Monday, November 30, 2020

Andrew L. Yarrow: While Trump made surprising gains in other demographics, Biden made unexpected gains among white male voters in the election. Here is how he keeps them.

Comments

"The one significant demographic in which his support cratered compared to 2016 was among white men, who make up more than one-third of the electorate. Biden made an impressive 11 percentage point gain among white, college-educated men and a 6 percentage point gain among white, non-college educated men, supposedly Trump's core constituency.

Some might ascribe Biden's gains to the simple fact that he is male and Hillary Clinton is female. Or, to his Scranton birthplace, in America's old industrial heartland. Perhaps, men are more prone to think: "Kick the bum out," regardless of the bum's party.

Despite the massive women's rallies the day after Trump was inaugurated in 2017 and all the pre-election talk about white suburban women being key to Democrats' electoral hopes, the most important gender dynamic in this year's election occurred among white men."

"While median inflation-adjusted incomes for white men have gone up in the last two years, they were essentially the same during President Trump's first year and 1973 " 44 years of stagnant wages.

The latest CDC life expectancy statistics for white men " before COVID " show them dying at an earlier age than in 2014, although Black life expectancy remains lower.

Suicide rates among white men are three and a half times higher than for white women, and are significantly higher than among Blacks, Hispanics, and Asian Americans. By one key markers of social class, educational attainment, there is ample evidence that those with less than a college degree are more likely to be out of the labor force and in poor health."

There's lots more stats at the article link, but what's apparent is that all lives matter, and that policymakers need to make sure that more issues are addressed... and well explained .

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-11-29 05:40 PM | Reply

Joe Biden has voters who still believe in America to thank.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2020-11-30 09:39 AM | Reply

ironical

#3 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-11-30 10:00 AM | Reply

Wow white mens are now good for *something!
Thanks s cho.

#4 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-11-30 10:27 AM | Reply

lol. I voted for him, and am fat, old, and white.
The other option was an Orange, lying, @*&!ing hurricane
of destruction known as Trump.

#5 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-11-30 11:01 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

As a white man please allow me to say that Joe Biden has Americans with IQs above "room temperature" to thank for his victory.

#6 | Posted by anton at 2020-11-30 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

BLM is NOT going to like this. There have already been several articles about how they claim black people are the reason why Biden won.

And it still bothers me that Democrats try so hard to ensure America is split by skin color. It's quite sad how far we've come to try to get rid of racial lines and Dems just continue to support them.

#7 | Posted by humtake at 2020-11-30 11:36 AM | Reply

Hiden has a fascinating destiny. He will share the White House with the first two people of color and the first woman to hold the highest office in our government. If there is any redemption white male America it is in guys like Joe Biden.

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-11-30 11:51 AM | Reply

I'd like to know what percentage of these fine white men don't usually vote.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2020-11-30 11:53 AM | Reply

#7 | Posted by humtake

No it doesn't. You voted for the guy who said we need more immigrants with white skin and fewer immigrants with dark skin.

You're just fine with splitting america by skin color if it helps your cult leader win.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-30 12:15 PM | Reply

& TOR...I have voted in every election since I was able to, now 53. But then again, I'm rare in that
I think voting still matters...

#11 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-11-30 01:30 PM | Reply

"America is ONLY Split by skin color"

Orange being the biggest divider.
I fart at color haters.

#12 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-11-30 01:53 PM | Reply

"Humtake....America is ONLY Split by skin color, because White People insist that skin color matters..."

That whole concept...it doesn't pass the common sense smell test.

If you had conjoined Twins, who would you rather have conducting the surgery to separate them? A white doctors with less experience, or the black doctor who had led previous efforts.

Would you rather the pilot flying your plane be a black guy who had just finished out a career flying jets for the Air Force or Navy, or a White guy who had graduated from community college and run up hours teaching newbs how to fly?

And I only say skin color, because that's the context here. Personally, I would always prefer the most qualified candidate, regardless of skin color, religion, race, sexual orientation, whatever.

#13 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 01:54 PM | Reply

"And it still bothers me that Democrats try so hard to ensure America is split by skin color."

Welcome to 2020, time traveller from 1948.

A lot has changed since Strom Thurmond left the Democrats and founded the Dixiecrats.

As a matter of fact -- and you may want to sit down before reading further -- Strom went on to become a staunch Republican.

In 2008, Democrats ran a Black. He won. Two terms.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 02:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Race baiting is done on both sides. See below for an example of the left insisting that skin color matters......

thousands of young men are shot weekly in this country.

But what deserves its own thread? When a white man is the shooter........the other black victims don't deserve a thread if the shooter was also black.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2020-11-30 02:49 PM | Reply

Race baiting is done on both sides.

#15 | Posted by eberly

I think you should whine some more about how its not fair that you always get accused of both-sides-ism.

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-30 03:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#13 | Posted by madbomber

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-30 03:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sometimes I am a bothsider.....I only take exception to the times when I'm clearly not.

Not that you give a crap. When you're not accusing me of being a cultist, you're accusing me of being a racist.

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2020-11-30 03:59 PM | Reply

thousands of young men are shot weekly in this country.
#15 | POSTED BY EBERLY

You ever notice they're disproportionately black?
So, maybe think about that.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 04:02 PM | Reply

"What's your opinion of a party that does everything possible to prevent people of certain races from voting?"

I feel like my opinion as a white feller might not be nearly as important as all of those non-white guys and gals who voted.

Apparently that party wasn't doing enough. Apparently that party did OK with people of certain races who voted.

#20 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 04:10 PM | Reply

"You're clever enough to figure out that shows the Second Amendment itself has a disparate racial impact."

By allowing black people to shoot other black people?

You're going to blame than on the second amendment?

Feel free to regression analysis the ---- out of that theory and prove me wrong though.

#21 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 04:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"By allowing black people to shoot other black people?"

Would it be an injustice if we stopped allowing black people to shoot other black people, Eberly?
Or would that in fact be more just?
What do you think?

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 04:18 PM | Reply

"You're going to blame than on the second amendment?"

Of course. The Second Amendment quite plainly the cause of America's wanton gun violence.

"Even if the phenomenon were evenly distributed across the races, it would be almost impossible to show correlation."

Sure it would. Wow, you really know nothing about statistics, do you? You would simply need to correlate against a population which does not have a Second Amendment. You can find a comparable population in any other modern country.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 04:20 PM | Reply

"Sure it would. Wow, you really know nothing about statistics, do you? You would simply need to correlate against a population which does not have a Second Amendment."

Mexico?

Honduras?

El Salvador?

And that's just in this hemisphere.

Shall I continue?

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 04:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Honduras?

The land where poor Americans live like kings!

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-11-30 04:30 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

-You ever notice they're disproportionately black?

you're referring to the victim, right? Not the shooter?

You're pretending the difference is the victim, not the shooter.

What gets attention is the race of the shooter, not the victim. We know the victim is mostly likely going to be black, or at least disproportionately and the shooter is also disproportionately black.

But that never gets attention.

#26 | Posted by eberly at 2020-11-30 04:30 PM | Reply

Mexico?
Honduras?
El Salvador?

Not so much:
You can find a comparable population in any other modern country
#23 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 04:33 PM | Reply

"You're pretending the difference is the victim, not the shooter."

No, I'm really not doing that at all.
But since you brought it up, most black victims are victimized by blacks, and most white victims are victimized by whites.
Much in the way that most murder victims are killed by someone they know. That's how communities work.

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 04:35 PM | Reply

Shall I continue?
#24 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Yes, you should.
Maybe you can do better next time!

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 04:36 PM | Reply

"What gets attention is the race of the shooter, not the victim."

Or sometimes, the occupation of the shooter, e.g. Police Officer.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 04:38 PM | Reply

"You can find a comparable population in any other modern country"

"Modern" country?

I feel like by "modern," you mean "European."

And the other outcome you might find is that the US is not a "modern" country based on your criteria. Of course I don't know what your criteria is. When I google "modern country," the US doesn't pop up.

Maybe by "modern" country you simply mean one without a second amendment?

#31 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 04:53 PM | Reply

You don't know what a "modern country" is?

Here's a hint.

It's not one of the ones where poor Americans can go live like kings in.

#32 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-11-30 04:55 PM | Reply

"You don't object to holding police to a higher standard of accountability and public scrutiny, do you?"

Black Lives Matter seems to.

Maybe it should be BLSM. Black Lives Selectively Matter.

#33 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 04:55 PM | Reply

"When I google "modern country," the US doesn't pop up."

Sure it does. Almost all those links go to American music.

I am beginning to truly believe you're every bit as stupid as you act here.
Am I correct in that belief?

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 05:16 PM | Reply

I feel like by "modern," you mean "European."

I am beginning to truly believe you're every bit as stupid as you act here.
Am I correct in that belief?

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 05:18 PM | Reply

"I don't recall having seen a lot of BLM support for black (or any other) officer who end up shooting a black person in the line of duty."

I am beginning to truly believe you're every bit as stupid as you act here.
Am I correct in that belief?

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 05:18 PM | Reply

"Am I correct in that belief?"

Stupid?

To me, stupid implies a lack of knowledge. Yet how can I be expected to be knowledgeable about things that you made up on the fly. Like "modern" countries?

That's why I googled it. Because I think you're making things up as you go along in an effort to support your narrative.

And 100%, I think I will always be stupid to you. I think that anyone who doesn't agree with you will always be stupid to you.

You're like a little kid who calls people stupid when the kid disagrees or don't like what they have to say. I used to correct my kids for that. You're older than I am, so I think the time for correction is long past.

#37 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 05:22 PM | Reply

"Like "modern" countries?"

You googled "modern country," stupid. Which is a music genre.

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 05:39 PM | Reply

"I think that anyone who doesn't agree with you will always be stupid to you."

Well that's just stupid.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 05:40 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by eberly

I haven't called you a racist. I called you a both sides moron. Which you are.

#40 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-30 06:30 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by madbomber

Your opinion doesn't matter but your vote does.

Do you vote for the party that tries every trick it can find to prevent minorities from voting?

If so, then you vote to prevent minorities from voting.

#41 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-11-30 06:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

white-women-vote-republican-get-used-it-democrats

#42 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-11-30 07:03 PM | Reply

"Had you actually googled "modern counties" you would have seen a list of two dozen or so modern countries, including the US, and excluding Honduras, El Salvador, and Mexico."

For you.

"www.bing.com"

#43 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-12-01 02:11 AM | Reply

"Being a both sides moron isn't racist, but it does help get racists elected so they can enact their racist agenda."

Are the people of color who voted for Trump...are they racists?

Are they supporters of a "racist" agenda?

"Racist" and "fascist" are two terms that have lost any real meaning. They're just terms that the left throws around to virtue signal and mark those things that are undesirable and conflict with their progressive agenda.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, or many on the left, libertarians (even those of color) are considered fascists or racists for their lack of "wokeness." For their resistance to an increasing demanding and authoritarian progressive agenda.

#44 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-12-01 02:16 AM | Reply

"Are the people of color who voted for Trump...are they racists?"

Not all Trump voters are racist, but all Trump voters decided racism wasn't a dealbreaker.

"Are they supporters of a "racist" agenda?"

#45 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-12-01 10:43 AM | Reply

Does what you are saying make sense to you?

#46 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-12-01 11:55 AM | Reply

Of course.
Does it not make sense to you?

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-12-01 12:03 PM | Reply

Updated news:
At Least 42 Shot, 11 Killed In Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend Violence In Chicago.

#48 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-12-01 12:10 PM | Reply

"Does it not make sense to you?"

Not really.

I suppose the old "Jews for Hitler" thing maybe have been a reality...who knows.

I think it's unlikely though. I think it's more likely that progressives find themselves in a bind when trying to label ideological adversaries, and somehow painting people as being racist against themselves somehow comes off as the most logical way of conducting this labelling. Objectively though, it doesn't make much sense.

The only way it would make sense would be if the other candidate was so awful, that people of color viewed a racist candidate as the better option of the two.

I don't think Biden was that bad of a candidate. Do you?

#49 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-12-01 12:11 PM | Reply

Are the people of color who voted for Trump...are they racists?

Are they supporters of a "racist" agenda?

"Racist" and "fascist" are two terms that have lost any real meaning.
#44 | Posted by madbomber

Maybe

And yes. If you vote for a white supremacist cult leader who thinks america should be whiter, you are voting for a racist agenda, no matter what race you are.

Racist and fascist have "lost any real meaning" to you because they have become normal in the republican cult. It's like trying to describe water to a fish.

#50 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-12-01 12:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Updated news:

#48 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

What's your point? That trump failed to make america great again?

#51 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-12-01 12:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend Violence In Chicago.

#48 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

Hey thanks for bringing that up.

That was the last thanksgiving in Trumplandia. Praise Jebus and Thank the Gawds!!!

But this Thanksgiving I am thankful that we now finally have a President who will govern with concern and empathy and instead of hate and vitriol.

It's a whole new world now and there is at least hope for cities like Chicago that have been allowed to suffer and decay in the worst pandemic in 100 years. I can imagine that a Biden administration will could usher in more federal economic relief, an actually centralized pandemic response and new agendas for criminal justice reform and maybe even education funding! Imagine that!!

Think of what we will be able to accomplish once we get Mr Toad out of the road!!

#52 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-12-01 12:47 PM | Reply

Gang shootings cuz Trump. LOL!

#53 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-12-01 12:50 PM | Reply

Re 53.

Ok. I'll bite.

What has Trumpy done to help?

I mean besides sending nasty letters and tweets?

#54 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-12-01 12:58 PM | Reply

You can almost hear them google wheels spinning furiously but I don't have to look to know.

Trump probably did nothing.

Besides run his nasty mouth and send nasty letters and tweet nasty tweets.

#55 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-12-01 01:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He wanted to send troops in to clean that -------- up but the criminal lovers said NO.
So don't say He "probably" did nothing.

#56 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-12-01 01:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Re: #56

Moronic idea supported by morons

#57 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-12-01 02:06 PM | Reply

"Instead of threatening to send in troops Biden will send aid. At minimum he will work with the state and city to help it rather than harm it."

What kind of aid do you send to dueling gangbangers?

I know that if I were a criminal, I would be hoping that cities would start defunding the police. It couldn't happen quickly enough.

#58 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-12-01 02:07 PM | Reply

"What kind of aid do you send to dueling gangbangers? "

I know this is difficult stuff for those used to listening to a corrupt conman who only knew how to send hate and vitriol but you send the aid to the state and the city that needs it. Not to the criminals.

#59 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-12-01 03:14 PM | Reply

#58 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

I have an idea. Pretend you were an American who deeply cares about his fellow Americans in one of the darkest times in our history (and herstory) and in their hour of need.

Now what would you hope?

Don't worry. You will get used to this whole building back better by governing with "empathy" thing. I know it's been a while for you guys since you have exercised that part of your brains. It takes only a little practice. You will get used to it.

#60 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-12-01 03:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Gang shootings cuz Trump. LOL!

#53 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

Just as valid as your "gang shootings cuz dems" nonsense.

#61 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-12-01 03:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What's the difference between a "criminal" and a person who has committed a crime or two? Framing the situation as "criminals vs. the law" dumbs things down and does not help lead to improvements.

#62 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-12-02 10:42 AM | Reply