Sunday, February 21, 2021

As Senator Ted Cruz, a Texas Republican, continues to face criticism for his family trip to Mexico amid power and water outages during a severe winter storm that hit Texas and the southern U.S. last week, the conservative lawmaker has now called on regulators to take action as some Texans face massive electric bills.

Comments

He likes the flip-flops he got in Cancun.

#1 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-02-21 07:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 9

Musta got his bill when he got home.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-02-21 08:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 6

That's right, de-regulate something that must be a monopoly to be efficient. You can't have two power grids serving the same community from two different companies that's inefficient. We all know that. That like have your own water supply and distribution system separate from your neighbors.

Also, I fail to see how energy derivatives make more energy.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-02-21 09:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

"Under normal weather conditions, supporters of the deregulated system would point to the low cost of electric bills generally enjoyed by Texans."

Except that's a lie. Texas rates are generally HIGHER than what I pay.

And my electricity is generated by the federal government and supplied to me by the local government. Socialism wins.

#4 | Posted by DarkVader at 2021-02-21 11:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

I left Texas in 2005.
My power bill for my place was $425/month.
My gas bill for my place was $125/month.
That was $550/month.

My power bill here averages $120/month.
Same size place - though in TX it was a townhome between two occupied townhomes.
Here it's a house in FL.

No thank you, Texas.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-02-21 11:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

My power bill here averages $120/month.

Egad. I pay about that for gas and hydro. Mind you I don't need A/C.

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-02-21 11:22 PM | Reply

Just political opportunistic grandstanding from Ralphy. Ima sure he was on the phone with his largest donors explaining how this is only for show to appease the people dumb enough to elect him.

#7 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-02-22 07:00 AM | Reply

Except that's a lie. Texas rates are generally HIGHER than what I pay.

#4 | POSTED BY DARKVADER AT 2021-02-21 11:06 PM | REPLY | FLAG

You're reading that wrong. "enjoyed by Texans". Your non-Texas power is irrelevant, and Texas prices are middle of the pack. Within +/- .2 cents from Florida. Before the crony regulatory change, it was 2k5 Yav's pricing, much higher than what's available now. My power cost here was 25% higher when I chose wind only energy, but I ended that after a decade.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-02-22 09:06 AM | Reply

My regulated utility charges about 2/3 what friends in Texas pay. It delivered reliable power during the storm. Water flowed. Wind turbines spun and delivered power. But power generators didn't reap a monster payoff. This is why the energy industry hates regulation. We have solar panels so we only pay $9 per month, every month. We generate more than we use. This is why oil & gas companies hate solar.

#9 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2021-02-22 09:06 AM | Reply

Oh, good. Rafael's comments will certainly raise the cackles of Rick "Specs" Perry, second dumbest man to walk the earth. Tune in for the up-coming cage match between two of the most hated men in America, fighting over political pride and the right to stick it to their constituents. The event will be held on the field of the football stadium of Odessa HS, shown on pay-per-view, with all proceeds going to the Trump 2024 election campaign...

#10 | Posted by catdog at 2021-02-22 09:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7-pretty much SOP for GQPpers-"we'll regulate whatever) unless that briefcase full of money is on my desk by end of day.

#11 | Posted by northguy3 at 2021-02-22 06:27 PM | Reply