Friday, November 20, 2020

We listened to Bob Dylan, the 60's counter-culture icon, after seeing his name mentioned in President Obama's book A Promised Land. We also got to ask President Obama a few questions, and we'll ask him even more on the December episode of BookTube only on YouTube 12/16/20.

Comments

Pretty fun stuff.

There's a whole genre of youtube channels with mostly young kids listening to old rock music and reacting to it, and Obama shows up while these kids prep for a Dec Booktube interview.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-20 12:14 AM | Reply

Here's a few channels I've seen *pandemic youtube binging

Dicon Dissectional - 16 year old actually checks out the song histories and lyrics, bands

www.youtube.com

Andy and Alex - college kid musicians bobblehead to the oldies

www.youtube.com

Endeavor - cute girl... you may also notice some music

www.youtube.com

apparently there's a lot more people doing this, which is kinda cool seeing young people appreciate older music

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-20 12:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Whatever else you think about Obama, he was certainly the coolest President we ever had. Remember when he said he could sing like Al Green and then proved it?

#3 | Posted by danni at 2020-11-20 10:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

ha! even rogers got zapped by youtube... i've about given up on posting them in the thread header

It's also cool when young people cover the old, er, classic music:

www.youtube.com

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-20 01:20 PM | Reply

I watch these guys. I think a lot of it is staged. There are some songs that there is no way in hell I believe they've never heard before.

#5 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-11-20 02:29 PM | Reply

I love these guys.

#6 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2020-11-20 03:17 PM | Reply

My favorite is when one of them listens to The Righteous Brothers for the first time. He stops the song after a few sung lines, and then trepidatiously says...

These guys sound...black!

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-11-20 03:54 PM | Reply

One of my favorites is when they hear Dolly Parton sing Jolene.... "Jolene!"

www.youtube.com

HERE'S the youtube link to the video at the thread article link...

www.youtube.com

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-20 04:08 PM | Reply

This is one of my favorite live performances ever... this one featuring Terry Kath, who died way too young.

Reaction from 16 year old kid

www.youtube.com

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-20 04:21 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by Corky

I've been enjoying those videos!

I know the guy Chicago hired to replace Terry Kath, Donnie Dacus. The other guys in the band were all married, but Donnie was a single swinger and had some other, um, habits they didn't approve of, so it didn't work out in the long run ...

#10 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-20 05:58 PM | Reply

Yeah, AU, they were a different band without Kath, but still sold 100 million or so records, one of the most after the Beatles as I recall.

That entire concert at Tanglewood in 1970 was incredible, ending with their cover of I'm a Man with Terry Kath on vocals and an extraordinary lead guitar.

here's the link:

www.youtube.com

they were already playing a lot of songs that became classics years later

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-20 06:40 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by Corky

Thanks, I'll check it out.

They were certainly a super tight band with a unique sound.

#12 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-20 06:56 PM | Reply

As I recall one of the first to bring brass to a rock band successfully. Think they were panned by a lot of rock purists at first.

#13 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-20 07:01 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by Corky

The only other similar band that comes immediately to mind is Blood, Sweat, & Tears.

To my ear, after Kath died, Chicago's recordings turned softer and missed the rock edge he gave to their sound.

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-20 07:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

First listen to BAND-MAID - Domination (LIVE) |REACTION| (Japanese Girl Rock band)

www.youtube.com

#15 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-21 01:16 AM | Reply

original vid

BAND-MAID / DOMINATION (Feb. 14th, 2020)
1,148,501 viewsMar 20, 2020