Thursday, November 19, 2020

Wajahat Ali: 73 million Americans voted for Donald Trump. He doubled down on all his worst vices, and he was rewarded for it with 10 million more votes than he received in 2016. [W]e are now being lectured by a chorus of voices including Pete Buttigieg and Ian Bremmer, to "reach out" to Trump voters and "empathize" with their pain. I attempted to take it. Believe me, it's not worth it.

Comments

So in late 2016, I told my speaking agency to book me for events in the states where Trump won. I wanted to talk to the people the media calls "real Americans" from the "heartland," - which is of course America's synonym for white people, Trump's most fervent base. Over the next four years I gave more than a dozen talks to universities, companies and a variety of faith-based communities.

And I listened. Those in the audience who supported Trump came up to me and assured me they weren't racist. They often said they'd enjoyed the talk, if not my politics. Still, not one told me they'd wavered in their support for him. Instead, they repeated conspiracy theories and Fox News talking points about "crooked Hillary." Others made comments like, "You're a good, moderate Muslim. How come others aren't like you?"

I did my part. What was my reward? Listening to Trump's base chant, "Send her back!" in reference to Representative Ilhan Omar, a black Muslim woman, who came to America as a refugee. I saw the Republican Party transform the McCloskeys into victims, even though the wealthy St. Louis couple illegally brandished firearms against peaceful BLM protesters. Their bellicosity was rewarded with a prime time slot at the Republican National Convention where they warned about "chaos" in the suburbs being invaded by people of color. Their speech would have fit well in "The Birth of a Nation."

We cannot help people who refuse to help themselves. Trump is an extension of their id, their culture, their values, their greed. He is their defender and savior. He is their blunt instrument. He is their destructive drug of choice.

Don't waste your time reaching out to Trump voters like I did. Instead, invest your time organizing your community, registering new voters and supporting candidates who reflect progressive values that uplift everyone, not just those who wear MAGA hats, in local and state elections. Work also to protect Americans against lies and conspiracy theories churned out by the right wing media and political ecosystem.

This, ... so much this.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-19 08:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I still can never understand how the Right-wing always gets to define the agenda. When Pubs win it's "we have to try to understand why we lost" when the Dems win it's "we have to try to understand why they didn't vote for us". It's always the Cons that get the attention.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-11-19 08:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It's always the Cons that get the attention.

Because it's the Cons who have a massive multi-media monolithic structure that broadcasts whatever propaganda message necessary to serve their immediate agenda - and a sycophantic audience who believes whatever gruel of lies and half truths that they're spoon fed is the absolute gospel truth.

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-19 08:24 AM | Reply

This, ... so much this.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma

Aren't you over on another thread talking about how biden should ignore all of trump's crimes because it might upset trump supporters?

Now you're on this thread agreeing that trying to appeal to trump supporters is a waste of time.

#4 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-19 02:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This was the most disingenious article I think I have ever read. He already had his conclusions before he even set out. The McClosky's never said anything about being invaded by "people of color".

And "real americans from the heartland" isnt only about white Americans.

That's the real racism there, he brought it into the conversation, no one else did.

What a bunch of B.S.

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2020-11-19 02:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#4 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2020-11-19 02:07 PM | REPLY | F

Yeppers he is.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-11-19 02:21 PM | Reply

Hardly. I'm against waving a red cape at a raging bull like you seem to always want to do.

Then you bitch when the bull keeps goring the matador.

#7 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-19 02:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is what I believe in and work toward. All Speaks and Laura do is bitch and moan on the internet instead of pounding the pavement - working from the ground up - trying to bring more actual voters to the polls in support of the policies that will lead to the change we all want to see.

#8 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-19 02:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by tonyroma

The ground up work was done to get people in office who would uphold the law for a change. The work paid off, we got people elected who could uphold the law, but now you're saying doing what they were elected to do and upholding the law would be too upsetting to the insane opposition.

So what did we do all that groundwork for to get new leadership elected if the new leadership isn't going to do what's right?

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-19 02:33 PM | Reply

And Boaz, you're so full of ---- your eyes are brown.

I have a white friend who lives in St. Louis that know the McCloskeys personally. They were sitting by the pool drinking with friends when they decided to go grab their guns to try and scare Black people "invading their neighborhood" headed to the mayor's home in the same neighborhood to protest.

They're rightly charged with crimes and will have their day in court. No one threatened them or their property. Bigots do as bigots feel, and the GOP put them front and center at their convention, so it tells you exactly what the party both celebrates and stands for.

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-19 02:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'm all for people doing what's right. I just don't think that prosecuting Trump should be Biden's or the Democrats' most immediate priority as people are dying and losing their homes and livelihoods as we speak. And unless a miracle happens in Georgia, everyone is going to need at least some GOP senator's help to accomplish anything positive in this regards.

Again, nuance, not denial.

#11 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-19 02:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-It's always the Cons that get the attention.

"Marsha Marsha Marsha!!"

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2020-11-19 02:38 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

Because moderates run the Democratic Party, and they prefer capitulating to conservatives rather than embracing liberals.

They're just sure, like the article alludes, that Trump voters can become future Democratic voters, if only the party moves to the right, to accommodate them.

#13 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-11-19 02:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The McClosky's never said anything about being invaded by "people of color".
#5 | POSTED BY BOAZ

You're defending the McCloskys?

Boaz. You don't have to defend all the racist bigots in the Republican Party.

Seriously. The McClosky's are garbage human beings who pointed guns at people walking by their house.

Also. Don't pretend it wasn't because they were POC.

If they were all white folks, the McCloskys wouldn't have even noticed.

#14 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-11-19 02:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by boaz

LOL!!!

Dude belongs on South Park.

#15 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-11-19 02:48 PM | Reply

Knowing a lot of Trumpers, they've bought into the Trump marketing campaign: "Democrats are evil socialists that want to take away your guns and religious freedoms."

#16 | Posted by Pirate at 2020-11-19 03:30 PM | Reply

It's wrong to take away someone's emotional support.

It's also wrong to get emotional support from your guns.

But I can understand it. Had I been a little old lady who got raped by a cop, I'd probably feel better with a gun in my purse. But it's only an illusion of safety.

Most people who own guns, the only person they kill is themselves.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-19 03:33 PM | Reply

We can't even reach out to Never Trumpers like JeffJ and MadBomber and Eberly.

Maybe the Never Trumpers should reach out to the Trumpers. They're all right-wingers after all.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-19 03:37 PM | Reply

Did anyone watch Rudy's press conference earlier today? He's tying election fraud to socialism, even suggesting Venezuela and Maduro have a hand in stealing the election away from Trump. And of course, George ------- Soros.

My god, no wonder he's demanding $20,000 per day to peddle this bull ----. It's a heavy lift that will ultimately discredit him in any future capacity. Time to make that retirement dough, eh Rudy?!

#19 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-11-19 03:38 PM | Reply

Most people who own guns, the only person they kill is themselves.
#17 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Or their child. Rash of dads shooting and killing their teenaged children after mistaking them for late night intruders.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-11-19 03:39 PM | Reply

Again, nuance, not denial.

#11 | Posted by tonyroma

How would biden's attorney general prosecuting trump's crimes stop biden from addressing covid?

As I said before, and the past 12 years have proven, repubs wont work with dems no matter how reasonable or forgiving dems are.

#21 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-19 04:10 PM | Reply

Speaks, really? Do you not understand what political capital is? Do you realize that no President has an inexhaustible supply at their beck and call?

The only reason the GOP HAS to work with Biden and the Dems is because GOP governors and mayors will demand it because their local citizens are suffering due to Trump's inaction. This is called common cause.

The GOP is not ready to cut ties with Trump yet and he's showing no signs of allowing that to happen. INITIALLY, the DOJ going after Trump as soon as Biden has his team in place will become the cause celebre' for the GOP to stonewall everything else Joe would like to accomplish. While they may work on Covid, they certainly won't work on raising the minimum wage, or spending trillions for infrastructure/green reindustrialization. As you note, we've seen this movie before.

The best idea that I've seen was the notion of a bipartisan commission to investigate the Trump years, but based on what we've seen with how the bipartisan Senate Intel Committee report was dismissed by the right, they've shown that they will refuse to consider anything that they don't want to believe. So at this point, I wonder if anything coming out of such investigations would be accepted as non-partisan fact and not simply political payback by Democrats for which the GOP will want their own new pound of flesh over.

For every action there will be an equal and disproportionate reaction when it involves holding Republicans responsible for their unconstitutional and illegal conduct. It is what it is. I just don't want vengeance to become the reason why the Democrats aren't able to get necessary things done in the short 2 year window we currently have for doing so.

#22 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-19 04:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Most people who own guns, the only person they kill is themselves.

#17 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Ummmm I think you misstated that a bit.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2020-11-19 05:07 PM | Reply

People who own guns, when they kill someone, they usually kill themselves.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-19 06:14 PM | Reply

I think you understood what I meant, so I'm not sure why clarification was necessary.

But I'll try not to shoot the messenger too much. Thats's your job, gun owner.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-19 06:16 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by tonyroma

Anyone who's been awake for the past 12 years already knows the GOP wont work with biden on those issues no matter what, so letting a crook get away with crimes in hopes that his cult will be nice to you is pointless. It's a massive concession without a payoff.

You can say "he shouldn't prosecute trump first thing" and yes, covid should be his highest priority. But the gov can do more than one thing at a time. And if he waits too long to do it, then the excuse becomes "he waited too long, the country has moved on, opening old wounds, blah blah blah."

Just like the time to discuss gun control IS right after a mass shooting, the time to prosecute a criminal president is right after he loses his immunity from prosecution.

#26 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-19 06:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#24 This is why I as a non gun owning lefty who supports gun ownership.

I would support a no MAGAt left unarmed act to ensure every red neck failure has a gun handy to improve the gene pool.

#27 | Posted by bored at 2020-11-19 06:46 PM | Reply

FYI MAGAts
Soros wants to ban Russian roulette. Defend your rights.
Don't let liberial marxists steal your god given rights.

#28 | Posted by bored at 2020-11-19 06:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You can't reach across the aisle to people who think democrats are pedophiles.

#29 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2020-11-19 07:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

Live in WV currently, an extremely Red
extremely dumb state. Lived in NE before that,
an extremely Red extremely dumb state. Republicans in general, come in two basic flavors, really mean, or really dumb...
Often, both at the same damned time. I am largely done talking to them in life (outside of small talk at the bar or diner, or exchanging pleasantries)... They (the non-rich ones) continually vote against their own best self-interest, and 95% of them are so brainwashed that they will never change. I find it tedious at best and exhausting at worst to deal with them. I'm 53 now, and have spent most my life amongst them. They are so racist, so hateful, and so full of self-pity and whining, never confronting the fact that their own life decisions have gotten them exactly where they are. I used to feel sorry for them, but I've grown too old and too tired of their pathetic 'blame everyone else for their own problems' schtick...can't take it anymore. So I promised myself to finally move to a blue state or leave the country entirely in retirement...and live as an expat. No longer have to listen to their crap or deal with their ----. Everyone deserves a break towards the end.

#30 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-11-19 07:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

---- them and ---- their feelings!

They need to quit being snowflakes, man up, and take the L!

#31 | Posted by a_monson at 2020-11-19 11:53 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by tonyroma

You are delusional if you think Mitch is going to allow anything on the agenda to get done. Depending on the results of the runoff in Georgia of course but it's Georgia...

#32 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-20 09:40 AM | Reply

#27 | Posted by bored

Well since a gun is several times more likely to kill someone in your household than an outsider - please help strengthen the gene pool.

#33 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-20 09:42 AM | Reply

#28 | Posted by bored

I would like to offer you a cry towel for your Soros addiction and butt hurt.

Damn snowflakes like you are so easily deluded by Social Media and fake news it is unbelievable. I highly recommend you sign up for a class on propaganda at your local community college.

#34 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-20 09:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

ACA calling for you on line #1. Paris Climate Accord reinstitution is holding on line #2. The DPA said it will call back later.

I laid out the parameters of my expectations and both history and common sense back them up as truth.

#35 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-20 10:03 AM | Reply

Haha. This kind of journalism is the bane of America and why freedom of the press damages America. I've seen almost an exact template of this article throughout the years, especially when Obama was POTUS. I'm sure none of you have because, now that I've discovered you don't read anything but Liberal news, I know objectivity is a lost cause for DR Libs. Quite a shame.

#36 | Posted by humtake at 2020-11-20 11:53 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

donald lost. You can go away for 4 years now.

#37 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-11-20 11:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#35 | Posted by tonyroma

ACA was passed with a dem senate. Try again. The climate accord was nonbinding and worthless as soon as an evil president won. Try again.

The GOP will not work with biden on anything, just like obama.
Would you rather have the GOP not work with biden and prosecute trump for his crimes, or have the GOP not work with biden and NOT prosecute trump for his crimes? Those are your choices.

#38 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-20 12:19 PM | Reply

I know objectivity is a lost cause for DR Libs. Quite a shame.

#36 | Posted by humtake

This is coming from the a guy who's so objective that he joined the cult of a con man who lies to him every day.

#39 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-20 12:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You too have a reading comprehension problem. The nation's business will continue on regardless of who controls the US Senate. Legislation will be proposed, some will pass and others won't. This is the ongoing story of our government.

The fact that you actually believe that prosecuting the outgoing Administration is more important than taking care of the pressing needs of American citizens who are dying by the thousands says more about you than it does about me. Our priorities are different and that's each our right.

Both can and will be accomplished regardless of what you think. There has never been a moment that nothing at all was done in the US Senate. McConnell's come close, but even he wasn't able to stop everything of importance.

#40 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-11-20 12:33 PM | Reply

I'm looking for a Trumper to reach out to me. Should I hold my breath?

#41 | Posted by Zed at 2020-11-20 12:46 PM | Reply

I would like to offer you a cry towel for your Soros addiction and butt hurt.
#34 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

GP - I think you misread BORED's posts

#42 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-11-20 01:56 PM | Reply

#42 | Posted by schifferbrains

Totally did misread that - Apologies Bored.

#43 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-20 03:31 PM | Reply

#36 | Posted by humtake

Objectivity? Lost by DR Left? Be clear - objectivity on what? The ability to understand factual information is clearly lost on the right - that may be worse.

For example, I personally know it is hard to be objective on anything Trump because it has become pretty clear he is in it for himself period. I personally have objectively said he did a good thing here and there. Unfortunately there is always the BUT with Trump. For example - Going after China - great thing. Rolling over and playing dead when you have your Trademarks and it turns out trade wars are not an "easy win" is totally Trump.

#44 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-20 03:36 PM | Reply