Tuesday, January 12, 2021

William Webster: I'm a lifelong Republican, but I am an American first ... This leads me to an action I never imagined - to state my support for those who speak of censure, impeachment or removal of the man whose primary job as president of the United States is to protect all Americans, not incite the violence that led to insurrection on our Capitol and death of five in the unprecedented assault on our democracy.

Comments

Never in my 96 years did I imagine a sitting president of the United States, abetted by numerous members of Congress, using tools of deception and innuendo to challenge the will of the American people in choosing their leadership. For weeks these elected officials have propagated baseless lies and totally unproven conspiracy theories, cynically raising millions of dollars while doing so.

These people entrusted with public power have refused to heed the findings of our revered U.S. Supreme Court and of dozens of lower courts and state election-certification officials. I am especially enraged that one of those who would continue to support the president's deceptions, Sen. Josh Hawley, hails from my revered home state. He, the Trump children, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, lawyer Rudy Giuliani, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and others should be ashamed.

The weeks-long display of despicable, narcissistic behavior by our president was reprehensible enough following the election. But President Donald Trump and others incited violence and attacked those things all Americans should hold dear. Their actions threatened the very survival of our democracy. My reaction is a disbelief I cannot adequately put into words. Instead, I submit to you the wisdom of one of my personal heroes, Abraham Lincoln.

First, read his admonition. Then I ask Americans to heed his advice. Following what was a shameful second day of infamy in American history, it is my hope that all Americans will seriously take to heart Lincoln's great wisdom. Our country's future and yours depend upon it.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-12 12:21 PM | Reply

Abraham Lincoln warned us that "America will never be destroyed from the outside if we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." He also reminded us that the people are the rightful masters of our government, "not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution."

GOP: Lincoln is a RINO!

#2 | Posted by censored at 2021-01-12 02:54 PM | Reply

Deep state!

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2021-01-12 03:24 PM | Reply

"a sitting president of the United States, abetted by numerous members of Congress, using tools of deception and innuendo"

I have yet to have any rwinger, here or elsewhere, tell me why they longed for only one thing, really, for many years; a conservative Supreme Court with a Chief Justice appointed by a Pres like Donald Trump.

And yet, when that same Trump SC, not to mention 60+ Fed Judges, many of them Trump appointees, and Trump's own AG and DHS, examined ALL the evidence Trump's lawyers gathered about any possible election rigging, including mail-in ballots, voting machine software, dumps of large numbers of votes, and more....

... after the SC unanimously found that there was NO MERIT to any of that "evidence" (Thomas and Alito would have allowed arguments, but agreed on no merit)...

... Trump supporters decided to believe Trump is telling the truth, and the SC et al are either lying or stupid.

Why is that? Is it because they are self-made victims of a personality/political cult? Because they don't care about truth or facts as long as they get their way?

It seems like they have been conditioned by the Fake News mantras to become enthralled with Nietzsche's Perspectivism, something they long accused the left of; that there are no objective facts.

Which is very convenient when one is only out to have their particular bias's confirmed, no matter the cost.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-12 04:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | Posted by Corky

Republicans had total control of all three branches twice since 2001.

They couldn't care less about issues they roll out every election in their cynical ploy to win votes.

For instance, Roe vs Wade wasn't overturned by a conservative SC, nor did Congress enact legislation making abortion illegal.

Republican politicians are exactly like magicians who use what's in one hand - abortion & guns - to distract what they're actually doing: handing our nation's treasure over to individuals and corporation who didn't need tax cuts, and deregulating everything in sight in the name of profits at the expense of American citizen's well being.

When Biden is inaugurated, Republicans will be screaming about deficits again. That THEY created.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-01-12 04:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1