Thursday, January 21, 2021

Both chambers of Congress on Thursday approved a waiver to permit retired Gen. Lloyd Austin to serve as secretary of defense in the Biden administration.

Comments

On the one hand, I'm inclined to agree (in principle) with Rep. Porter. I have admired her appearances in hearing and on TV interviews. OTOH, he's the guy Biden wants (and trusts), and after approving a waiver for Mattis it's hard for me to see rejecting one for Austin.

#1 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2021-01-22 09:56 AM | Reply

"after approving a waiver for Mattis it's hard for me to see rejecting one for Austin."

Two wrongs make a right?

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-22 10:14 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-01-22 01:23 PM | Reply

More bean counting,at the highest levels. Civilian control of the military is important. Two generals in as many administrations,is too many. This waiver is not acceptable,Mattis should never have been approved and neither should this guy.

Why can't they find a civilian for this job?

#4 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2021-01-22 06:31 PM | Reply

"I think it is symbolically important to have a black person be the Sec of Defense, assuming of course they are otherwise fully qualified."

I think I would ask RCADE to delete that post. IMHO. The man's race should not be, in any way, a consideration about his appointment.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2021-01-23 10:28 AM | Reply

Now, in retrospect, I think I misinterpreted your post and will ask RCADE to delete my post. I do apologize MODER8, having a very bad day. Sorry.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2021-01-23 10:31 AM | Reply

" The man's race should not be, in any way, a consideration about his appointment."

Get off your high horse. This is the United States. Race is always in play, for better or for worse. Most recently when Biden said he would nominate a black woman to the Supreme Court. Or any time someone touts Biden's administration as the most diverse in US history.

#7 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2021-01-23 10:32 AM | Reply

Solid dude who knows how the sausage is made, as he was a multi-star general making the sausage not long ago. Would have preferred someone who didn't require yet another waiver, but the last acting SecDef set the bar so low that anyone with bare minimum experience in the pentagon would be an upgrade.

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-01-23 10:38 AM | Reply

"Solid dude who knows how the sausage is made, as he was a multi-star general making the sausage not long ago."

"Only four or five Syrian individuals trained by the United States military to confront the Islamic State remain in the fight, the head of the United States Central Command told a Senate panel on Wednesday, a bleak acknowledgment that the Defense Department's $500 million program to raise an army of Syrian fighters has gone nowhere."

www.nytimes.com