Friday, January 08, 2021

But for Josh Hawley, the Missouri senator who staged an Electoral College challenge that became the focus of a violent siege of the Capitol, the words of his political mentor were the most personal. "Supporting Josh Hawley ... was the worst decision I've ever made in my life," former Missouri Sen. John Danforth told The Associated Press on Thursday. "He has consciously appealed to the worst. He has attempted to drive us apart and he has undermined public belief in our democracy. And that's great damage."

Comments

Impressive how brave the GOPhers are once they leave office.

#1 | Posted by censored at 2021-01-08 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Censure the Bum.

#2 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2021-01-08 11:49 AM | Reply

One of his biggest donors has called for Hawley to be censured and called him an anti-democratic "political opportunist willing to subvert the Constitution."
missouriindependent.com

#3 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-01-08 12:46 PM | Reply

Arrest him for seditious.

I know. It won't be as easy as arresting someone for shoplifting a snickers bar.

But I'd say it's more important.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 12:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Censure the Bum."

This is the most sensible (and probably the most practical) comment I've seen so far about how to deal with these Tr*mper idiots in Congress.

#5 | Posted by PussyFort at 2021-01-08 12:56 PM | Reply

Censure?

So. Do nothing.

That's probably what will happen.

Can't wait for the Republicans to regroup and succeed in their next attempt to over throw the government.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 01:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

have any members of congress been censured in recent years?

I assume that involves a hearing and a vote from the members of their chamber.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 01:02 PM | Reply

Democrats don't have the collective will to do anything more. Plus it might hurt their chances in 2022. You really need to learn to see things in context.

#8 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-08 01:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I had to make sure I was correct.

Less severe than expulsion, a censure (sometimes referred to as condemnation or denouncement) does not remove a senator from office. It is a formal statement of disapproval, however, that can have a powerful psychological effect on a member and his/her relationships in the Senate.

"Powerful psychological effect on a member and his/her relationships in the Senate."

Oh no! Not that!!

How would they carry on!

Oh yea. That's right. Trumpers don't care. The censure would be as meaningless to them as Trump's impeachment.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 01:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

I don't think he can be censured for making a lawful objection during legal legislative proceeding. The objection may have been specious, but it is not in any way against the rules. Hawley's punishment is that he is now revealed for the sniveling rightwing opportunistic weasel that he is, and even his colleagues and allies will not now touch him with a ten foot pole. Hopefully no GOPhers will challenge him for the Senate seat when he is up for reelection, and a Dem can take it from him.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-01-08 01:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

If only I could give this more newsworthy flags.

You're right, of course.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 01:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nancy is meeting with House Dems now to put forward Impeachment. They will, and they will vote to Impeach the next few days.

It won't go to the Sen for trial, because time limits and people like Madame G have already said it's dead there. Still.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-08 01:19 PM | Reply

I assume that involves a hearing and a vote from the members of their chamber.

This sounds like a lot of work.

Maybe we could just make a meme and in a couple days people will have forgotten all about yesterday's riots.

Besides. It looked like a bunch of larpers got lost.

Was it really a big deal?

Liberals overreacting as usual.

Besides. It was all Antifa's fault.

#13 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 01:20 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY CORKY

One would think ------- sending his army to kill you would change their minds. Republicans are scum

#14 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-08 01:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Could you imagine if this country was at war and relied upon judgment from this senate to make bold decisions?
From these weak-kneed don't rock the boat pansies?
If ever there presented a time to be bold and decisive, these weasels disappeared.
I've seen more balls and moxie from 12 year old kids on the playground.

#15 | Posted by Docman at 2021-01-08 01:53 PM | Reply

"Democrats don't have the collective will to do anything more. Plus it might hurt their chances in 2022. You really need to learn to see things in context".

how does that make you all feel?

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 01:53 PM | Reply

Exactly, how is Trump still president at this very moment? Any other human being would be escorted out the building and not even be allowed to grab their stuff. I've seen it happen before.

#17 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-01-08 01:56 PM | Reply

how does that make you all feel?

The problem is. Democrats are too scared of doing anything, because it may cost them votes.

Meanwhile. If Democrats don't do anything before 2022. It's going to cost them seats.

I wish Democratic would govern a little more fearlessly. Like Republicans do.

#18 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 01:56 PM | Reply

how does that make you all feel?

#16 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2021-01-08 01:53 PM

It makes me feel annoyed that it empowers flippant fence-sitters to think there is some equivocation between parties.

One party just attempted a coup d'etat

#19 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-01-08 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I think there is a real risk of republican turnout in 2022 exceeding democratic turnout....and that it will cost dems seat.

But it's sad that these guys won't do what they know should be done for fear it will harm their political career.

Maybe I'm wrong and they show some spine.

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 02:16 PM | Reply

"It makes me feel annoyed..."

good

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 02:17 PM | Reply

"how does that make you all feel?"

Reread with the intended sarcasm and you'll be able to answer the question yourself.

#22 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-08 02:19 PM | Reply

how does that make you all feel?

#16 | Posted by eberly

Still far ethically and morally superior to anyone who supports trump or the GOP, and still far smarter than anyone who thinks the parties are equally bad.

#23 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-08 02:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Maybe I'm wrong and they show some spine.

#20 | Posted by eberly

Yes, trump defender. Please lecture us about how DEMOCRATS need to show some spine.

#24 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-08 02:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm not lecturing anybody, whore.

"ethically and morally superior"

nice touch, whore. Obviously you're lying though....but that's okay.

After being slapped around a double-wide your entire life, I really doubt you've ever spent 5 minutes feeling "morally and ethically superior" to anybody.

#25 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 02:24 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by eberly

Haha if you saw my life right now you'd be sick with envy.

It's easier to be successful when you've got a decent brain, instead of the malfunctioning organ god gave you which can't even comprehend why republicans and democrats aren't equally bad.

#26 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-08 02:27 PM | Reply

Maybe I'm wrong and they show some spine.

I'm not holding my breath.

Trumper terrorists stormed the capitol building and Democrats are worried if they arrest Republican politicians their voters may become upset.

#27 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 02:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-Haha if you saw my life right now you'd be sick with envy.

I'm looking at it right now.....

And only slap you around here because you do nothing except follow me from thread to thread and lie while begging for my attention.

You can stop anytime. Or you can have honest debate, which I'm trying to have with others.

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 02:33 PM | Reply

I won't fault a democrat for being realistic and pragmatic and it's likely that's why they will be more reserved than we'd hope at this moment in time.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 02:34 PM | Reply

Goddam this place cracks me up......someone is flagging the whore's posts....LOL

I won't even bother to look up who it is....doesn't matter....but it's someone that doesn't give 2 ----- what she posted. It's someone massively butthurt over what I've done to them.

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 02:36 PM | Reply

Unless Biden and congressional Democrats give voters a reason to come vote for them.

Meaning. Show that Democrats can actually make life better for everyday Americans. Instead of just promising to.

I see Democratic turn out falling in two years as well.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 02:41 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by moder8

PA's Voting Reform Act77 allowing mail in voting was enacted by PA's REPUBLICAN controlled legislature!

ballotpedia.org

#32 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-01-08 02:44 PM | Reply

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I've always though democrat turnout is lower during mid-terms.

#33 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 03:00 PM | Reply

It was high in 2018.

But that was mostly a reaction to Trump.

That's something else Democrats don't have. The Trump boogeyman.

Their only option is to actually do something.

Heaven forbid!

The biggest fence sitters are do nothing Democrats who don't wanna do anything but play good cop and funnel wealth to the 1%.

Obama did a great job of that.

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-08 03:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm looking at it right now.....

#28 | Posted by eberly

Slap me around? Then why do you keep running away from threads where you're getting destroyed tough guy?

Let's all get ready for an HONEST DEBATE with a partisan who's mission in life is to sell the lie that dems are just as bad as repubs.

#35 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-08 03:10 PM | Reply

Whore, you followed me here.

Our exchanges all start the same way....you follow me, attack me with false accusation and then I respond with insults because there is no substance.

Post on topic by asking me a question without hostility or accusations and I'll respond appropriately.

Anything else and I'll keep slapping you around or plonk your fat ass.

#36 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 03:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"that dems are just as bad as repubs."

you repeat that so many times, I'm convinced YOU think that's true.

I sure as hell don't.

Why are you such a filthy ----?

#37 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 03:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Why are you such a filthy ----?

#37 | Posted by eberly

I tried asking that on cross examination this morning but the judge sustained the objection.

#38 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-01-08 03:30 PM | Reply | Funny: 5

LOL I would love to see that....

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-08 03:32 PM | Reply

Freaking hilarious!

#40 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-01-08 03:41 PM | Reply

Anything else and I'll keep slapping you around or plonk your fat ass.

#36 | Posted by eberly

You're right, our exchanges are all the same, but I noticed you skip over the beginning of the encounter where you try to protect your pathetic party by shilling the lie that dems are just as bad, or dems made them to it.

Then when your false equivalencies get destroyed you start name calling and whining about people being too emotional.

Then you run way.

Rinse. Repeat

#41 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-08 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is not going to go like he thought it was going to go.

#42 | Posted by Jasper at 2021-01-08 07:17 PM | Reply

Inteligence and education are valuable assets but they don't cancel insanity, racism, sexism, etc. The world has seen its share of evil geniuses. This guy has given us fair warning of what he is about, if we tolerate it then the blame is on us.

#43 | Posted by danni at 2021-01-09 11:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Don't anyone worry about Josh Hawley.

In a week from now this will all be forgotten.

#44 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-09 01:56 PM | Reply

www.hawley.senate.gov Minority party leadership can hit him (and his constituents) where it hurts and pull his committee assignments.

#45 | Posted by mattm at 2021-01-09 05:21 PM | Reply

MATTM

"Minority party leadership can hit him (and his constituents) where it hurts and pull his committee assignments."

You'd better double check that. I don't think the "minority party" leadership hands out committee assignments.

#46 | Posted by Twinpac at 2021-01-09 06:18 PM | Reply

Top Missouri GOP donor Sam Fox disavows Sen. Josh Hawley

(AP) " Top Missouri GOP donor Sam Fox is disavowing Sen. Josh Hawley over his Electoral College challenge that became the focus of a violent siege of the U.S. Capitol.

Fox said in a statement Friday to The Kansas City Star that Hawley had "engaged in an act of reckless pandering," and could forgot about any future help.

www.kmov.com

It's not nice to fool Mother Moneybags.

#47 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-10 01:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Re 47

But it is nice for Americans. They seem to love being fooled.

It's definitely a Dark Winter in Trumplandia.

Time to end it.

#48 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-01-10 09:26 AM | Reply

The entire Right is full of members
that feel this way, that support
rebellion....and MARK my words,
violence by Rightwing Militias
might just be starting...

These people have drunk far too
much Propaganda Kool-aid, and are
too far on down the Rightwing
Rabbit hole, to ever make it back.

The Govt. & Military BETTER get
ready for the next one.

#49 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-01-10 10:01 AM | Reply

Re 49

It ain't over until it's over and it obviously ain't over.

Gun sales are going thru the roof.

#50 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-01-10 12:26 PM | Reply

Twin, committee assignments are made by the party. As of this week Hawley is in the minority.

#51 | Posted by mattm at 2021-01-10 08:14 PM | Reply