Tuesday, December 01, 2020

'I couldn't save either one of them.' Oklahoma City ICU nurse Lizanne Jennings comforted her husband, Dennis, in the moments before he succumbed to Covid-19. "Are you ready to be at peace?" she recalled asking him on November 23. Dennis took his last breath 30 minutes later, Jennings told CNN's Kate Bolduan on Tuesday. Her mother, Linda, who had also been infected with Covid-19, had died just three days earlier.

Comments

"Are you ready to be at peace?" she recalled asking him on November 23.

'He said, 'Uh-huh.' And I said, 'OK. Mom's fine. She's back at the house. She's going to stay with me.' Because I knew he would keep fighting if I told him my mom had already died. And so they started giving him morphine and Ativan. I turned him over and I rubbed his back. I said, 'I love you.' He said, 'I love you.' And I said, "You're going to go now, OK? You can finally be at peace.'"

Her son Brayden, an attorney, lamented that he couldn't be there to support his mother when he also became infected.

#1 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-12-01 06:00 PM | Reply

Horrible,this virus really sucks. I hope she's ok.

#2 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-12-01 11:23 PM | Reply

"I said, 'One of us could die and I need you to hear that and I need you to wear your mask and I need you to hand sanitize. And so he did... Mom stayed home for eight and a half months. And so you have people that are doing everything right and we didn't get to hug my mom and we didn't go anywhere... And we still lost them.

They were probably on the verge of death anyway.

-madbomber

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-12-02 08:38 AM | Reply

Collateral damage for freedumb

#4 | Posted by hamburglar at 2020-12-02 09:16 AM | Reply

'People are like, 'Oh man, Dennis is so strong. He's going to make it.' It happens no matter what. The virus keeps winning."'

This is what my Doctor basically told me during my physical when I asked about COVID-19. He said "If you get it, youu'll sail through it, you're in great shape!"
I just looked at him like he was nuts.

Statistically yes, even on a sliding scale the probability of anyone dying is less than being asymptomatic, but damn. When it hits hard it's devastating.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2020-12-02 09:24 AM | Reply

I talked to a doctor yesterday who recently recovered from a moderate bout with Covid. It was horrible, she told me. Her father, in his mid-80s, had just been released from the hospital after a severe case that almost took his life. She was near tears as she spoke of his being on a ventilator and everyone preparing to say goodbye, then slowly he began to improve. It's not clear yet what sort of lasting effects he'll be dealing with.

#6 | Posted by cbob at 2020-12-02 12:01 PM | Reply