Monday, November 30, 2020

Researchers found that expiring state eviction bans led to hundreds of thousands of additional coronavirus cases, and over 10,000 deaths, raising alarm about what will happen when the national eviction moratorium lapses next month.

Comments

Thanks, Capitalism!

And thanks, private property.

Interesting. I've never had the chance to thank private property before.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-11-30 01:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What good does it do the land lords to evict?

I'm sure there isn't a large pool of prospective tenants and if the house/apartment sits empty they're still paying for it out of pocket as if they were with the tenant occupying the space.

And if the tenant is a good one, they're taking the risk of getting a bad one when this is all over.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2020-11-30 10:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yup.

As a landlord, I can offset any losses/expenses on property on my taxes. My tenants are good, and I made the decision early on that even if they didn't pay a cent I wasn't going to evict them. They were always able to pay, but I gave December back to them. They had some trouble with my property management company over the summer that I felt was unacceptable. AC is one of those things civilized people in Louisiana expect to have.

And it's the same thing with lenders. Why go through the trouble of evicting someone, losing any sort of a payment, and having to go through the trouble of foreclosure. Even if you had to defer payments for several years, it just means more money for you in the long run.

Snoofy, I feel like you may have been born too late. The Soviet Union may have been a better fit for you. Although they were much poorer, with more people packed into a smaller space...they weren't burdened with demons such as capitalism and private property.

#3 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-11-30 04:23 PM | Reply

Public Citizen
@Public_Citizen

Percent of wages currently subsidized by governments due to COVID:

Japan: 100% for small businesses; 80% for large firms

Netherlands: Up to 90%

Norway: Up to 90%

Germany: Up to 87%

France: Up to 84%

Italy: 80%

United Kingdom: Up to 80%

Canada: Up to 75%

United States: 0%

The problem isn't a lack of money.

It's the lack of desire to help fellow Americans.

It's the fallacy that my personal freedom matters more than the safety of our nation.

That caring about each other is socialism and will destroy America.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-11-30 06:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

That caring about each other is socialism and will destroy America.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack

I just had to go to Home Depot to grab an item to fix something in the house. There must have been a dozen idiots walking around without masks even though there's a sign on the door that says "Masks Are Required." When I asked a cashier why no one is enforcing it, they replied that they're no longer allowed to after a HD employee was shot while attempting to enforce the mask requirement.

As I was checking out I saw a couple likely Trump voters in the next checkout without masks. I said, "where's your mask? Didn't you see the sign on the door? Hear about the pandemic killing hundreds of thousands of people?"

When they gave me a stupid look and a 'what?' I said, "I guess you don't care about yourself or anyone else" and left it there. I'm done putting up with stupid people. In fact, when I got home I thought, "I'm going to start videoing and taking pictures of idiots without masks" and post them online. Another thought was having stickers made that read, "I'm stupid and don't care about anyone" and slapping them on the backs of non-mask wearers.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-30 07:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

LOL. That's brilliant!

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-11-30 07:37 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by REDIAL

I just ordered 200 4x4" with a pic of COVID-19 virus with the following text below it:

NO MASKS! I'M STUPID &
DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYONE

Easy enough to walk by someone and gently tap it on the back of their jacket with them being clueless I did it.

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-11-30 08:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mitch McConnall is directly responsible for those unnecessary deaths. He and Donald Trump are murderers. They care nothing about average working class Americans. They will, I hope, burn in hell forever.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2020-12-01 09:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Those refusing to wear masks should be tatooed with Trump's name and healthcare workers should refuse to treat them when they get COVID. Why should those workers put their lives at risk treating a******s who won't wear masks?

#9 | Posted by danni at 2020-12-01 09:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Re: #5 AmericanUnity

Careful, dude, one of those knobheads will shoot you

#10 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-12-01 10:32 AM | Reply

Careful, dude, one of those knobheads will shoot you

#10 | Posted by hamburglar

It's easy enough to get it on the back of their jacket without them knowing :-)

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-12-01 01:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1