REAL_NOW

You've been peddling this line since 2017. You're back to it after being zapped for overtly dishing Russian propaganda last week.

You are not a friend to this country.

#12 | Posted by Zed at 2020-10-26 08:03 AM | Reply

Re #11

COVID is the crimson tide that rolled over the whole US

#13 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-10-26 08:14 AM | Reply

6,984,089 mail in and early voting ballots thus far - 37% from registered Dems and 53% from registered GOP.

Just another lying sock puppet soon to have his disinformation silenced yet again:

TEXAS

More than 6.3 million people have voted early in Texas.

As of Oct. 21, voters with a Republican voting history cast 31.2% of early votes in the state compared to Democrats with 27.5%, according to an analysis by consultant Derek Ryan. Another 37% of early votes were cast by people who have either only voted in the general election or never voted before.

www.mcclatchydc.com

Another sterling example of Republican Math (TM).

#14 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-26 08:17 AM | Reply

The numbers are on the citation provided, just click "party registration" in the "Early voting in Texas."

I'm not sure what that has to do with the polling, though. Anyone Democrat or Trumplican using the early turnout numbers to forecast outcome is playing a dangerous and stupid game.

Do I expect Texas to go blue? I do not. I'd love to be wrong, too. I'd be tickled blue.

#16 | Posted by YAV at 2020-10-26 08:42 AM | Reply

Oh, now "MSDNC" is your go-to source for accurate information? Trump tells us everyday that NBC is in the bag for the Dems. That's rich hypocrite.

I'll go with McClatchy's analysis over one showing only a 10% share of independent voters. When's the last time independents have only formed 10% of the electorate?

#17 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-26 08:42 AM | Reply

My numbers are from NBC -------.

#15 | POSTED BY GET_REAL_NOW A

You're a jackass fascist fanatic who lies for your cause.

#18 | Posted by Zed at 2020-10-26 09:00 AM | Reply

"Jimmah!"

#1 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2020-10-25 06:04 PM |

I'm hoping this election results will be vindication for him and he gets to see it before he dies.

#19 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-10-26 09:04 AM | Reply

He did accurately copy what Target Smart is reporting. However, there is this:

The turnout appears to be strong among supporters of both political parties. In his popular daily recap of early vote totals Thursday, Ryan reported that voters who in the past have voted in Republican primaries but not Democratic primaries make up 31.3% of the early vote, compared with 26.1% for Democratic primary voters. But because 39% of early voters have no primary voting history, it's impossible to tell which party is leading in early vote turnout. Texans don't have the option to align with a particular party when they register to vote.

www.texastribune.org

So basically I question how Target Smart is coming up with its party affiliation data in the first place. It obviously runs counter to that which is presented here.

#20 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-26 09:12 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY GET_REAL_NOW

If Trump wins there certainly will be when he and his corrupt followers bleed the country dry as morons like you cheer him on.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2020-10-26 10:36 AM | Reply

zero credibility with morons that are trump truth-deniers and liars who can't deal with reality.

#23 | Posted by YAV at 2020-10-26 11:07 AM | Reply

That is what happens when you have zero credibility. You are a lying d-bag, but you are not stupid. You know what the early voting results mean for TX, OH, MI, and FL. Trump is going to win.

#21 | POSTED BY GET_REAL_NOW AT 2020-10-26 10:20 AM | FLAG:

In 2019, Fox News was the top-rated cable network, averaging 2.5 million viewers. Murdoch is the current executive chairman and Suzanne Scott is the CEO.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-10-26 12:43 PM | Reply

Trump is going to win.

#21 | Posted by Get_Real_Now

Yeah, man. But if he doesn't, what handle will you use here next?

#25 | Posted by Zed at 2020-10-26 12:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

- Please explain to me when "politics" has been rationale.

Non-sequitur.

#26 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-26 01:05 PM | Reply

"How Texas went from low voter turnout to nation's top early voting state"

www.theguardian.com

#27 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-26 01:10 PM | Reply

no offense to pollsters, but probably not. As a Texan, I am guessing Trump will win here by 2 points. Don't underestimate the number of aggrieved white rednecks in voting in this state.
...
but i hope i am wrong

#28 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-10-26 04:06 PM | Reply

Jeffrey is getting desperate and unhinged.

#29 | Posted by a_monson at 2020-10-26 04:06 PM | Reply

Nooooo!!

Texas is turning blue?

Be still my heart!

#30 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-26 06:35 PM | Reply

but i hope i am wrong

#28 | POSTED BY E1G

Agreed.

You can hope in one hand and take a crap in the other and see which one fills up first!

So yeah. I will not believe it until I see it.

Even then I will be suspicious.

#31 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-26 06:42 PM | Reply

Morning news exit polls had it at 8%. Trumpers hoping for an election day surge.

None of the choose choices, red, nor blue, survived primaries. What a ---- show.

#32 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-10-27 07:45 AM | Reply

good choices. Time for coffee roudn 2.

#33 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-10-27 07:45 AM | Reply

At least that Sherriff died before he could win another election. Silver linings.

#34 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-10-27 07:46 AM | Reply

Playing with maps...if Texas becomes a blue state, a Republican could win MN, WI, OH, PA, NC, GA and FL and still lose the election.

#35 | Posted by JOE at 2020-10-27 08:28 AM | Reply

Be still my heart!

And Gawd Bless Texas!!

#36 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-27 12:28 PM | Reply

Texas is going blue. That's all she wrote.

#37 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-10-27 03:42 PM | Reply