Monday, March 01, 2021

Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.) sent a letter on Monday calling on President Biden's director of national intelligence to declassify and release intelligence on an alleged Russian campaign to pay bounties to the Taliban to target U.S. troops, Politico reports.

Comments

That frigging awesome! It came from an Afghan drug dealer. The NSA said no wire transfers where ever made. The Pentagon called it a hoax. The NYT retracted the story for "no evidence" after changing it five times. But hey, "we got him now!"

In other news, Math is racist. If you can count on your fingers, you're a white supremacist.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-01 12:52 PM | Reply

@#1 ... It came from an Afghan drug dealer. The NSA said no wire transfers where ever made. The Pentagon called it a hoax. The NYT retracted the story for "no evidence" after changing it five times. ...

Got any links?

fwiw, here's a link to the NYTimes article. www.nytimes.com

I don't see any notice of being retracted.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-01 01:04 PM | Reply

If you can count on your fingers, you're a white supremacist.

#1 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Trump supporters can count?

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-01 01:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If it's a hoax, let's find out. Now, immediately.

But I'll bet it's something Putin and Trump actually did.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-01 01:37 PM | Reply

#2 - he's been called out on this before but he keeps posting it.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-03-01 01:46 PM | Reply

he's been called out on this before but he keeps posting it.

#5 | POSTED BY YAV

He's an idiot who thinks saying yes when the the answer is clearly no makes him smart.

People like that never ever change their tune, no matter what evidence is presented.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2021-03-01 02:18 PM | Reply

#1 Trump supporters any even count on their teeth.

#7 | Posted by bored at 2021-03-01 02:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 I love you Bored. Am I still a PedoPal for not believing Trump is a pedophile?

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-01 03:47 PM | Reply

Am I still a PedoPal

What a weird question.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-03-01 03:51 PM | Reply

"Discredited Russian Bounty Story Lives On"

www.laprogressive.com

There's a bunch of these on duckduckgo. You can even read the NYT retraction if you have a subscription.

God I love you guys. I should make up my own cool cult. It's obviously easy.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-01 03:53 PM | Reply

#9 Dude, he called me a PedoPal for years. It happened so often I was starting think that was actually the name of one of these "show the doctor where he toucher you" dolls or something. A PedoPal.

You know what evidence? What made him so certain?

I woman in England claimed Trump raped her as a child. She went four lawers before dropping her claim the day before he was sworn in.

Yeah, I know. I sympathize. I mean, Hillery Clinton raped me, and nobody believes me. Especially lawyers.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-01 03:57 PM | Reply

@#10

From a link the article you cite uses to say it didn't happen...

www.nbcnews.com

...Echoing comments in July by Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, McKenzie said that if he could establish that the Russians were offering payments to kill Americans, he would push to forcefully respond. But the intelligence is far from conclusive, he said.

"I found what they presented to me very concerning, very worrisome. I just couldn't see the final connection, so I sent my guys back and said, look, keep digging. So we have continued to dig and look because this involves potential threats to U.S. forces, it's open," he said, adding, "I just haven't seen anything that closes that gap yet."

A U.S. military official familiar with the intelligence added that after a review of the intelligence around each attack against Americans going back several years, none have been tied to any Russian incentive payments.

The suggestion of a Russian bounty program began, another source directly familiar with the matter said, with a raid by CIA paramilitary officers that captured Taliban documents describing Russian payments.

A Taliban detainee told the CIA such a program existed, the source said, although the term "bounty" was never used. Later, the CIA was able to document financial transfers between Russian military intelligence and the Taliban, and establish there had been travel by key Russian officers to Afghanistan and by relevant Taliban figures to Russia.

That intelligence was reviewed by CIA Director Gina Haspel and placed in Trump's daily intelligence briefing book earlier this year, officials have said. The source described the intelligence as compelling, but meriting further investigation. Nonetheless, current and former U.S. officials have said, many CIA officers and analysts came to believe a bounty program existed. They concluded that the Russians viewed it as a proportional response to the U.S. arming of Ukrainian units fighting Russian forces in Crimea, the source said....

[emphasis mine]

So it seems that the report was not disproven, the evidence was reported as not being at the level where action was appropriate or warranted.

And the Pentagon did not call it a hoax, as your comment asserts.

I also find it ironic that the article cited in your comment criticizes the mainstream media repeatedly. Yet it uses mainstream media to bolster its argument.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-01 04:22 PM | Reply

So, in the end, it is good that Sen Duckworth wants to have more information released on this.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-01 04:23 PM | Reply

Yeah. I'm all for it. Haul that frigging drug dealer in front of the Senate.

#14 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-01 04:34 PM | Reply

Okay, I going to post the LA Progressive story.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-01 04:35 PM | Reply

@#15 ... Which is what you just did. ...

The article I just posted (the NBCNews,com article) was cited in the first paragraph of the laprogressive.com article.

In this sentence

...Then, for the sake of argument, imagine that just two months later, the top U.S. commander for the Greater Mid-East announced that his sizable intelligence staff hadn't found a single shred of proof "that satisfies [him]."...

the NBSNews.com article was linked to the word "announced."

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-01 04:40 PM | Reply

@#14 ... And for God's sake don't post outdated articles from before the retraction. Which is what you just did. Every story after that that is properly sourced exposes it as a lie. God dammit dude, watch your nologous. ...

I was using the link provided in your comment.

If you do not like that, then maybe you should provide better links?

Jus' sayin'

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-01 04:42 PM | Reply

"I woman in England claimed Trump raped her as a child."

There's about 25 sexual assault allegations against former President Donald J. TRUMP.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-01 06:10 PM | Reply

#18 Yeah, I'm thinking of adding one.

#19 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-01 06:37 PM | Reply

#19 - in your dreams.

#20 | Posted by YAV at 2021-03-01 08:07 PM | Reply

We have a moving celebrating killing Russians in Afghanistan, to support religious freedom, starring All American Icon Tom Hanks.

#21 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-02 07:24 AM | Reply

Two things, first, I believe nothing coming from the Pentagon during the final year of Dotard's regime; he effectively salted the ground with sycophants by that point, making any official statement suspect. The intelligence was obviously good enough that we briefed coalition leaders on the bounties program, and Senator Duckworth thinks it's significant enough to declassify.

#22 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-03-02 11:59 AM | Reply