Wednesday, January 13, 2021

As rioters pounded on doors and smashed through glass windows at the U.S. Capitol last week, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) says she worried that her own colleagues in Congress might divulge her location to the mob outside, putting her at risk for kidnapping or worse.

Comments

As the pro-Trump rioters streamed into the Capitol on Jan. 6, lawmakers were told to take refuge in a protected "extraction point." But Ocasio-Cortez said she did not feel safe doing so "because there were QAnon and white-supremacist sympathizers and, frankly, white-supremacist members of Congress in that extraction point who I know and who I have felt would disclose my location and would create opportunities to allow me to be hurt, kidnapped, et cetera."

"So I didn't even feel safe around other members of Congress," she concluded.

"I did not know if I was going to make it to the end of that day alive." Ocasio-Cortez told her Instagram Live viewers that it was "not an exaggeration" to say that many members of Congress were "nearly assassinated." She described what she called "acts of betrayal" by some members of the U.S. Capitol Police who appeared to side with the mob, saying that to run for safety and "not know if an officer is there to help you or harm you is also quite traumatizing."

The Enemies are indeed within the House... and Senate.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-13 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It was a rational fear, as witness Traitor Republican Representative Boebert.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-01-13 09:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

"The Enemies are indeed within the House... and Senate."

Lauren Boehbert refused to allow Capitol police to search her bag and person before allowing her entrance. Then they relented. WTF?

#3 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-13 09:33 AM | Reply

This is the definition of conspiracy.

The attack on the Capitol was coordinated and planned.

Here are the insurrectionists talking about the plan, including detailed schematics of the Capitol building.

twitter.com

#4 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-13 09:59 AM | Reply

#4 This proves some of the rioters were calm and methodical about their objectives once they got inside. LE needs to identify all the people in that video, especially the ringleaders, and bring the appropriate criminal charges against them.

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-13 10:03 AM | Reply

"The Enemies are indeed within the House... and Senate."

And beyond:

Capitol riot fueled by deep network of GOP statehouse support

Stolen election lie had backing from party's governing class at every level, extending far beyond Congress and the White House.

www.politico.com

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-13 01:31 PM | Reply

AOC to self, I have to make this about me!

#7 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-01-13 05:37 PM | Reply

AOC to self, I have to make this about me!

#7 | Posted by kwrx25

After all, it was her ass on the line.

Donald Trump promised his clown posse to be there with them at the Capitol, and then stayed safely at home. He's a traitor, and a coward.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2021-01-13 05:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

@#7 ... AOC to self, I have to make this about me! ...

I had that thought when I first started reading the article. After all, she does like media attention.

Then I realized the seriousness of the situation, and realized that she, attention-grabber or not, was a US Representative who most likely was a target of the insurrectionists.

I looked at the situation at a different level than the normal day-to-day politics as usual. This was not attention-getting politics.

This was a coup attempt, an insurrection.

Sitting in a bunker with other Reps,, one of whom may have had her sights on Spkr Pelosi.

Sorry, your comment is just trash, nothing more.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-01-13 06:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Sorry, you are your comment is just trash, nothing more.

FTFY

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-13 06:37 PM | Reply

@#10

I disagree.

What an online alias posts is not what the person is. (surprise!)

Some might say that it is who they hope to be. Or not.

But I try not to engage in those discussions.

I view what an alias posts here as the persona of that alias. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do not ascribe my views back to the actual person who posted the comment because, well, who knows which of the multiple personalities bouncing around in that person's brain is the person was the one who posted the comment with that alias.

For example, this comment was posted by an alias named LampLighter, with all that is associated with it, e.g., www.youtube.com .

But how do you know that I also do not have an alias named BlackHole?

And I also think this song is cool. It's one of my favorites...

CASCADES-Rhythm Of the Rain
www.youtube.com

Enjoy!

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-01-13 10:09 PM | Reply

The Enemies are indeed within the House... and Senate.
#1 | POSTED BY TONYROMA AT 2021-01-13 08:28 AM | FLAG: (CHOOSE) | NEWSWORTHY 1

Reach across that aisle, bro. Give them a hand.

Even lifting them a middle finger is too good, imo.

How lucky that we are now saddled with Biden.

I'm certain all things can be healed-over if they are ignored another decade.

#12 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2021-01-13 11:08 PM | Reply

They had help. Obviously.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-01-14 09:47 AM | Reply

AOC to self, I have to make this about me!

#7 | Posted by kwrx25

They would have hurt her real bad if they caught her.

They had a gallows and a noose all ready for the likes of her.

As a woman of color and a "different" religion she was right to be concerned for her safety during a violent insurrection of Nazi's and Boogalosers.

She is a target of hate by the maga mob because Trumpy has targeted her for his hate.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-01-14 09:54 AM | Reply

Well, they didn't 'come for her'. As pointed out they could have, what they could have done etc... But they didn't. So my point remains that with all the things AOC could have said or done, many point to her to being a future head of the DNC, or President herself, she chose to point out how this event with effects cast wide affected her alone. Take what you want from it, I just don't know that other leaders would have gone that route. Maybe it makes her more human, and a better response than what other leaders would have done... It just didn't resonate right for me in the moment.

Tony an insult from your drunken mouth is a compliment so keep on FTFYing my statements for me and pour me one of what you've already had too many of.

#15 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-01-14 10:49 AM | Reply

Think she's going to take down her tour video of the Capitol on Youtube? It's got a lot of views.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-01-14 10:56 AM | Reply

The incels have been demonizing AOC since day 1
They did this daily as if everything was "all about her"
Now they are livid it's all about her

In other words they put her in the spotlight, then cry brokedick she has the spotlight

That's today's GOP in a nutshell
Brain damaged

#17 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2021-01-14 11:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Well, they didn't 'come for her'.

AOC says that indeed, they did come for her and that she feared for her life at that moment. You weren't there, she was.

Perhaps you're unable to read through your own hatred, but I've never seen any Democrat advertise themselves as "coming" for any Republican simply because they disagreed with their politics. And I have little doubt that when the investigations are over the very gun-toting, Q-loving freshmen will find themselves both expelled from the House and indicted on criminal charges linked to supporting the conspiracy insurrection - as is already being reported.

I'd have to be drunk to write the ignorant drivel that you call commentary. The next time you're able to put coherent thoughts together and make an actual meaningful point will be the first.

And oh by the way, you're quite the snowflake at the same time you lob criticisms at those who actual try to serve others outside of themselves. Grow some thicker skin buttercup. Don't throw stones unless you want a boulder lobbed between your jaundiced eyes.

#18 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-14 11:57 AM | Reply

How many other D-Senators were in the same position? How many made it about them? She has every right to post what she wants, and to frame the event from any perspective she pleases... Why is it so offensive to you to point out she chooses the one that focuses only on her?

#19 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-01-14 12:05 PM | Reply

Tony, I'll apologize for the drunk comment, I confused you with Chief for a moment. My mistake there.

#20 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-01-14 12:06 PM | Reply

AOC to self, I have to make this about me!

#7 | Posted by kwrx25

When fox news spent years brainwashing morons to wish death upon her, the republican murderous cult made this about her.

Plenty of trump's murdering mob or morons would kill her if they got the chance.

#21 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-14 12:12 PM | Reply

"AOC to self, I have to make this about me!"

Since Trump talks about Democrats being socialists and about The Squad in general so much, after leadership figures likr Pence and Pelosi, members of The Squad would have the biggest target on their backs as opposed to some lesser known Democratic House member. Seems to me AOC is cognizant of that fact. Good for her. Being naive about violent Trumpers could get someone kidnapped and/or killed.

#22 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-14 12:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanks, but no need. I throw elbows too.

#23 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-14 12:50 PM | Reply

Did the mob even say her name or is she not really that big a deal even to them?

#24 | Posted by Tor at 2021-01-14 12:53 PM | Reply

It's less about the "mob" in general than it is about specific militia members who were operating on pre-planned orders that included the capture, trial, and execution of specific Democratic members of Congress. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to surmise that the highest valued targets would be the Speaker, Senate Minority Leader, and especially any and all members of the Squad who are the most vilified representatives in the right wing fever swamps and with white supremacists because each of them are women of color.

#25 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-14 12:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I know that Speaker Pelosi and Pence were the primary targets for the terrorists, but imagine what would have happened had they found AOC or Ilhan Omar. These morons think both of these women are as Dotard has called them, "enemies" of the United States. Based on how violent these idiots were on that day, I have no doubt that they would have seriously injured or killed them. AOC and every Democratic member had a right to be afraid.

#26 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-01-14 01:07 PM | Reply

Taylor Greene is now a member of Congress, who plans on pushing impeachment for Joe Biden after the inauguration:

A QAnon-Supporting Congressional Candidate Posted A Pic Of Herself Holding A Gun Next To The "Squad"

Marjorie Taylor Greene, a QAnon supporter likely to join Congress this November, posted a Facebook picture on Thursday of herself holding a gun next to images of Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida Tlaib.

"Squad's worst nightmare," said text at the bottom of the image, referring to the nickname for the group of young leftist women of color in Congress.

In the post, Greene called Ocasio-Cortez, Omar, and Tlaib "hate America leftists [who] want to take this country down."

"We need strong conservative Christians to go on the offense against these socialists who want to rip our country apart," Greene wrote, using hyperpolarized rhetoric meant to divide the country that many Republicans have adopted and was a central theme of the party's convention in August.

www.buzzfeednews.com

#27 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-14 01:20 PM | Reply

Trump is despicable and so is Greene:

Greene is also a racist who has gone on screeds against Muslims, Jews, and Black people.

In June, Politico uncovered videos of Greene saying there was an "Islamic invasion into our government offices," calling Black people "slaves to the Democratic Party," and calling Jewish philanthropist George Soros a Nazi.

After she won her primary in August, President Trump praised Greene, calling her a "future Republican Star" in a tweet.

At a press conference shortly after his tweet, Trump dodged a reporter's question about whether he supported Greene's views on QAnon.

Days later, Trump acknowledged the collective delusion for the first time and even praised it, saying, "I don't know much about the movement other than I understand that they like me very much, which I appreciate."

"If I can help save the world from problems, I'm willing to do it, I'm willing to put myself out there," Trump said.

#28 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-14 01:25 PM | Reply

"Aaaand reach, and reach, and reach - don't forget to breathe - feel the burn."

#29 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2021-01-14 01:37 PM | Reply

The Q-anon mob in a fever dream captures AOC...Pathetic incels, the lot of them!

#30 | Posted by john47 at 2021-01-14 05:07 PM | Reply

It makes sense AOC would have been worried.

Most representatives and senators are nameless and faceless.

With the amount of negative news and misinformation the GOP and Trump spreads about "the squad."

Constantly having their faces on memes and conservatives hit pieces.

They're targets, everyday.

#31 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-01-14 05:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Let me know if there's evidence they wanted her like one of the apes screaming her name or her name being on a list of targets.

#32 | Posted by Tor at 2021-01-14 06:53 PM | Reply

I have no doubt she had much to fear from the angry insurrectionist traitors. However, she is accusing the Capitol police of collision without any evidence whatsoever, and for that she is absolutely wrong.

#33 | Posted by ABH at 2021-01-15 06:24 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Have you been avoiding the news before AOC even made her comments?

Two US Capitol police officers suspended, one arrested following Capitol riot

2 Capitol Police officers suspended and at least 10 more under investigation for alleged roles in riot

And AOC was speaking as much about fearing certain Republican members of Congress as she was about the police who were supposed to protect her. The evidence on police complicity is on videotape and has been viewed by millions already.

#34 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-15 08:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It is a FAR different thing taking a selfie with a rioter and actively participating in the insurrection, and aiding/abetting the potential harm of a senate member. "Showing them around" could very easily be a diversionary tactic to keep them AWAY from where they were hiding.

#35 | Posted by ABH at 2021-01-15 09:18 AM | Reply

"white-supremacist members of Congress in that extraction point"

She won't flee because she's scared people that are in the process of fleeing the exact same mob are going to stop what they're doing and turn her and themselves over to the mob.

That's paranoid, conspiracy theorist thinking.

#36 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-01-15 09:30 AM | Reply

True Tony she did definitely single out her co-workers. Of course none of them did actually divulge her location, or lead anyone to her. So it was pretty nice of her to call them out because she was afraid they MAY do it. Gets to point all the fingers at them, get it into the news that this is the type of people they are, without them actually having done anything.

So I'm wrong this wasn't an all about me move, it was a "while they didn't actually do it... Can't you imagine the Republicans doing this horrible thing!!!! I was so scared" move.

I'm not her fan, but she knows the game for sure.

#37 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-01-15 11:45 AM | Reply

You really don't keep up with the news, do you?

House GOP lawmakers on Wednesday said that threats made toward them and their families could factor in to their decision whether to impeach President Trump.

Republicans voiced concerns about their safety after the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol, which left five dead including a Capitol Hill Police officer.

Peter Meijer, Republican who voted for impeachment, says he's buying body armor due to threats

Despite voting no on impeachment, Utah Rep. John Curtis receives death threat from Trump supporters

You were saying...?

#38 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-01-15 12:01 PM | Reply

#38 I don't think you digested my last comment correctly...

She got into the news cycle the image of Republicans leading a mob to AOC, forget the frightened part.

It didn't play out, but she was certain to get that imagery out.

Yes these other morons are posting they're afraid from threats made. But AOC made news out of what she imagined the R's would do.

#39 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-01-15 12:57 PM | Reply

Thanks for pointing out how I don't keep up with the news, incorrectly of course. While you were the one not comprehending what I wrote.

Way to clip half a quote, totally changing how it reads. Pro move!

#40 | Posted by kwrx25 at 2021-01-15 12:59 PM | Reply

#38 | POSTED BY TONYROMA AT 2021-01-15 12:01 PM | REPLY

There's a trick to body armor. It's not advertising that you're wearing it for a news soundbite.

#41 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-01-15 03:04 PM | Reply

AOC made news out of what she imagined the R's would do.

#39 | Posted by kwrx25

All she did was believe what theyve been saying to her for years online. Your propaganda channels make morons want to kill her and she gets death threats all the time.

The NEWS is that america is in a civil war and one side is a murderous fascist cult led by a con man, willing to assassinate politicians in their terror campaign. I can see why you'd want to distract from the real news.

#42 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-15 03:10 PM | Reply

That's paranoid, conspiracy theorist thinking.

#36 | Posted by sitzkrieg

Every time a trump supporter accuses a trump opponent of being "paranoid" the trump opponent's worst predictions come true.

Smart people could see where this would go from day one. Morons didn't see the problem with putting the nation in the hands of a lifelong con artist, sexual predator, financial fraud, racist, egomaniac, uneducated moron, and white supremacist. Now they have to keep acting like there's nothing wrong with him in order to avoid admitting they were wrong.

#43 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-01-15 03:13 PM | Reply