Thursday, January 14, 2021

As the Republican Party begins to reckon with the fallout from the deadly insurrection, it's being forced to confront a disquieting truth: the lie that ultimately led to the violence--that the election was stolen from President Donald Trump--drew far-reaching support from the party's governing class at every level, extending far beyond Congress and reaching deep into America's statehouses.

Comments

Yes, Trump is to blame for the Big Lie and the ensuing Capitol riot, but his many GOP enablers share a good potion of the blame:

Lawmakers from more than a dozen states attended the Jan. 6 rally, while scores more cheered on the "Stop the Steal" movement from afar. And in the days since the insurrection, these Republicans continued to question the election while giving air to debunked claims that antifa or other leftist agitators--not pro-Trump rioters--were primarily responsible for the destruction that followed.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-01-13 01:24 PM | Reply

... the lie that ultimately led to the violence--that the election was stolen from President Donald Trump--drew far-reaching support from the party's governing class at every level, extending far beyond Congress and reaching deep into America's statehouses. ...

A very significant part of the Republican Party bought into, propagated and even amplified that lie.

They told the lie to their constituents, who believed it and then told the Republican leaders that something needed to be done about it.

The Republican leaders then said that they had to investigate the lie (the lie that they created) because their constituents were telling them to.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-01-13 01:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"What will the Republican Party, nationally and at the state levels, be like going forward?"

Pretty much the same. White and crazy. What remains to be seen is how corporations handle the traitors.

#3 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-01-13 07:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The Republican Party is being exposed as the giant criminal organization that it is. I don't see the party weathering this storm, at least not in its current form. I expect a fracture with the MAGAts going one way and more traditional conservatives another. Republicans will have to choose whether they value their country or their cult more.

#4 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-01-14 08:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Republicans will have to choose whether they value their country or their cult more."

Unfortunately they already did and their country didn't win. What do they actually care about? Two things: tax cuts and deregulation. It is all their party actually cares about, honesty, decency, patriotism are all feelings they deserted long ago.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-01-14 09:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've had ongoing conversations with Republicans I've known for a long time. People who have been what I would consider principled, just more conservative than I.

I've been civil and have offered what I thought was persuasive, fact-based information and analysis from a variety of sources. But even then, the primary reaction has been one of anger and dismissal. Frustrating.

#6 | Posted by cbob at 2021-01-14 11:14 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY CBOB AT 2021-01-14 11:14 AM | FLAG:

Let me follow up to that with some clarification. When I talk about the information and analysis, I am referring specifically to the Trump effect on the GOP, and my belief that the party is seriously damaged and might not survive without wholesale change - most importantly dumping Trumpism. But again, their reaction is mostly, oh you're just a Democrat who wants to find fault with the other party. When in reality I am trying to discuss strategy for the party to survive.

#7 | Posted by cbob at 2021-01-14 11:42 AM | Reply

I personally know several life-long, business owning Republicans who gave thousands of dollars to Democratic candidates in both 2018 and 2020.

#8 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-01-14 12:16 PM | Reply

Easy solution: refuse to seat any that don't recognize Biden's Presidency and kick out any who support the insurrectionists and let the feds charge them with their crimes.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2021-01-14 01:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

with confederate flags in their capitol offices.

#10 | Posted by ichiro at 2021-01-14 03:20 PM | Reply

It's not just Trump's fault - all too often Trump just picks up and echos what is being said by the QNuts already. I don't know if he is just using their insanity or is falling for it. I don't see him as that intelligent or crafty personally - just as a bloated carcass with a narcissistic disorder, sociopath tendencies, too much money and a platform.

In the end he is clearly culpable for his actions but the rot is FAR deeper than Trump. I just wonder how much of this is an echo chamber effect.

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-01-14 03:46 PM | Reply

Law "makers". Law breakers.

#12 | Posted by hamburglar at 2021-01-15 06:03 AM | Reply

So now we know who the actual "deep state" is.

#13 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-01-15 09:14 AM | Reply