Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Janet Yellen, President-elect Joe Biden's nominee for Treasury Secretary, will call for "big" action on the COVID-19 pandemic and economic crisis at her Senate confirmation hearing Tuesday, according to prepared remarks obtained by CBS News.

Comments

"Economists don't always agree, but I think there is a consensus now: Without further action, we risk a longer, more painful recession now " and long-term scarring of the economy later," Yellen will say.

Her call to action comes just days after Mr. Biden laid out an FDR-style vision for getting the coronavirus under control and tackling the economic crisis that has put millions of people out of work since early last year.

"Over the next few months, we are going to need more aid to distribute the vaccine; to reopen schools; to help states keep firefighters and teachers on the job," Yellen will say in her remarks. "We'll need more funding to make sure unemployment insurance checks still go out; and to help families who are at risk of going hungry or losing the roof over their heads."

"Neither the President-elect, nor I, propose this relief package without an appreciation for the country's debt burden," Yellen will say.

"But right now, with interest rates at historic lows, the smartest thing we can do is act big. In the long run, I believe the benefits will far outweigh the costs, especially if we care about helping people who have been struggling for a very long time."

;

"FDR-style vision"

That vision overcame the Great Depression with the New Deal and won WW II with courage, conviction, and leadership.

Yes, more please!

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-19 12:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good. Then slash the DoD budget, repeal some of the GOP's reckless tax cuts and make a real impact fiscally. Have the spine to defend your actions and use real numbers to explain why it was and needed to be done.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2021-01-19 09:54 AM | Reply

Good. I don't know how in the hell they did it, but my rural pharmacy called me this morning to come get my Covid-19 shot at 2pm.

#3 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-01-19 03:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's cool, Mads.

Gov DeSatanist called me this morning and said, "Nana-Nanana! You should have voted for me!".

-------.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-19 05:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I've been getting NO NO NO and put on two waiting lists. I almost fell over when the phamacy tech called me and told me to come and get it.

#5 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-01-19 05:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If you would, let me know how it goes, and if it's Moderna or Phizer. I'm not in a hurry at this point because a second shot doesn't seem to be a sure thing here. Although one is prolly better than none.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-19 05:25 PM | Reply

Hawley delays quick confirmation of Biden's DHS nominee

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) announced on Tuesday he would place a hold on Alejandro Mayorkas, President-elect Joe Biden's choice to lead the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Hawley, who has come under fire recently amid allegations that he played a role in the Capitol riot early this month, made the announcement just hours after the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs wrapped its hearing with Mayorkas. The move delays the nomination of a post Democrats have argued is critical to fill immediately to protect national security.

thehill.com

doubling down on stupid

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-19 05:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#6 I will, Corky.

#8 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-01-19 06:18 PM | Reply

T'anks!

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2021-01-19 06:18 PM | Reply

doubling down on stupid

He's going to be an intentional turd in the punch bowl for as long as he can.

He's playing it up for Trump's base and that's it.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2021-01-19 10:09 PM | Reply

Corky, it was the Moderna shot. I need to come back in 4 weeks to get a booster. To they give you a card with all the information on it to carry around with you and to remind you to come back in and 4 weeks

#11 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-01-20 03:24 PM | Reply