Tuesday, January 12, 2021

The violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol Building last week, incited by President Donald Trump, serves as the grimmest moment in one of the darkest chapters in the nation's history. Yet the rioters' actions"and Trump's own role in, and response to, them"come as little surprise to many, particularly those who have been studying the president's mental fitness and the psychology of his most ardent followers since he took office.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

As for mini-Trumps, it is important, above all, to set firm boundaries, to limit contact or even to leave the relationship, if possible. Because I specialize in treating violent individuals, I always believe there is something that can be done to treat them, but they seldom present for treatment unless forced.

so, i found a scientific answer to my question on what I should do

Comments

It's not just his supporters that need to be weaned off their addiction of him. History will note how he induced/magnified psychoses throughout the country, influencing people to do irrational things that undermined their own self-interests.

#1 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-12 04:12 PM | Reply

By the way, a good movie about shared psychosis is Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. The first movie takes on a whole new meaning if you take into account the implications of the sequel.

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-12 04:14 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I remember this article from last fall:

US: Religious data platform 'targets mentally ill, vulnerable people'

A new film reveals how Cambridge Analytica, collaborating with a software company, has created a platform for US churches that targets the poor, the addicted and the disabled--to radicalize them for far-right politics.

www.dw.com

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-12 04:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

PEOPLE YOU MAY KNOW' REVEALS A WAR ON DEMOCRACY BEING WAGED WITH BIG DATA

As a journalist taking assignments in war-torn areas, London-based American expat Charles Kriel developed an interest in big data and its use in disinformation campaigns. This eventually led to his appointment as special advisor on fake news to the House of Commons' DCMS (Digital, Culture, Media, Sport) select committee as it investigated the roles Cambridge Analytica, Facebook, and Russia played in influencing the Brexit referendum.

Disappointed with Britain's lack of political will to pursue needed regulation of tech companies, Kriel and film director Katharina Gellein Viken, determined to bring what they'd learned about big data manipulation, microtargeting, and tech companies' undermining of civil society to the broader public.

The result is the new documentary People You May Know, starring Kriel and directed by Viken, which spotlights the role played by churches, many of which use big data for microtargeted outreach, in the information manipulation ecosystem that continues to erode democracy in the US, the UK, and elsewhere. Distributed in the United States by Sundance and available on Prime Video, this --------- documentary couldn't be more timely for an election cycle marred by turbulence, uncertainty about such fundamental matters as peaceful transfer of power, and a right-wing Christian power grab.

CK: What's important to understand is that the Koch brothers commissioned a religious charity, Cofi, and a religious software company, Gloo, to work with Cambridge Analytica to create a platform where churches could specifically target people who are suffering from mental illness or grief in order to recruit them into the churches, and then to weaponize them for the politics of the far Right.

religiondispatches.org

#4 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-12 04:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"For healing, I usually recommend three steps:
(1) Removal of the offending agent (the influential person with severe symptoms).
(2) Dismantling systems of thought control"common in advertising but now also heavily adopted by politics.
And (3) fixing the socioeconomic conditions that give rise to poor collective mental health in the first place."

Well, there you go. We are well on our way to #1, #2 is no gimme, though. And #3 is most difficult of all... although it should be easier sans the first two.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-12 04:23 PM | Reply

"The first movie takes on a whole new meaning if you take into account the implications of the sequel."

Would it make the first movie not suck?

#6 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-12 04:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

People storming the Capitol to zip-tie Pelosi... and this guy's talking about Blair Witch.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-01-12 04:32 PM | Reply

"Would it make the first movie not suck?"

That's entirely subjective.

I have fond memories of the first movie, because I saw it in the movie theatre while on a date with a young woman who traveled half-way across the country to see me.

I don't think the first movie was badly done at all, but I get that not everyone appreciates slow-burn psychological horror that doesn't have gore and special effects.

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-12 04:32 PM | Reply

#7, the topic is shared psychosis. Something that you personally should know goes way beyond what happened at the Capitol.

#9 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-12 04:35 PM | Reply

Pardon me, are you saying the people who stormed the Capitol are psychotic?

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-01-12 04:52 PM | Reply

#2&6

I worked with Daniel Myrick back in 2008 on his movie, The Objective.

Most his films are the same. Implied supernatural phenomenon and psychological fear.

He lost the genre to the "Paranormal Activities" series. Which did a better job of creating the tense atmosphere Daniel Myrick tried to create in his movies.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-12 05:03 PM | Reply

" I get that not everyone appreciates slow-burn psychological horror that doesn't have gore and special effects.".

#12 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-12 05:21 PM | Reply

Pardon me, are you saying the people who stormed the Capitol are psychotic?

#10 | Posted by snoofy

Something is mentally wrong with people who believe absolute bulls***.

Does becoming a blubbering baby or freaking out when insurrectionists discover they're now on the No-Fly list count for taking part in the insurrection count?

Compilation of insurrectionists freaking out when they discover they're now on the No-Fly list: www.youtube.com
One dude comments about cops standing around. Dude, no one was put on the No-Fly list because they supported Trump. They were put on the No-Fly list or arrested at airports after taking part in an insurrection.

#13 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-01-12 06:07 PM | Reply

"That wasn't my problem with the movie but I'm not so invested in my opinion that I want to debate in defense of it. I am open to a new perspective though so if I'm looking for something to watch and come across the sequel I will take your positive opinion into consideration."

You almost come across as a human being in this comment.

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 10:02 AM | Reply

"You almost come across as a human being in this comment."

The code for AI improves every day. Sometimes every minute.

#15 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-14 10:35 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

"You almost come across as a human being in this comment."

pretty insulting, IMO.

Just pointing that out in case you expected it to be taken otherwise.

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2021-01-14 10:38 AM | Reply

"pretty insulting, IMO."

I take those things from where they come. I have to have a modicum of respect for a person for their insults to be meaningful to me. Besides, I did say something to him yesterday that was below my usual standard for decency so treated this as a back-handed compliment. No ill will.

#17 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-14 11:07 AM | Reply

"I did say something to him yesterday that was below my usual standard for decency"

It's good to know that you don't usually condone threats of sexual violence. I don't know why you made an exception in my case, and it's gone beyond the point where I care. You need to go.

#18 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 02:07 PM | Reply

You need to go.
#18 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

HC isn't going anywhere (unless he chooses to do so).

He's a poster most of us enjoy reading and communicating with.

Your personal issues with him are yours and only yours. You have a few choices.

Suck it up and carry on posting.

Plonk HC, so you won't have to read his comments.

Leave the DR, again.

If you don't quit, you'll have to accept the fact people will mock you for defending the swastika and probably bring up Bruce's comment to you. Again and again and again.

Not sure what you expected when you decided to come back.

Personally. I think the fact you caused Bruce to quit the DR is reprehensible.

#19 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 02:20 PM | Reply

"you'll have to accept the fact people will mock you for defending the swastika"

If people want to "mock" me for sharing a view that hundreds of millions of people have, that's fine.
www.amazon.com

Slandering me by misrepresenting my view that I've clearly stated, and by extension a huge religious and cultural minority that exists on this world today, is hate speech.

"and probably bring up Bruce's comment to you. Again and again and again."

That's your choice. And if the proprietor of this site wants to tolerate that, that's their choice too.

#20 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 02:51 PM | Reply

Hundreds of millions of people may view the swastika favorably, especially Hindus.

But far more people associate the swastika with the Nazis and the horrors committed by them under the flag.

Also. The two are drawn differently.

Anyway. Hindus and others who use the symbol with positive connotations will keep doing so for hundreds of generations. Eventually the negative stigma of the Nazi swastika will fade and once more, the swastika will be a symbols for divinity and spirituality instead of white supremacy and hate.

But until then. You need to keep things in perspective.

#21 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 04:06 PM | Reply

if the proprietor of this site wants to tolerate that, that's their choice too.

Are you new to the DR?

This isn't a place for people who are easily offended.

#22 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 04:09 PM | Reply

- You need to keep things in perspective.

Good luck with that happening.

#23 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-14 04:09 PM | Reply

"You sound like a Trump voter who believes Trump should have won because he got 74 million votes. Ignoring the fact that Biden got 81 million votes."

That does not even remotely make sense, in or out of the context of this discussion. You are simply trying to justify and excuse slander and hate speech against a minority. I have never, ever defended Nazis or Nazi imagery which is obviously a misappropriation of other symbols. I have never advocated harassing anyone who was personally traumatized by Nazis by forcing them to look at swastikas. Yet I have been falsely accused of that by you and others here, on repeated occasions, many times where it wasn't even relevant to the discussion. It seems that I am correct in my inference that many of you expect "Hindus" and many others to be completely segregated from Western society, or in the closet, and that anyone who doesn't agree with this view is inviting and deserving of abuse.

#24 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 04:37 PM | Reply

That does not even remotely make sense

Of course it does. You just don't like the comparison.

The rest of your rant has nothing to do with anything I posted.

It's unfortunate you're unable to discuss the topic without getting emotional about it.

Perhaps try addressing the rest of #21.

Or don't. That would shatter your delusion of victimization.

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 04:48 PM | Reply

You obfuscated here for months, if not years, every time you posted on a thread about neo-Nazis by bringing up the ancient history of the swastika, as if that somehow meant that these Nazis weren't really Nazis, and that the symbol wasn't best known in modern times as their symbol.

Telling people here that you didn't is pretty funny.

#26 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-14 04:49 PM | Reply

JFC, what a fnckin' victim.

#27 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-01-14 05:04 PM | Reply

www.healthline.com

Symptoms of psychosis include:

difficulty concentrating
depressed mood
sleeping too much or not enough
anxiety
suspiciousness
withdrawal from family and friends
delusions
hallucinations
disorganized speech, such as switching topics erratically
depression
suicidal thoughts or actions

who does this fit?

#28 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 05:13 PM | Reply

"who does this fit?"

I would say your mom, but it's still loose. Maybe cram a bit more in there?

#29 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 05:37 PM | Reply

Sorry, I couldn't hear you my head was stuck up your mom's ----.

#30 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 05:41 PM | Reply

I would say your mom, but it's still loose. Maybe cram a bit more in there?
#29 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Why do you believe you're a rational person anyone should take seriously?

From the moment you returned all you've done is trolled or played victim.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 05:52 PM | Reply

"#30 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS"

I am concerned for your safety. My mom is diabetic and morbidly obese. What were you thinking when you did that? If you suffocate in there, then you probably deserve it.

#32 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 07:43 PM | Reply

"#31 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK"

Why do you rape little girls on a daily basis?

#33 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 07:45 PM | Reply

Why do you rape little girls on a daily basis?

---------- hot on your mind?

Republican politician says rape and ------ part of God's will.

Mr Faught: "If you read the Bible, there's actually a couple circumstances where that happened and the Lord uses all circumstances.

"I mean, you can go down that path, but it's a reality, unfortunately."

When Mr Williams pushed him on whether both rape and ------ were the will of God, Mr Faught followed up: "It's a great question to ask, and, obviously if it happens in someone's life, it may not be the best thing that ever happened. But, so you're saying that God is not sovereign with every activity that happens in someone's life and can't use anything and everything in someone's life, and I disagree with that."

www.independent.co.uk

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 07:56 PM | Reply

Is that your final answer?

#35 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 08:21 PM | Reply

"#30 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS"

#32 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

It looks like the US Capitol, 1/6/21 around 3pm up in this place! Complete with viking guy and people stealing lecterns.

#36 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 08:40 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by snoofy
Something is mentally wrong with people who believe absolute bulls***.

#13 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

The point I was hoping to make is this:
I'll never be able to dismiss the coup attempt as some kind of mass psychosis.
Even if such a mental state was present in many of the insurrectionists, this was still a planned, premeditated, and to some degree orchestrated event.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-01-14 08:40 PM | Reply

"#26 | POSTED BY CORKY"

You're a goddamn liar. As is everyone else who makes the same claim you did. You are shameless and craven.

#38 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 08:41 PM | Reply

"#36 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURT"

You claim to have your head inside my mom's -----, and now you're making these fantastical claims that are indictive of you hallucinating due to a lack of oxygen. I am starting to believe that you really are trapped inside of mom's vagina.

I would say that I pwned you, but it is apparent that you pwned yourself here.

#39 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 08:45 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Let me put this into words you can understand:
You use the swastika in precisely the way right-wingers fear a man in a dress will use the little girl's room.

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-01-14 08:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I would say that I pwned you, but it is apparent that you pwned yourself here.

#39 | POSTED BY SENTINEL AT

me slandering your mom is a weird way for you to pwn me, but, whatever.

#41 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 08:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Is that your final answer?
#35 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

What was your question?----------?

I find the question odd.

It came out of no where.

Why were you thinking about----------?

Is it something you think of often?

#42 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 08:52 PM | Reply

"me slandering your mom"
#41 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS

Thank you for admitting on the record that was your intention.

#43 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 09:01 PM | Reply

"Why were you thinking about----------?"

I was not. That is a false insinuation.

#44 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 09:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The only thing denser than your brain are blackholes and your mama's ----.

#45 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:13 PM | Reply

"Why were you thinking about----------?"
I was not. That is a false insinuation.

#44 | POSTED BY SENTINEL AT

1st mention of----------:

Why do you rape little girls on a daily basis?

#33 | POSTED BY SENTINEL AT

You been busted.

#46 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:14 PM | Reply

False insinuation.

#47 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 09:17 PM | Reply

Liar

#48 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:18 PM | Reply

I was thinking of female midgets, you sick bastards.

#49 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 09:18 PM | Reply

girl
/'rl/
Learn to pronounce
noun
plural noun: girls
a female child.

liar

#50 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:19 PM | Reply

Let me know when you learn how to count to 2.

#51 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 09:24 PM | Reply

my non-sequiter alarm just went off! Who, what, when, where, why?????

#52 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:25 PM | Reply

Keeping digging.

#53 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 09:28 PM | Reply

ok liar

#54 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:32 PM | Reply

All this on a thread about psychosis. I take responsibility for my role in instigating this hilarity.

#55 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-14 09:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

hag, if you truly were nanc, i am both disappointed and impressed

#56 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Can't handle the fnckin' heat? Get your fnckin' ass out duh fnckin' kitchen, Trunt."

I can dish it out as well as take it. If you guys want to continue to slander me with these lies, I'll turn your negative energy back on you and watch you destroy yourselves.

But there are certain lines I will not abide being crossed. Make or condone threats of physical violence, and I will fnckin' eliminate you from the internet.

#57 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 09:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"hag, if you truly were nanc, i am both disappointed and impressed."

I could've pulled that off for a few days maybe but to do that for years? I just don't have the energy for that stuff. Or the time.

#58 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-14 09:46 PM | Reply

ahh good, the world is as it should be then

#59 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:47 PM | Reply

#57 | POSTED BY SENTINE

how come I have a picture of a kitten with a hitler mustache swatting my feet running through my mind?

#60 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-01-14 09:48 PM | Reply

That's all on you, your mental state, and your kitty porn fetish.

#61 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-01-14 10:05 PM | Reply