Monday, February 22, 2021

Daft Punk, one of the most influential and popular groups to emerge in the past 30 years, have announced their retirement via a video titled "Epilogue" posted Monday morning. The duo's longtime publicist, Kathryn Frazier, officially confirmed the split to Variety and declined to provide further details. ... While their rep declined to say whether the duo will continue working together under different names or whether other new projects are in the works, it seems likely, considering the group's famously contrarian and convention-mocking history, that they will continue to release music, videos and whatever other projects strike their fancy. It is even possible that this announcement could be the beginning of a new project.

Comments

I was just playing their music at my house...at my house!

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-02-22 03:59 PM | Reply

I blame the Covid.

#2 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-02-22 04:03 PM | Reply

This feels like the second or third breakup of Daft Punk

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-02-22 04:06 PM | Reply

It's unfortunate. The duo has made some incredible music and some groundbreaking beats.

I've been to a few of their shows. Probably ten years ago now. They blew out the speakers both times. Great times.

I'm not sure why they needed to make an announcement they were retiring.

Like most musicians. They could have just stayed quite until they chose to step into the spot light again.

Artists get bored. They'll be back. In one form or another.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-02-22 04:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Also. They had great music videos.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-02-22 04:14 PM | Reply

Bands get back together just after the first check bounces.

#6 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2021-02-22 05:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Exactly.

It's so premature and unnecessary to make such an announcement.

I guess this opens up the door for a reunion.

The "Daft Punk is back!" tour.

You can't come out of retirement to make a new album until you retire.

Hahaha

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-02-22 05:12 PM | Reply

It all depends on why they are breaking up. It could simply be the creativity is dead. I wonder what will happen with the soundtrack they were supposed to do.

I think the duo has enough to be comfortable off for a long time. They are each worth an estimated $70 million.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-02-22 06:07 PM | Reply

It all depends on why they are breaking up.

Did they break up or are they retired?

Retired means they've decided to quit making music.

Breaking up could be creative differences or that they wanna do a solo album. Work with other people.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-02-22 06:21 PM | Reply

Bands get back together just after the first check bounces.

Prolly not going to be an issue...

Daft Punk, the French Grammy-winning duo, announced their split on Monday. Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo formed the band 28 years ago. The duo has an estimated net worth of over $140 million, which is the combined net worth of Thomas Bangalter $70 million and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo $70 million.

opoyi.com

#10 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-02-22 06:47 PM | Reply

Dammit I wanted these guys to keep being cool and weird into their 70s.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2021-02-22 11:15 PM | Reply

I remember attending Cher's fairwell performance tour....probably 25 years ago. So much for entertainers saying they are retiring. They love the crowds, the adulation. They'll be back. If in doubt, just think of the Rolling Stones.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2021-02-23 05:54 AM | Reply

The key fact is their music will continue (no pun intend). Yay!!!!!!!!!

#13 | Posted by lduvall at 2021-02-23 09:21 AM | Reply

Do they always wear those horrid robot costumes?

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2021-02-23 09:38 AM | Reply

#14 | Posted by jpw

I think the word is "iconic" and yes. Since the beginning.

#15 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-02-23 12:38 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by ClownShack

I think they "retired" the group. Who knows why but it's been a long year...

#16 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-02-23 12:40 PM | Reply

I think the word is "iconic" and yes. Since the beginning.

#15 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

Hmmm not sure that that's the word I would choose but different strokes for different folks I guess.

#17 | Posted by jpw at 2021-02-23 01:37 PM | Reply