Tuesday, October 27, 2020

In many ways, Obama seemed to be making a concerted effort to troll the troller-in-chief president. He attacked Trump in very personal ways, with his comments often dripping with incredulity. He seemed to want to elicit a reaction from his successor - a reaction he soon got. "What's his closing argument? That people are too focused on covid. He said this at one of his rallies: Covid covid covid,' he's complaining," Obama said ... "He's jealous of covid's media coverage."

Comments

Obama pointed to the twin outbreaks in the White House, the first apparently stemming from the announcement of Amy Coney Barrett as Trump's Supreme Court pick last month, and the second this week inside Vice President Pence's office.

"I lived in the White House for a while," Obama said with a smile. "You know, it's a controlled environment. You can take some preventive measures in the White House to avoid getting sick. Except this guy can't seem to do it. He's turned the White House into a hot zone."

"You're not going to have to worry about what crazy things they're going to say, what they're going to tweet," Obama said of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. He added with particular exasperation about the death of the world's leading terrorist, which occurred on his watch: "I mean, listen, our president of the United States retweeted a post that claimed that the Navy SEALs didn't actually kill bin Laden. Think about that. And we act like, Well, okay.' It's not okay.

"I mean, we've gotten so numb to what is bizarre behavior."

This is the greatest thing that happened today as far as I'm concerned. This was Obama After Dark, Unplugged, right in the middle of the daytime. The only thing missing from his repertoire today were a couple of gratuitous MFs and a "n(egro) PLEASE" retort - especially as he commented on Jared Kushner's racist blast from yesterday.

Trump actually tweeted about Obama during his speech (because Fox carried it live) and Obama pretty much called him lazy for spending his time watching TV instead of competently dealing with the coronavirus pandemic. Obama delivered the heat today and the networks can't stop showing it over and over again as he dragged Trump from Disney to Busch Gardens - up and down the I-4 corridor.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-27 04:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I think that fmr Pres Obama's remark about Pres Trump being jealous of the amount of media coverage for COVID-19 may be a bit more spot-on than it may appear on the surface. Pres Trump tried to talk the virus away, and he is jealous that the media is still covering it.

Pres Trump comments regularly upon the ratings of TV shows, he used to call [under a pseudonym) into the NYC gossip columns trying to get more coverage for citizen Trump.

Yeah, my guess is that fmr Pes Trump's comment may be spot-on.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 06:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm not sure what he expects the media to cover. Covid IS the story right now, it's spiking again and GETTING WORSE! The media can't cover Dotard's plans for a second term, since HE HAS NO PLANS! They can't cover his healthcare plan, since HE HAS NO HEALTHCARE PLAN! Fat Hitler has simply promised more of the same in a second term. He wants the media to cover the obviously made-up story regarding Hunter Biden's computer/emails, except that the only newspaper he could get to cover it is to newspapers what Hustler is to magazines. Even the Rupert Murdoch owned Wall Street Journal has debunked it. He is a desperate flailing pile of orange excrement who, for the first time since he took up residence in the WH, is finding that he can't control the media narrative.

#3 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-10-27 07:56 PM | Reply

@#3 ... I'm not sure what he expects the media to cover. ...

In a word: Trump.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 08:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#4 ... In a word: Trump.

And that's what they are covering, Trump's massive failure, it's why Combover Quisling will go down as by far the worst failure in the history of the American Presidency. Wait until we start finding out about all the behind the scene schemes he has been using to enrich himself, all the secrets he's sold to Putin and the rest of the world's kakistocracy.

#5 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-10-27 08:11 PM | Reply

In a word: Trump.
#4 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

B. Hussein literally said as much.

#6 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-10-27 08:27 PM | Reply

B. Hussein literally said as much.

#6 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

Did you do that on purpose?

Do you realize that is kinda offensive??

Did you mean "President Obama" or "Mr Obama"??

That's actually the way you would respectfully refer to and honor a former US President like President Obama who has earned your respect.

You can properly refer to former President Barrack Obama as either "President Obama" or "Mr. Obama."

As an American the way referred to him is offensive to me. And I am quite sure I am not the only one anymore.

#7 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-27 09:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I Alone Can Fix It' (July 2016)
www.theatlantic.com

...

Has any American political leader claimed so directly to embody the nation, to speak for it, to be its sole hope for redemption?

In 1968, Richard Nixon spoke of a nation torn apart by crime at home, and by wars abroad. But, he promised, better days were ahead. "Without God's help and your help, we will surely fail; but with God's help and your help, we shall surely succeed."

In 1980, Ronald Reagan painted a similarly dark picture of a troubled nation, and offered a similar message of redemption. But his acceptance speech called on Americans to work together to solve their problems. "I ask you not simply to Trust me,'" Reagan said, "but to trust your values -- our values -- and to hold me responsible for living up to them."

In 2000, George W. Bush called a troubled nation to renewal, and ended with a note of humility. "I know the presidency is an office that turns pride into prayer," he said, "But I am eager to start on the work ahead."

In 2016, Donald J. Trump mounted the stage, and told America that the nation is in crisis. That attacks on police and terrorism threaten the American way of life. That the United States suffers from domestic disaster, and international humiliation. That it is full of shuttered factories and crushed communities. That it is beset by "poverty and violence at home" and "war and destruction abroad."

And he offered them a solution.

I am your voice, said Trump. I alone can fix it. I will restore law and order. He did not appeal to prayer, or to God. He did not ask Americans to measure him against their values, or to hold him responsible for living up to them. He did not ask for their help. He asked them to place their faith in him.

He broke with two centuries of American political tradition, in which candidates for office -- and above all, for the nation's highest office"acknowledge their fallibility and limitations, asking for the help of their fellow Americans, and of God, to accomplish what they cannot do on their own....

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 09:33 PM | Reply

@#2 ... btw, I saw on bloombergTV that more than 50% of the number of people who voted in 2016 have voted already in 2020. ...

An article appeared on the website...

Early Voting Turnout in U.S. Election Has Already Reached Half of 2016 Total
www.bloomberg.com

...Americans have already cast half the total votes counted in 2016, as voters show intense enthusiasm and take precautions against the coronavirus pandemic.

With 7 days left to go until Election Day, 69.5 million early votes have been cast as of Tuesday afternoon, 50.4% of the total turnout from 2016, according to the U.S. Elections Project, which tracks early voting. That includes 46.3 million votes cast by mail-in ballots and 23.1 million in-person votes. There were 47.2 million early votes cast in all in 2016.

A record number of mail-in ballots are expected to be cast for the Nov. 3 election after states expanded absentee voting in response to the pandemic, and there is heavy balloting at many early-voting locations with voters seeking to avoid any lines or problems at the polls on Election Day.

Among the states with the highest percentage of its total 2016 vote already cast so far are Texas at 86.9%, Montana at 75.4% and North Carolina at 71.5%, according to the Elections Project...

[emphasis mine]

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 10:09 PM | Reply

The ever contrarian Texans; 40.8% voted in person, 5.2% voted by mail www.texastribune.org

I'll be included in tomorrows in person count.

#10 | Posted by et_al at 2020-10-27 10:32 PM | Reply

@#10 ... voted in person ...

The NYC evening local news showed lines of social distanced folk winding around multiple blocks in NYC waiting to vote.

In 2018 when I went to vote, the lines waiting to vote (mid-afternoon, when I usually just walk in, vote and leave in a few minutes) were long.

Voter enthusiasm is A Good Thing.

I wish it would be at this level every year.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 10:40 PM | Reply

For what it's worth in the Texas turning blue calculus, I'm out numbered 3 to 1 in my immediate family that I'm aware of.

#12 | Posted by et_al at 2020-10-27 10:59 PM | Reply

#@12

I don't know (and I won't know) how the town will handle the voting this year, as I voted by absentee ballot.

But usually, my experience was similar to the one you note.

Talking with some folk after Election Day in 2018, the turnout was a rather significant surprise for everyone, a welcome surprise, they said.

By the time the news reaches me, it is about Texas starting to turn purple, not blue. That seems to be causing some significant consternation among my friends who are in the Trump realm.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 11:13 PM | Reply

"It took longer to park and walk in than it did to get to the check in table, about 2 minutes."

I'm going way out on a limb with this guess:
You're white.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-27 11:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#14 ... I'm going way out on a limb with this guess: ...

Parking may be the giveaway here.

Republicans in the South have gone out of their way to make it supremely difficult to vote for those who do not drive.

Whether it be a driver's license required for ID, or moving the polling place to a location where public transportation does not go.

Their tactics for voter suppression are evil to our Democracy.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 11:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Their tactics for voter suppression are evil to our Democracy."

I'd love to know why Et_Al doesn't care if it's evil, only if it's legal.
I mean, there's one very obvious speculation: It suits his political agenda.
But I was really hoping for some substance.
That's okay, I'm used to being disappointed.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-27 11:29 PM | Reply

I can't see 14, so it must be that pos troll, Snoofy, whom I plonked years ago, saying something snide and racist about Texas and voter suppression.

For what it's worth, Harris County has about 125 early voting sites that are multi-service. We now use ebooks and anyone can vote anywhere. On election day there will be about 800. You can check wait times here. www.harrisvotes.com Click on the check mark and the estimated wait time will pop up during operating hours. Don't like the wait time at this one, go to another one. As for driving, the site I used today is located on a community college campus. There is a bus stop at the intersection where the building is located.

#17 | Posted by et_al at 2020-10-27 11:52 PM | Reply

@#17 ... I can't see 14 ...

That's probably your self-inflicted issue, don't complain to me about it. In my experience, this site has been quite reliable in displaying comments.

... Harris County has about 125 early voting sites that are multi-service. ...

Harris County has impressed me during this pandemic. The health director has been providing most useful guidance. I especially liked her comment to the effect of... ~we may be tired of the coronavirus, but it is not yet tired of us.~

So much knowledge and experience condensed into so few words.

#18 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-28 12:12 AM | Reply

"saying something snide and racist about Texas and voter suppression."

Actually my snide comment was about you.
Texas does a better job on racism than the South.
Better still if your definition of the South includes East Texas.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-28 12:25 AM | Reply

"Don't like the wait time at this one, go to another one."

You can go to any voting site?
Never heard of that before, and I've voted in like five different states!

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-28 12:28 AM | Reply

"Harris County has impressed me during this pandemic. The health director has been providing most useful guidance"

Houston has a massive public health infrastructure. Tons of hospitals and medical centers there. Their credibility is kinda on the line at a time like this. Also, Houston isn't exactly a GOP stronghold, so common sense hasn't been hunted to extinction there.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-28 12:30 AM | Reply

"I can't see 14, so it must be that pos troll, Snoofy"

Your powers of deduction are eclipsed only by your years-long act of cowardice!

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-10-28 12:32 AM | Reply

I think the county has done about as well as it could under the circumstances (Abbott's emergency powers). There was a blue sweep in '18 at the county level in all five major urban centers and I fully expect another this year which may also include the state houses. Though I lamented the loss of a long time, very effective Harris County Judge with Hidalgo's election, I have been pleasantly surprised with the job she's done. I think the quote about being "tired of covid" is attributed to her rather than a health official. We have a lot of very good ones being situated with the "world class Medical Center."

That sweep also included the county clerk who runs elections. He has done an admirable job of trying to expand voting opportunities. Despite his willingness to take on the powers that be, Abbott and state elections law (drop boxes, sending mail ballot applications and something else), he keeps running into the state Supreme Court, though I think he won one but don't remember the issue.

#23 | Posted by et_al at 2020-10-28 01:29 AM | Reply

@#23 ... It is self inflicted as I stated. It wasn't a complaint only a statement of fact when logged in. ...

I remain to be convinced why such a fact is germane to what you post here.

Let me phrase it this way, if you choose to be ignorant, why should I be concerned? I endeavor to look at what you post, not the self-inflicted ignorance of why you post it.

#24 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-28 02:05 AM | Reply

Let me phrase it this way. You partially quoted something I could not see for whatever reason. I noted that fact and moved on to substance. Perhaps you should do the same instead of focusing on what you deem irrelevant, for what, three, four posts now. Seems to me you are, in fact, concerned with the "not germane," your protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.

Or you could just kma. Your choice.

#25 | Posted by et_al at 2020-10-28 03:33 AM | Reply

This is anecdotal but I was impressed:

I watched an interview with a very enthusiastic Biden supporter who was standing in a long line in the pouring down rain, umbrella in hand, and she declared: (laughing with fist raised) "I'm going to vote even if I have to crawl over glass to do it!"

She received cheers.

That's symbolic of American commitment to democracy!

#26 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-10-28 05:26 AM | Reply

Never heard of that before, and I've voted in like five different states!

#20 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Voting in five different states! I didn't know we could do that either.

You know what THEY say...

Vote early and vote often!

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-28 11:40 AM | Reply

I can't believe that this idiot hasn't seen Trump's goals for a second term, bit.ly

#28 | Posted by fletch92131 at 2020-10-28 03:13 PM | Reply

#20 Snoofy: only in early voting. On Election Day, you must vote in the precinct you are registered in. But for early voting, and Texas has locations open for a full three weeks before Election Day, you can vote at ANY location.

#29 | Posted by ABH at 2020-10-29 11:43 AM | Reply

@#3 ... I'm not sure what he expects the media to cover. ...

In a word: Trump.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-10-27 08:05 PM | Reply | Fla

No. Sh*tler wants the media to lavish glowing praise on him for vanquishing the virus as per Dr. Ivanka.

#30 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-10-29 01:39 PM | Reply

The history of voter suppression in red states is well documented with white suburban districts being allocated many more voting machines per capita than urban minority districts.

Yes during early voting anyone can go to any polling site in the county here in NYS but if I am a poor urban voter that relies on the bus to take me to work, the bus lines drop significantly at the city. So how does that work for someone that does not have a car? Answer is it doesn't by design.

I saw an hour long wait at my early voting site and chose to drive 15 minutes to a nearby rural site which took me all of ten minutes to park, register, vote and get back in my car.

#31 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-10-29 01:50 PM | Reply

I'm not sure how you could ever work out similar numbers ofvoting machines per capita. Cities, especially cities like NYC are so densely populated either more rural/suburban precincts would be allowed 1. Or, every polling site in the city would need to be an auditorium with 100s of machines.

I guess not an impossible task, but it would certainly be Herculean.

I'd have to check, but I think they give every precinct the same number of machines and are just done with it.

#32 | Posted by ABH at 2020-10-29 03:39 PM | Reply