Monday, February 22, 2021

J. Kenji López-Alt: We've probably all marveled at how creamy long-stirred, perfectly scrambled eggs could be, then decided that 15 minutes of constant stirring is something we'd be willing to do only for occasions that call for the velvetiest of breakfasts. My weekday scrambled eggs need to be done in the amount of time it takes to toast a slice of bread.

Comments

If you don't know how to make scrambled eggs by now, this ain't gonna help.

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-02-22 04:50 PM | Reply

I'd suggest eliminating the word "quickly" from the headline.

15 minutes to cook scrambled eggs isn't quick.

You can cook them, eat them, and wash the dishes in 15 minutes.

The article isn't about a quick cook. It's about this person wanting to teach you how to make the "best" scrambled eggs.

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-02-22 04:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I just hit a paywall.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-02-22 05:01 PM | Reply

"I just hit a paywall."

All you missed was irritating, elitist, hogwash.

I'll sum it up for you:

Don't overcook your scrambled eggs.

#4 | Posted by Angrydad at 2021-02-22 05:46 PM | Reply

Don't overcook your scrambled eggs.

But what if I'm trying to patch a tire? :-)

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-02-22 05:49 PM | Reply

Eggs are one of the most subjective foods we eat.

So many different ways to make them and everyone has a different opinion about what's the best.

Also. Depending on the moment, we may have a different option about which style we prefer.

Fried. Scrambled. Poached. Boiled. Omeletted. Pickled. Preserved.

Runny. Sunny. Over easy. Medium. Hard boiled. Soft boiled. Raw.

I'm sure this method is the "best" by some standards.

But definitely not all.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-02-22 05:52 PM | Reply

Not really a big fan of scrambled eggs.

Except on my Navy hat.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-02-22 06:29 PM | Reply

Gooey egg whites gross me out.

Since childhood.

One of the few things I never got over.

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-02-22 06:34 PM | Reply

Great tips in the article. Also liked the link to the Cantonese scrambled eggs. Will be putting some of my newfound knowledge to use tonight.

Thanks!

#9 | Posted by censored at 2021-02-22 06:53 PM | Reply

15 minutes to cook scrambled eggs isn't quick.

The article's about finding shortcuts so it doesn't 15 minutes of constant stirring.

In any case, scrambled eggs are greatness.

#10 | Posted by rcade at 2021-02-23 09:06 AM | Reply

It takes time to create the perfect scrambled eggs.

#11 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-02-23 09:11 AM | Reply

According to YouTube there are 2,869 ways to make the best scrambled eggs.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-02-23 09:19 AM | Reply

Whip some eggs with some milk, salt, and pepper. Nuke until stiff.

Option: slice of cheese, or grated cheese into the original recipe.

#13 | Posted by john47 at 2021-02-23 11:10 AM | Reply

Whip some eggs with some milk, salt, and pepper. Nuke until stiff.
Option: slice of cheese, or grated cheese into the original recipe.

#13 | POSTED BY JOHN47 AT 2021-02-23 11:10 AM | REPLY | FLAG:

I add a teaspoon of minced habanero. It's yummers.

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-02-23 01:17 PM | Reply

Just put mustard on 'em and eat the ----.

#15 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-02-23 08:28 PM | Reply

Eggs by themselves? Zzzz...Boil 2 large russet potatoes (skin on) until 3/4 cooked. Dice and set aside. On medium heat, fry 4 strips of bacon cut into 1" pieces with a equal amount of sausage and set aside. Pour off half the rendered fat and fry 1/2 diced onion, 1/2 diced bell pepper and a handful of sliced mushrooms. Once onions become slightly translucent, add a squirt of garlic paste, the potatoes, meat and break 3 or 4 eggs on top. Stir vigorously until the egg has coated all the ingredients. Salt & pepper to taste, then stir in a generous amount of grated romano cheese. Feeds two. Food coma guaranteed.

#16 | Posted by dutch46 at 2021-02-24 03:24 AM | Reply

Just eat the eggs raw if you want maximum protein bioavailability.

#17 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-02-24 05:28 AM | Reply

Can't read due to pay wall....

I've had my own small flock of chickens that run loose in the my back yard for over 10 years. Store bought eggs are from hens that only eat ONE food while in the chicken houses.

My advice for great EASY scrambled eggs.
1. Get fresh eggs like what I have.
2. put in butter and turn the heat up.
3. After the mixing the eggs in in a separate bowl, add them to the hot pan.
4. It only takes about a minute to cook the scrambled eggs but the important thing is to remove the eggs from the heat before they are finished cooking. Let the heat of the pan finish cooking the eggs as it sits on a side burner.

#18 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2021-02-24 03:20 PM | Reply