I would agree w one thing from this article, and that is a lack of transmission of
democratic ideas and policy choices breaking
through to, and mattering to, those who lean
right in suburban America. The dems NEED to find a way to advance policies that matter to
everyday suburban whites. Three areas I would
definitely focus on.
1. Shore up Social Security- (and let the Right beat themselves to death trying to defeat
the Dems defending Middle America's right to a
2. Help eliminate SOME student debt. Shoot for
a goal of eliminating 10k of student debt per student (or 5k, or some % thereof). And again,
let the Right flail and beat themselves to death, defending big loan companies right to squeeze American students out of every penny
3. Help shore up/fix Obamacare/Medical care in this country. One of the only things I agreed w Trump on was that he was right to challenge the medical industry's dominance on setting the prices for prescriptions in this country. Let's face it (whether you label it Socialism,
or something else) the medical industry like all industries in this country is there to maximize profits. And our country is almost unique in it's fear of socialized anything, and it's insistence of putting corporate profit over the well being of the people. Deny the corporations their outrageous profits, and support the people's right to affordable Healthcare.
4. Instead of talking about it, actually invest those 10's of billions of dollars into fixing our roads, our crumbling bridges, and in converting our infrastructure into a Green Economy.
5. And lastly, realize that it is stupid to chase total solutions to any problem, and that incremental progress, is still real, electable, statistically measurable process. Obama's and HRC's main flaw w Healthcare (I thought) was that they both tried to tackle the whole issue. And both became bogged down by the enormity of it all. It hindered other areas that needed addressing.
I believe most Democrats CRAVE the old actions speak louder than words democrats of old. Your F.D.R.'s and your Truman's. And I believe Middle America would rally behind that. The corporate and Wall Street Dems have been wrong for the past 2 decades. And they need to take a back seat.
Do this, and the Dems will have no problems getting elected. Don't do this, and expect more happy days for Republicans.
I have spoken.