Saturday, October 31, 2020

Sir Thomas Sean Connery, the iconic Scottish actor and Hollywood legend who made a name for himself as the first James Bond, has died at the age of 90, according to multiple outlets. Connery was reportedly in the Bahamas and died overnight Friday in his sleep. ... In addition to 1962's Dr. No, Connery starred in From Russia with Love (1963), Goldfinger (1964), Thunderball (1965), and You Only Live Twice (1967). After a brief hiatus, he returned for a role in Diamonds are Forever (1971) before retiring from the Bond series with Never Say Never Again (1983).

Comments

Cheers - with a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred - to Sir Sean for a life well lived.

Jolly good show governor.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-31 09:01 AM | Reply

I thought he would...Die Another Day. Guess we'll just have to Live and Let Die.

#2 | Posted by qcp at 2020-10-31 09:08 AM | Reply

I guess the Holy Grail had a expiration date.

R.I.P. Mr. Connery.

#3 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2020-10-31 09:46 AM | Reply

My favorite Bond.

#4 | Posted by eberly at 2020-10-31 09:47 AM | Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#5 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-10-31 09:55 AM | Reply

Zardoz got his wish at last. 2020 is a year of death. So many,famous and not. Too many.

#6 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-10-31 09:59 AM | Reply

So he's got one more?

#7 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-10-31 10:07 AM | Reply

He was a lot more than James Bond. But it was his face I saw when I read Ian Fleming's novels, and I read all of them.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2020-10-31 10:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Godspeed, Doctor Jones

#9 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-10-31 10:18 AM | Reply

Truly one of my favorite actors of all time. RIP

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-10-31 10:24 AM | Reply

Proud smacker of women

#11 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-10-31 10:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

2020... WTF!!

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-31 11:12 AM | Reply

At least The Rona didn't get him.

And dying in your "sleep" seems like a nice way to go. If ya gotta go.

He died in peace and may he RIP.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-10-31 11:16 AM | Reply

#11 after reading the article, maybe not so funny after all

#14 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-31 11:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In honor of Sean - flaws and all - here is a quick funny tribute taken from the movie The Pest starring John Leguizamo.

In actuality, the Scottish "mob" character on the phone was the inspiration for the Mike Myer character Fat Bastard from his Austin Powers movies.

#15 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-31 12:58 PM | Reply

Some of the first books I read were written by Ian Fleming, and when the movies came out, Connery was my new hero.

Some of the only movies I actually watched at the drive-in... taking notes.

RIP

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2020-10-31 01:33 PM | Reply

#15 flaws and all
Yeah, I never burned my John Lennon albums.

But I must say tonyroma, in my wildest dreams I never imagined you'd mention Austin Powers. I'm glad you can smile.
;^)

#17 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-31 01:42 PM | Reply

I never imagined you'd mention Austin Powers

I always smile Bruce --- as much as I can. Lawrence O'Donnell said something last night that is very important. He said going into these last days that every one of us should be .......... optimistic. And you know, he's right. IF the polls and statistics are wrong, and IF Trump manages to claw out another victory, we can start dealing with that on Wednesday.

But for now, why not be optimistic and embrace all the good that we're seeing? All the people coming together hopefully for the greater good. All the energy, all the Partying at the Polls we're seeing all over America. Through the tension and stress there is so much life for those of us blessed in not having to personally deal with the coronavirus. We do have the hope of far better days in front of us, so let's embrace that hope in this moment because doing that feels so much better than doing the opposite in being paralyzed by our fears.

We woke up this morning in good health safe in our homes, and the sun is shining in the Fall sky. It's a good day.

#18 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-10-31 02:00 PM | Reply

Christ, Tony is Gracie, lol.

#19 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-10-31 02:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

The Rapy

#20 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-10-31 02:20 PM | Reply

I didn't know about his woman issues until now, but it does seem like he atoned for his statements ultimately. Why he would say that in the first place? I don't know.

Personally, I think his Celebrity Jeopardy appearances were his crowning achievements (sarcasm)

But my God were they funny.

www.youtube.com

#21 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-10-31 06:17 PM | Reply

But my God were they funny.

www.youtube.com

Posted by bocaink

SNL milked that for quite awhile.

#22 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-10-31 07:08 PM | Reply