Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Jodi Doering, a registered nurse based in Woonsocket, South Dakota, had a thread of tweets go viral over the weekend describing the scene inside the emergency room. Among the tweets, Doering said, "These people really think this isn't going to happen to them. And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It's like a (expletive) horror movie that never ends. There's no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

On Saturday, South Dakota reported a state record of 53 coronavirus-related deaths. The state has a population of 884,000, which is roughly one-tenth the size of New York City. At its worse, New York City was experiencing nearly 700 coronavirus-related deaths per day.

According to the COVID Tracking Project, there are nearly 560 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in South Dakota hospitals. Nearly one in 1,600 of all South Dakotans are currently hospitalized with COVID-19.

In a Monday interview with CNN, Doering described her frustration.

"I think the hardest thing to watch is that people are still looking for something else and they want a magic answer and they don't want to believe that COVID is real," Doering said. "And the reason I tweeted what I did is that it wasn't one particular patient, it's just a culmination of so many people. And their last dying words are, this can't be happening. It's not real. And when they should be spending time face timing their families, they're filled with anger and hatred and it just made me really sad the other night and I just can't believe those are going to be their last thoughts and words"

Comments

"This can't be. It's not real".

A powerful ability to deny immediate, over-whelming reality.

Trump supporters always get what they deserve, although they deny it.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2020-11-17 08:05 AM | Reply

"This can't be. It's not real"

Politics aside you have to feel sorry for them dying thinking like that. It's kinda tragic, actually. Especially for a religious person.

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-11-17 08:44 AM | Reply

Nah,they're stupid. Dumb rubes. If they're that damn dumb. ---- em'.

#3 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-11-17 09:25 AM | Reply

"If they're that damn dumb. ---- em'."

I can't disagree more. That's the kind of mindset that made you a Trump supporter in 2016.

#4 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-11-17 09:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-made you a Trump supporter in 2016.

never going to live that down, are you?

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2020-11-17 09:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

While I won't say I am happy these people are dying, I am waaaaay past feeling sorry for them. The level of willful ignorance displayed even on their dyeing beds is amazing and sad.

#6 | Posted by schmanch at 2020-11-17 11:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was never a Trump supporter. I was a Hillary hater and a corporate Dem hater. You're actually lucky I didn't vote for him again. I don't like Biden at all.

Trump sucks. No question. But the inequities that led to his rise haven't gone anywhere. Sleep tight, self righteous --------. This problem isn't solved.

The more self righteous and condescending you get,the less you will convince the people you need to win.

The Democratic party's attitude about the poor, especially poor whites, is their problem.

They will keep losing until they get that.

Biden only won because Trump was SO incompetent. If Trump had been even slightly more able in the job Biden would have been crushed.

A little humility is in order given how narrow the victory was especially given how stupid and ineffective Trump has been.

You guys really don't get it.

#7 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-11-17 11:54 AM | Reply

I was never a Trump supporter. I was a Hillary hater and a corporate Dem hater.

Meh, you're arguing between buying six or a half dozen.

#8 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-11-17 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"This can't be. It's not real"

Thanks Trump.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-11-17 02:19 PM | Reply

The Democratic party's attitude about the poor...is their problem.
They will keep losing until they get that.
#7 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

That they should have good education and healthcare? That they should make a living wage and not get ripped off or injured by giant corporations?
I can see how those are losing attitudes.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-11-17 02:38 PM | Reply

This doesn't surprise me
It perfectly describes the mentally of every "moderate" GOP cult member I know

#11 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2020-11-17 05:41 PM | Reply

Trump was sabotage. A bomb thrown into the system. Too many working their asses off and not getting by. All while watching others skate by.

The Clinton wing of the party did great damage to the credibility of the dems as being for the working class and poor.

Clinton was republican in all but name.

#12 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-11-17 11:53 PM | Reply

#12 |

Jocularity!

www.vox.com

#13 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-17 11:56 PM | Reply

"Clinton was republican in all but name."

Stephen Breyer on line #1.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg on line #2, calling long distance.

#14 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-11-18 12:17 AM | Reply