Saturday, November 21, 2020

The iconic Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico is to be dismantled amid safety fears, officials have announced. A review found that the [1,000-foot-wide] telescope was at risk of catastrophic collapse, following damage to its support system.

Comments

The instrument platform could be partially dismantled while in place so that cranes could move it onto terra firma.
A much lighter and serviceable platform could replace it. The reflector can be worked on after the instrument platform is made safe.
I think there would be many tower climbers and suppliers eager to start on this.

#1 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-11-21 08:22 AM | Reply

There's no money to pay them. It survives on grants. It's not nearly as well funded as the TMT in Hawaii.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-11-21 08:46 AM | Reply

Awwww damn!

While I was down in Puerto Rico working (briefly and unrelated to) I was all over this radio telescope. It was the highlight. There is a surprisingly nice museum (welcome center) and gift shop right there.

The huge cement support structures that guide the cables that hold up the center section above the dish aren't hollow like in GoldenEye - in case you were wondering :)

Those cables are 3" thick steel cables.

Shout out to UCF for all their work, management of this facility, and partnership with the folks at Arecibo. What a shame the plans to repair and upgrade this great observatory won't be realized.

#3 | Posted by YAV at 2020-11-21 09:10 AM | Reply

This is very unfortunate. Sad in fact.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-21 12:24 PM | Reply

This is a sad Wow! signal.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-21 12:31 PM | Reply

I visited this structure during my honeymoon, almost 25 years ago. It's shame but it had its glory, now just obsolete. Good decision, time to move on.

#6 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2020-11-21 01:50 PM | Reply

I've never seen it in person, but remember marveling at it when I saw it in a James Bond movie.

I hope it can be rebuilt. This radio telescope has gifted America and the world with a lot of knowledge.

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-21 03:14 PM | Reply