Wednesday, December 02, 2020

The coronavirus was in the U.S. as early as mid-December 2019, a period earlier than officially identified in either China or the U.S., according to new research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Comments

Honestly that fits. It takes a while to achieve the kind of community spread that was going on - especially in NY and Michigan. Late December and January are going to be truly tragic.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-12-02 03:46 PM | Reply

I spent the winter living right next to the most popular casino in Las Vegas's Chinatown. I went there all the time, it was my first couple months back in the city and I was enjoying myself. No mask of course and I remember being very very sick with the dry cough, extreme chills and fever. This was mid to late December. I worked through it but I was wrapped up in blankets even though it was temperate inside, and the cough would never seem to accomplish anything.

I am thinking more and more that I did get it.

#2 | Posted by bocaink at 2020-12-02 04:24 PM | Reply

Oh so trumps failure started sooner.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2020-12-02 04:55 PM | Reply

Posted by retort at 01:53 PM | 3 COMMENTS | permalink | Comment on This Entry |

I guess the "officially" caveat keeps that statement true. However, I remember reading early on that they had identified the earliest case in mid-November, which led me to state it was likely SARS-CoV-2 was here in the U.S. by mid-December. Seems to line up well.

This LiveScience article from March may have been what I remember reading.

This just points out why testing and tracing are so important. Closing the borders would not have stopped the virus, as it was likely already here. Truly closing the borders may have slowed the spread significantly, but that would have meant actually quarantining everyone entering from anywhere, even returning U.S. citizens, which we failed to do. To be fair, we likely never would have had the political nor physical capability to actually do that level of quarantining.

#4 | Posted by StatsPlease at 2020-12-02 05:32 PM | Reply

I know a handful of people who got ill and went to the Dr with flu-like symptoms as early as late October. They were tested for flu strains and were negative. Makes sense that it was already here when the US started getting a clue.

#5 | Posted by darkmatter at 2020-12-02 06:43 PM | Reply

Wellllllll now that we know this I think we need to defund the CDC, Medicare, the ACA in order to build another nuke and protect what remains of the population.

#6 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-12-03 05:40 AM | Reply