Sunday, November 22, 2020

The first Americans to receive a Covid-19 vaccine could get it as soon as 11 December, according to the head of the US coronavirus vaccine programme.

Comments

Hopefully to "essential" workers first.

#1 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-11-22 11:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Abortion soup for all?

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-11-22 02:26 PM | Reply

The abortion cocktail is a treatment, not a cure.

But yes, abortion treatments for all who can afford it.

The FDA emergency approved Regeneron yesterday. That's the drug Trump got at Walter Reed.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-22 02:47 PM | Reply

#1 Except "essential workers" mean all members of the Trump administration, RNC and GOP members of Congress.

#4 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-11-22 06:03 PM | Reply

all members of the Trump administration

Very soon there won't be any of those.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-11-22 06:15 PM | Reply

"Abortions for some - miniature American flags for others!"

-Kang, The Destroyer

#6 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-11-22 10:10 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

First Americans
Good we definitely need to treat them first. The Navajo have been hit pretty hard by this virus.

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-11-22 10:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#5 | Posted by REDIAL

Not soon enough given the damage they are inflicting on this democratic process.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-11-23 08:19 AM | Reply

40 million doses a month - or 20 million vaccinations a month.
330 million people in the U.S.
If we get 70% vaccinated, that'll be 230 million.
230/20 puts us at one year to get enough vaccinated.
If we can get both approved and both in production to provide another 20 million a month, we can drop that year long deployment nearly in half (delay due to start, staging, etc.) so optimistically we're looking at getting enough people vaccinated for some kind of herd immunity by August next year.
Could they up it to 50 million (Pfizer)? Maybe. I'm just going with a reasonably optimistic forecast (IMHO).

#9 | Posted by YAV at 2020-11-23 09:03 AM | Reply

AstraZeneca's vaccine also looks promising. They're saying "highly effective" - but at 70% I'm not sure how popular that one's going to be.

#10 | Posted by YAV at 2020-11-23 09:08 AM | Reply

Will this be a yearly vaccine, what with the virus mutations? Maybe they could combo it with the flu shot? I'm all about the medical visit combos. Going in this morning for a sore throat that might be strep, while I'm at it, going to get the flu shot plus a long term prescription refill before my "flee-dumb" flight to Seoul where I'll begin my next gig teaching for the Korean government.

#11 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-11-23 09:38 AM | Reply

"They're saying "highly effective" - but at 70% I'm not sure how popular that one's going to be."

If it doesn't need to be stored at super low temperatures it's going to be the far more practical choice.

#12 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-11-23 09:53 AM | Reply

More data on the AZ vaccine - half-dose followed with a full dose, they're saying, is showing 90% effective.

#13 | Posted by YAV at 2020-11-23 10:45 AM | Reply

To Hagbard's point:
Pfizer: 95% effective (-94C +/- 18F for up to 10 days, 17.5F to 28F to for an additional 5 days)
www.pfizer.com
Moderna: 95% effective (36-46F for 30 days, -4F 6 months) investors.modernatx.com
AstraZeneca: 90% effective (haven't seen the data yet, should be nearly the same as the Moderna?)

#14 | Posted by YAV at 2020-11-23 11:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Update:
AZ's is normal refrigeration, no freezer required.
Cost is ~$3.00/dose

#15 | Posted by YAV at 2020-11-23 01:14 PM | Reply

I've already had the Astra Zenica Vaccine. I'm in their trial. In the study 1/3rd received a placebo and 2/3rds received the vaccine. I know I had the vaccine and not saline because I had an immune response. The injection site was sore for almost 2 weeks and the day after vaccination I ran a fever of 100 for several hours.

I decided to participate in the trial because my job duties make me more exposed than the general public. I've worked for my states department of health for over 20 years inspecting healthcare facilities for regulatory compliance. When covid hit we began conducting infection control inspections in nursing homes BECAUSE they were having a covid outbreak.

#16 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2020-11-23 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Is the vaccine pumpkin spice flavor? Turkey? Or has it switched to peppermint bark?

#17 | Posted by catdog at 2020-11-23 04:41 PM | Reply

The plans I've seen have the vaccine going first to medical workers and first responders. Definitely the medical workers, but I would think that most police and firemen are young and healthy enough to be placed further down the list. The DoD has had more than 74k cases of COVID within the ranks, and only 11 deaths. I would imagine that most first responders are relatively analogous.

#18 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-24 02:20 PM | Reply

"The DoD has had more than 74k cases of COVID within the ranks, and only 11 deaths."

Nonsense. The National Guard alone just announced it's 11th COVID death:
www.defense.gov

#19 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-11-24 09:28 PM | Reply

You're not good at reading.

Go down the page to the box labelled DOD COVID-19 Cumulative Totals. The DoD has had a total of 74,992 cases, 821 hospitalizations, 46,102 recoveries, and 11 deaths. That's across the DoD's 2,223,575 uniformed service members.

#20 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-25 08:49 AM | Reply