Saturday, November 21, 2020

In a historic test, a U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer shot down an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) warhead aimed at a patch of ocean off the Hawaiian Islands.

Comments

So ground based star wars.
Might stop a few, but it will be so expensive we should just let the nuclear attacks wash over us.

#1 | Posted by bored at 2020-11-21 04:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

After how many misses?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-11-21 04:59 PM | Reply

@#2

Yup.

I also thought about the hit-to-miss ratio.

Though I doubt if that ration would ever be unclassified info.

It could be similar to poker, the bluff is what counts.

Until you are called.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-11-21 06:17 PM | Reply

There are many who think this "missile shield" has been up and running for years.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-11-21 06:24 PM | Reply

The Navy shot down an ICBM for the first time, really? They said "look what we can do"? My guess is they got caught doing it.

Kinda like "we deciphered their secret code today"

#5 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-11-21 07:01 PM | Reply

There's one now.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-11-21 07:12 PM | Reply

@#5 ... My guess is they got caught doing it. ...

Ya mean that Popular Mechanics is not a place to read about deep, dark defense secrets?

I'm shocked!

Shocked, I say!!!

[channeling Foghorn Leghorn]

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-11-21 07:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#7 yeah we built this special vessel to harvest manganese nodules

#8 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-11-21 07:19 PM | Reply

Time Zone - World Destruction
www.youtube.com

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-11-21 08:45 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-22 04:10 AM | Reply

The U.S. has been dealing in this technology for many years now.

After how many misses?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL

Who cares? At least they are trying. Practice makes perfect. Yea, it's expensive. But anything to ensure our enemies cant make the West Coast glow.

#11 | Posted by boaz at 2020-11-22 08:38 AM | Reply

This is just the stuff they're making public. Maybe it's all we have, but it's good to have this option other than a Doctor Strangelove mutual assured destruction

#12 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-11-22 09:00 AM | Reply

@#10 ... It's probably been decades since I heard that song last. Probably at a Club in in 1990s. ...

I happened upon it last week as I was digitizing some of my vinyl...

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-11-22 12:19 PM | Reply

You'll notice the simulated warhead did not use any sort of penetration aids. Anybody who could build an ICBM and nuclear warhead can spend just a few dollars more and include lots of cheap, low tech, aids that would completely confuse any know defense system. A real test would involve a team unconnected to the defense contractors that would design such aids and let the defense system try to defeat them.

#14 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2020-11-22 12:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

After how many misses?

#2 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2020-11-21 04:59 PM | FLAG:

19 attempts, 16 hits as tests have scaled up. Separately the SM-3 system has shot down a satellite on it's first attempt. It went 5 for 6 against targets with decoys.

Not bad for one layer in a multi-layered system that uses SM-2, 3, & 6s, deployable lasers, David's Sling system, etc.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-11-22 12:54 PM | Reply

THAAD, the US Army System, had 6 failures in a row during validation testing. During manufacturing testing later it saw 13 successes in a row.

If only there was a Space Force that could work to consolidated all of these different, often identical and overlapping programs.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-11-22 12:56 PM | Reply

You'll notice the simulated warhead did not use any sort of penetration aids.

#14 | POSTED BY SOMEBODYELSE AT 2020-11-22 12:48 PM | FLAG:

That's called a separating target, and yes the US military tests against those.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-11-22 12:58 PM | Reply

The U.S. has been dealing in this technology for many years now.

After how many misses?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL

My wife's cousin, an engineer, lived for many years with his wife on the island of Kwajalein (in the Pacific), testing interceptor systems that could knock out an ICBM. They've been doing this testing for many, many years.

I remember watching a show this small outpost on a peninsula in the Philippines put on for the PAC commander's (the BIG kahuna) visit that day. There were more than a dozen missile launchers along the shore pointing a particular direction out to sea, and submarines firing missles for them to hit, though I never saw a puff of smoke in the sky. They missed or it was too far to see. Who knows how much that little show cost? Tens of millions, I'd guess.

#18 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-22 05:31 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

I am sure the location is beautiful but that is one remote place to be stationed for years.

Anti-missile testing there goes back to the 1950s...

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-23 11:53 AM | Reply

He was a civilian engineer making big bucks, so I guess the trade off was worth it. I was there for 2 days in the 70's with a USO show (for military personnel and civilian contractors). They offered us guys in the band a well paying gig for 18 months, but in the short amount of time we were there we quickly learned about the drama surrounding affairs, and the lack of single women our age (18-20). Plus, it's really small.

#20 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-23 03:11 PM | Reply