Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Jamie Lynn Spears (actress, singer and sister of Britney Spears) said that more than one of her cats has been run over by a Tesla they never heard coming. Teslas, like other electric cars, run quieter than vehicles with gas-powered engines. "We have now lost " I don't want to tell you how many cats " because they don't hear the Tesla crank and unfortunate things happen and it's really devastating and tragic for everyone involved."

Comments

Jamie Lynn Spears is a terrible person and very poor pet owner. Her cats deaths are all on her.

#1 | Posted by billy_boy at 2021-01-19 06:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It disgusts me.

Blind people are not powerless.

Don't allow cats in the road.

Regrowing functioning eyes sounds like an easier prospect than a traumatized or dead cat, imo.

Should roadside surgical kits be considered optional?

#2 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2021-01-19 07:25 PM | Reply

Blind people are not powerless.

The few I have know have exceptional hearing. I knew one who could count the people in a room just from them breathing.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-01-19 07:57 PM | Reply

This isn't about blindness, but deafness. I took an Uber ride home the other day and the app said the driver was 100% deaf. When I got in I checked to see if this was correct and he couldn't hear me. He just pointed to his smartphone at my address to acknowledge where he was supposed to take me.

On the way home I looked up on my phone how to say, "Thank You" in sign language. When he dropped me off, I did the sign and his face lit up like a campfire teeth baring and all and gave me a thumbs up.

I've got to hand it to less-capable people who hold down a job, since it's hard enough for a fully-capable person to go to work everyday without going stark raving Mad.

(If my use of any of the qualifiers goes against handi-capable etiquette, please accept my apologies.)

#4 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-01-19 08:25 PM | Reply

I used to run/jog on country roads in Alabama and was very careful to check for safety by listening and looking, except when I could hear nothing. I nearly got hit one day when suddenly there was a car horn and screeching smoking tires but I had heard no car coming. It was a Rolls Royce.

#5 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2021-01-19 08:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm surprised this isn't a Sitzkrieg thread!

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-01-19 10:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

actress, singer and sister of Britney Spears

Not necessarily in that order...

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-01-19 10:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

No problem, cats are free. Drive through my neighborhood and pick up all the free cats you want.

#8 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-01-19 11:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Note to self: buy a dozen Tesla's.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2021-01-20 12:34 AM | Reply

Three cats down, several hundred songbirds up. Good trade. Musk should offer his customers lil stickers to keep tabs, like the buckeyes on Ohio State football helmets.
BaDump-BaDump--mark me down for another one!

#10 | Posted by BluSky at 2021-01-20 04:56 AM | Reply

Ever heard of a leash?

#11 | Posted by Yodagirl at 2021-01-20 05:44 AM | Reply

I'm here for the dead cat jokes

#12 | Posted by hamburglar at 2021-01-20 05:47 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm surprised this isn't a Sitzkrieg thread!

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-01-19 10:53 PM | FLAG:

Run over all the cats you want. Just stop making low quality cars.

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-01-20 07:40 AM | Reply

#4 | Posted by madscientist

Frankly sad we have come to this.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-01-20 08:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by grumpy_too

Meant to flag that funny - A RR in Alabama...

#15 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-01-20 08:09 AM | Reply

@#2 ... I've "heard" this argument using the blind are in unacceptable danger at crosswalks being unable to hear the electric motor. ...

Blind, or not.

Deaf, or not.

If there is someone in the crosswalk, the driver stops the car before it reaches the crosswalk. Period. No further questions.

If you are inclined to say, "but... but", go back and read the preceding paragraph over and over until you understand its meaning.

That's the law here in Connecticut.

Back in a previous life, circa the late 70s, I was on business visiting the offices of a record company based in Los Angeles (I was designing equipment for them, but that's another comment). After the meetings, the "locals" took me out to dinner.

I discovered an interesting aspect of cars in Los Angeles.

At one point, a business acquaintances told me something that was quite funny. In my laughter, I accidentally stepped off the sidewalk and on to the street. One foot onto the street, within inches of the curb.

Traffic on the street stopped. A couple drivers got out of their cars and yelled at me.

A business acquaintance grabbed my elbow and pulled me back onto the sidewalk. He told me ~don't ever put a foot on the road unless you ntend to cross it, and only cross it at crosswalks, with the light.~

I left Los Angeles with a distinct impression that the good people (drivers) of Los Angeles take pedestrians very seriously.

After living in New Jersey for a few years (college), where you take your life into your hands when you walk across a parking lot in a shopping center, the Los Angeles approach, and the Connecticut approach were a welcome change.

But I digress.... ;)

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-01-20 07:25 PM | Reply

An ultrasonic emitter at the front of the car would sound like an approaching whistle to animals and not much at all to humans.
It would cost just a few dollars.

#17 | Posted by LesWit at 2021-01-20 10:48 PM | Reply

And these animals would do exactly what with that information? I'll tell you... they'd freeze and stare at it until they got clobbered.

#18 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-01-20 11:26 PM | Reply

they'd freeze and stare at it until they got clobbered

Everyone has seen wild animal shows where a gazelle or antelope, whatever, juke an ambush predator. Tiger springs the trap, lil deer fella makes one cut like Terrell Davis and he's gone.
:48 for the perfect example
www.youtube.com
It's a tool from the evolution bag of tricks. The reason you inevitably clobber the buggers anyway, despite hard brakes, horn, flashing lights is their juke response kicks in, but it is calibrated for things that move at the speed of tiger. So what appears to us as knuckleheaded suicide is really them setting us up for an ankle breaker and hitting left stick + x too late.

#19 | Posted by BluSky at 2021-01-21 01:00 AM | Reply

Deer whistles. They work okay and are very cheap. I don't think most Tesla owners know those exist though..

#20 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-01-21 08:02 AM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2021-01-20 07:25 PM | FLAG:

The Teslas that suffered alleged unintended acceleration incidents into pedestrians, good news bad news. Good news, it was never the car. Tesla's throttle control logic is great. Bad news, it was the Californian behind the wheel, often trying to drive 1 pedal.

#21 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-01-21 08:05 AM | Reply

Just stop making low quality cars.

#13 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Stop making low quality people that keep buying them?

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-01-21 11:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stop making low quality people that keep buying them?

#22 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2021-01-21 11:06 AM | FLAG:

Oooh. That's something that will be interesting to watch. Musk went from environmentalist darling to Covid-denying red-piller packing up for Texas.

But Biden is promising electric car subsidies, which is critical to Tesla's bottomline. Speaking of that bottomline, with adults in charge do you think they will investigate his stock pumps now? or the battery swap scam he pulled on California? Enron quality investigations? Tesla market cap is equal to the entire automotive industry based on 0.7% of new car sales, but none of the other's stock has gone down, which means people believe the new car market has doubled in the last 2 years...

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-01-21 11:50 AM | Reply