Wednesday, March 03, 2021

President Biden said on Wednesday that states like Texas and Mississippi are making a big mistake by ending mandates to wear masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at a time when the nation is making a push to boost vaccinations.

Comments

"The last thing " the last thing " we need is the Neanderthal thinking that in the meantime, everything's fine, take off your mask. Forget it. It still matters," Biden told reporters as he met with a bipartisan group of lawmakers in the Oval Office.

It was uncharacteristically harsh language from Biden, who has placed a premium on civility. And it comes less than a week after he visited with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott in Houston to talk about federal assistance for helping the state recover from deadly winter storms, and boost vaccinations in the state."

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-03-03 06:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Abbott is another loser who somehow thinks he will be president. Incompetents have large ambitions, it seems, and when you pair that with sociopathy you get monsters and monstrous decisions.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-03 07:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'd like to say "imagine" what it would be like for one of these nasty, empty souls to gain national power but unfortunately from 2017-2021 none of us had to imagine.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-03 07:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Biden really needn't be so insulting to Neanderthals......

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2021-03-04 12:11 AM | Reply

Wearing a mask is so easy, even a caveman can do it...

*cue outrage from caveman clip*

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-03-04 03:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 4

Who's going to be the first poster to whine that Biden isn't being a unifier?

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2021-03-04 08:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Doesn't have the same ring to it that Deplorables does.

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-04 09:16 AM | Reply

#5 Hilarious and witty!

Back on topic: I say forget secession, anybody for kicking TX out of The Union? Not a problem, we'll just add Puerto Rico so we don't have to change the flag. Bye bye, clown state! And we could solve Trumpism as well. I'm sure the country of Texas would gleefully coronate His Holiness and Grand Poo-bah Donald Trump as their first King.

#8 | Posted by babyhuey at 2021-03-04 09:46 AM | Reply

So the leader of the same party who demonized Trump for not abusing his power and forcing states to do what he says is now saying the states are neanderthals and is not forcing states to do what he thinks they should do.

The hypocrisy is so ridiculous from Liberals now and has been for some time. Over 100k people have died from the rona since Biden took office. Biden and Libs all demonized Reps for rona deaths yet haven't done anything to slow them down and haven't done what they said Trump should have done and forced states to mandate things. Because Dems and Liberals knew all along that that is an abuse of power but that didn't stop them from allowing the Liberal media to demonize Trump for something he couldn't do anything about. Now Dems can't do anything about it but aren't actually holding their own party accountable for spreading hate and misinformation. It's OK to do that, you know. You don't have to let it hurt your precious wittle ego. It's not going to make you look bad in any way. In fact, it will show that your party is better than the Rep party by holding yourselves accountable for misdeeds.

#9 | Posted by humtake at 2021-03-04 10:24 AM | Reply

You're a g-d moron.

#10 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-03-04 10:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Only Neanderthals, and I mean pre-civilized man, would think wearing a mask to prevent spreading a deadly infection is political.

Biden wasn't even being harsh, he was stating a fact.

#11 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-03-04 11:05 AM | Reply

Between the lack of a real mask mandate (the previous mandate was a joke, no penalties for not wearing), the lack of oversight leading to billions in damages and dozens dead during the power outage, and "There are more important things than living," you would THINK the citizens of Texas now realize: THE REPUBLICAN LEADERS OF TEXAS DO NOT CARE TWO ----- IN A TIN BUCKET ABOUT YOUR LIFE OR SAFETY.

#12 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-03-04 11:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#9 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE

It's March 4th. Shouldn't you be someplace?

#13 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-04 11:15 AM | Reply | Funny: 4

Well, I had no plans to visit any states of the former Confederacy, anyway; so there's that. I likely won't be driving further than about one hundred miles from Oshkosh for anything, seriously. Madison, Green Bay, Eau Claire, or Milwaukee is about the limit of my adventure seeking.

#14 | Posted by john47 at 2021-03-04 11:34 AM | Reply

That kind of language is a compliment to them.

Being smart is seen as a negative quality in the trump cult.
Being stupid is seen as pure and patriotic and simple.
Calling them neanderthals is like calling them strong, masculine, and stupid, which are all things they'd love to be.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 11:37 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by humtake

Why didn't trump have a vaccine distribution program dumbass?

Better yet - why was his own vaccination kept secret?

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 11:38 AM | Reply

(this is the part where you run away)

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 11:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Neanderthal thinking? letting illegals with covid in must be forward thinking.

#18 | Posted by cat387 at 2021-03-04 12:16 PM | Reply

"letting illegals with covid in"

Immigrants Carry Disease!
This meme goes all the way back to Germany in the 1930s. Goebbels would be proud of you.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 12:23 PM | Reply

Neanderthal thinking? letting illegals with covid in must be forward thinking.

#18 | Posted by cat387

Apparently you haven't watched the news in over a year. Covid is already here, stupid. IN fact it's everywhere.

#20 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 12:30 PM | Reply

"THE REPUBLICAN LEADERS OF TEXAS DO NOT CARE TWO ----- IN A TIN BUCKET ABOUT YOUR LIFE OR SAFETY."

Maybe they're OK with letting the individuals determine their own personal risk calculus.

I'd not wear a mask again if I didn't have a gun to my head. I work in a cramped office, everyday. Quite a few of my co-workers caught COVID. Pretty much everyone on my dad's side of the family caught COVID...and they all went home and coughed it off.

Cancer scares me. You get that ad you're going to die. Car wrecks scare me. COVID isn't even on my radar. Maybe Texas is looking at people like me.

#21 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-03-04 01:40 PM | Reply

COVID isn't even on my radar. Maybe Texas is looking at people like me.

#21 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Carelessness isn't something to brag about. In regards to Texas, it will be glad to forget about you once you're dead.

#22 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-04 01:49 PM | Reply

Yes it is condescending as hell to refer to Republican leaders in places like Mississippi and Texas as "Neanderthal thinking". But what the heck are we supposed to say? Is it better to refer to these Republicans as retarded maniacs? How do you describe leaders who knowingly and willfully expose an unknown percentage of their own people to death? Say what you will about Cuomo in New York, but at least he was obviously ashamed enough by the high number of deaths to try and hide the fact. Abbott acts almost like he is proud of the number of Texans he can kill off.

#23 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-03-04 01:51 PM | Reply

COVID isn't even on my radar. Maybe Texas is looking at people like me.

#21 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER AT 2021-03-04 01:40 PM

How about the guy in the next cubicle who has diabetes or a wife on chemo. You get Covid cough all over the place. He gets it and spreads it to his wife and she dies. Would you feel bad? Since there are rules about what we can post I can't say what I would like to but if I was that guy you got sick trust me there would be reprecussions.

#24 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-03-04 01:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

We all know the course of this virus.

Lets see where they are in 30 days, if it takes that long.

#25 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-03-04 01:58 PM | Reply

Abbott acts almost like he is proud of the number of Texans he can kill off.

#23 | POSTED BY MODER8

Abbott's sure proud of something. He presented this stupidity as an exuberant act of defiance. Wants a pat on the back. Really, sincerely thinks that Trumpites will allow a cripple to be president.

#26 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-04 01:58 PM | Reply

Lets see where they are in 30 days, if it takes that long.

#25 | POSTED BY FRESNO

That's the weird, sick thing about this. EVERYONE knows where Texas will be in 30 days. This jackass knows it more than most people, He's already made the same mistake once.

#27 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-04 02:00 PM | Reply

Wonder if Bushlover2 is running around without his mask?

#28 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-03-04 02:03 PM | Reply

TX and MS lifting their mask requirements is simply a knee jerk attempt to change the narratives from their absolutely dismal response to the power outages. The figure they'd throw this out their and in two weeks when hospitals start to fill up, they'll blame Biden. The GOP is always looking for the quick fix no matter the long term cost.

#29 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-03-04 02:11 PM | Reply

letting illegals with covid in must be forward thinking.

#18 | POSTED BY CAT387

Apparently this ------- is a pull string doll.

*ziiiiip* immigrants with COVID...immigrants with COVID...

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2021-03-04 02:30 PM | Reply

"How about the guy in the next cubicle who has diabetes or a wife on chemo. You get Covid cough all over the place. He gets it and spreads it to his wife and she dies. Would you feel bad?"

Maybe. I don't know.

I do know that if you are at risk or a caretaker for someone who is high risk, you need to bug the ---- out. And let's not pretend that wearing a cute little mask is going to eliminate that threat. Or closing bars. Or hotels. Or whatever. Those are just binkies intended to allow the sheep to sleep better at night by ignoring reality.

Or, maybe you decide that you're at high risk, but being part of a functioning society justifies that risk. Especially if you're already dying of that thing that puts you at high risk.

#31 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-03-04 02:53 PM | Reply

"Is it better to refer to these Republicans as retarded maniacs? How do you describe leaders who knowingly and willfully expose an unknown percentage of their own people to death?"

I Greg Abbott making COVID carriers lick non-COVID carriers?

One person can't generally expose another to risk. It takes two, and they expose themselves to each other.

You avoid risk by avoiding other humans. Period.

#32 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-03-04 02:55 PM | Reply

Cancer scares me. You get that ad you're going to die.
#21 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

The Burden of Cancer in the United States. In 2020, an estimated 1,806,590 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 606,520 people will die from the disease

United States
Coronavirus Cases: 29,485,239
Deaths: 532,214

606,520 deaths scares you, but 532,214 does not.
You're a moron.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 02:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"TX and MS lifting their mask requirements is simply a knee jerk attempt to change the narratives from their absolutely dismal response to the power outages."

It seems to be that these measures are supported by the populations of those states?

Am I wrong?

If the residents want the mask mandate lifted, isn't it kinda on the state leaders to lift the mask mandate? Or should they take a more Myanmar-like approach?

#34 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-03-04 02:57 PM | Reply

"You're a moron."

Why am I a moron?

Break this thing down by demographics and you'll have a better understanding of my decision calculus.

And there's this. I can count three close personal friends and co-workers who are in my demographic who have died from some form of cancer. I can name another three who came very close. One of my closest friends here in Germany has just pulled out of a pitched battle with colon cancer. He's 50.

I can't name a single ------------ person I've ever known who has died of COVID. Not one. And I have 46 years worth of meeting people all over the world. The best I can come up with is one guy who was on a breathing machine for a few weeks last April.

That's why I don't care about COVID. If I were an 85 year old obese diabetic with congestive heart failure...yeah, I'd probably be a bit more wary. But COVID for me is about the same threat as sickle-cell anemia. It doesn't keep me up at night.

#35 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-03-04 03:03 PM | Reply

"And there's this. I can count three close personal friends and co-workers who are in my demographic who have died from some form of cancer."

Help me out here.
The "I handle toxic chemicals" demographic?

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 03:04 PM | Reply

If the residents want the schools segregated, isn't it kinda on the state leaders to segregate the schools?
#34 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 03:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The total number of deaths is about the same.
And strictly by age, the risk of death is about the same.

"More than nine out of 10 cancers are diagnosed in people 45 and older." (google)
"87% of all cancer victims are older than 50 years." (google cancer fatalities age distribution)

Number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) deaths in the U.S. as of February 13, 2021, age* www.statista.com
7.1% of fatalities are age 54 and younger.
(which puts 92.9% fatalities age 55 and above)

Just look at these death rates in decline. Cancer is not the death sentence you think it is:
ourworldindata.org

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 03:17 PM | Reply

Poor Madbomber. The only individuals he knows are "single ------------ persons"

I for one spend most of my time with people who are either married or in LTRs, and who don't ---- their m0+hers. But hey, I don't live in Germany so maybe that's how they do things over there-- they ---- their m0+hers, stay single and die (or are dying) of cancer.

#39 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2021-03-04 03:22 PM | Reply

#34 | Posted by madbomber

If the residents want to start enforcing female castration, is the the leader's responsibility to obey those morons? Or is a LEADER's job to protect the public?

#40 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 03:38 PM | Reply

*female circumcision. Castration would be tricky.

#41 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 03:39 PM | Reply

#35 | Posted by madbomber

It's easier to sleep at night when you don't care about anyone.

#42 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 03:39 PM | Reply

But thanks for the reminder that conservatives only care about themselves, and can't comprehend that others aren't sociopaths like them.

#43 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 03:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"And strictly by age, the risk of death is about the same."

By quorum, it's very different.

COVID rarely kills even those who are marginally unhealthy.

Cancer will kill even the otherwise healthiest person. You can't run from it.

Let's do this Snoofy, if given the choice between cancer and COVID, which would you choose, given the prevailing mortality rates?

#44 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-03-04 03:50 PM | Reply

"COVID rarely kills even those who are marginally unhealthy."

Yes, it rarely kills people age 45-54.

"Cancer will kill even the otherwise healthiest person."

Except that they're not healthy. They have cancer.

#45 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 03:51 PM | Reply

#44 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Do I get to pick the kind of cancer?
5 Curable Cancers
www.webmd.com

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 03:52 PM | Reply

*female circumcision. Castration would be tricky.
#41 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Paging Dr. LauraMohr

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-04 03:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Cancer will kill even the otherwise healthiest person. You can't run from it.

#44 | Posted by madbomber

You also wont catch it because someone else is a careless moron, like you can with covid.

Risk your own life all you want. In fact, I encourage it.

#48 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-04 04:13 PM | Reply

MADDUMBER

Long term effects...but you're a cancervative, so you don't think long term.

Moron.

www.cdc.gov

#49 | Posted by billy_boy at 2021-03-04 05:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

hmm...TX, now AL...
seeing a trend here of
Conservative Red States
bucking science, reason,
and whatever a democratic
POTUS wants...

I know I've seen this movie from
somewhere before... :D

#50 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-03-04 08:26 PM | Reply

It would've been funnier if he'd have said ---- Erectus.

#51 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-03-04 11:31 PM | Reply

And now for your moment of Zen:

They apparently don't like being called "Neanderthals." What would YOU call them?

twitter.com

#52 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-03-05 12:00 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Lets see... Hmm, Hilary calling us 'Deplorable's, Obama referring to the folks as 'bitter clingers', now Biden refers to folks who are able to think for themselves as Neanderthals.

Smooth Move Ex-lax!

#53 | Posted by Sludge_Report at 2021-03-05 09:30 AM | Reply

Smooth Move Ex-lax!

#53 | Posted by Sludge_Report

And every time you whine about being called a name, your actions prove the name was well deserved.

Speaking of names, what was your old username, before you had to hide behind a new one?

#54 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-05 01:00 PM | Reply

People who value reality and accuracy need to make it clear that at no time did Biden call someone a neanderthal. He called their thinking neanderthal.

This is a fundamental difference between Benedict Donald's incessant accusations and Biden's.

It is fundamentally different to call someone stupid versus calling their arguments or decision making stupid. One attacks the person, the other attacks the arguments.

#55 | Posted by prius04 at 2021-03-05 02:34 PM | Reply

" no time did Biden call someone a neanderthal. He called their thinking neanderthal"

It doesn't matter. What people heard is what matters. Biden isn't doing his brand any favors with statements like that.

#56 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-03-05 03:21 PM | Reply

Smooth Move Ex-lax!

#53 | POSTED BY SLUDGE_REPORT AT 2021-03-05 09:30 AM

Yep. Nearly half of registered voters fell in those categorizations.

#57 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-03-05 03:23 PM | Reply

It is Neanderthal thinking, but hey,
that's what today's GOP is all about.
Deny logic, deny science, bow down to
the golden statue of tRump...

#58 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-03-05 03:47 PM | Reply

#56 | Posted by BellRinger

"Facts don't matter to morons like me, I prefer the fox news narrative."

#59 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-03-05 05:00 PM | Reply

Facts don't matter to morons like me, I prefer the fox news narrative.

#59 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2021-03-05 05:00

That's too bad for you.

#60 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-03-05 08:04 PM | Reply

"But once you start risking MY life, then it's government's job to protect society from your stupidity."

I can't place your life in jeopardy. Not legally, anyways.

Only you can do that.

#61 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-03-06 10:59 AM | Reply

Only you can do that.

#61 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

I'm not sure why you say that. Greg Abbott just killed an extra few thousand in my state. It's only a matter of discovering who they will be.

The second time he's done that, by the way. Almost as if he doesn't give a ---- about anyone except himself.

#62 | Posted by Zed at 2021-03-06 11:11 AM | Reply