Thursday, March 04, 2021

Philip Bump: Shortly after Jan. 5, it became apparent that Congress was likely to pass legislation substantially bolstering economic relief provided in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Comments

What am I missing?

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-04 08:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What am I missing?

My guess is the death rate vs. the time it wastes reading the bill for no reason?

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-03-04 08:04 PM | Reply

@#2 ... the death rate vs. the time it wastes reading the bill for no reason? ...

While I would agree that Sen Johnson is being a total and absolute anal-pore for the procedural impediments he is placing in front of the passage of the bill...

I am speaking more towards the cited op-ed.

It seems to be going out of its way to associate more deaths with any delay in passing the bill.

To my eyes, that is not a valid linkage, so it is not a valid reason to use as criticism of those who oppose passage of the bill.

And such an attempt to bolster the passage of the bill only weakens those fighting to pass it for valid reasons.

In other words, amateur hour on the part of the op-ed author.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-04 08:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"What am I missing?"

One day of delay = one extra day of deaths.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-03-04 08:44 PM | Reply

I am speaking more towards the cited op-ed.

Paywall, didn't read it.

That would be wrong.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-03-04 08:48 PM | Reply

@#4 ... One day of delay = one extra day of deaths. ...

I do not disagree with that.

But what I do not see is how the bill will reduce deaths, therefore encouraging the swift passage to reduce deaths.

Taking a step back here...

I am in favor of passage of the bill.

Please explain it to me.

thx.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-03-04 09:01 PM | Reply

"what I do not see is how the bill will reduce deaths"

Look in the macro, toward people nearest the edge. If this bill offers ANY relief, one day could be the difference.

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-03-04 10:19 PM | Reply

Republicans fiddle while the coronavirus burns through the population as they have been doing for months. It started with Trump. Here he is one year ago today:

Here is the President of the United States telling the country it's okay to go to work with Coronavirus.

I'm not kidding.

twitter.com

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-03-04 11:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I do not see a connection between the relief bill and the number of Americans dying.
What am I missing?
#1 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER"

You aren't missing anything. Its nothing but clickbait to fire up outrage.

It would be the same as saying 75 people will die in Chicago from gun violence.

#9 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2021-03-05 08:00 AM | Reply

What am I missing?"

The point is that the bill will help provide funding to help get the vaccine into people's arms in various ways:

Fact Sheet on House's Reconciliation Package & the Biden Administration's COVID-19 American Rescue Plan

The Fiscal Year 2021 Reconciliation Act puts into action the policies and budgetary requests outlined
by the Biden Administration's American Rescue Plan.

VACCINES:

The American Rescue Plan calls for the establishment of a national vaccination program, and this
legislation provides critical funding and resources to increase COVID-19 vaccinations across the
country.

Many states have struggled to distribute vaccines after the Trump Administration chose to defer almost
entirely to the states to distribute and administer all vaccines.

The American Rescue Plan requests $20 billion for improving COVID-19 vaccine administration and
distribution, including vaccination clinics and mobile vaccination units, a vaccine awareness campaign,
and increasing the Federal Medical Assistance Percentage (FMAP) to Medicaid-covered recipients of a
vaccine. It also requests over $5 billion for research, development, and manufacturing of vaccines,
therapeutics, and ancillary supplies.

Specifically, the Fiscal Year 2021 Reconciliation Act provides:

energycommerce.house.gov

#10 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-03-05 08:34 AM | Reply

"What I am objecting to is the assertion ofthe asserted linkage that the quick passage of the bill will reduce deaths. I do not see such a correlation."

It could help in by providing funding for these services:

Over the last two days, the Committee advanced four legislative proposals that, among other things, provide:

$14 billion for vaccines;
$46 billion for testing, contact tracing, and mitigation;
$7.6 billion to hire 100,000 full time public health workers to support COVID-19 response;
$25 billion to address health disparities and protect vulnerable populations;
$4 billion for behavioral and mental health services;

energycommerce.house.gov

Vaccinations delayed due to lack of funding for needed support staff and equipment (like syringes) as well as educational materials for reluctant populations, for example, will result in more deaths.

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-03-05 08:44 AM | Reply

Thank you lamp for immediately calling shenanigans on the headline.

One day of delay = one extra day of deaths.

#4 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2021-03-05 08:53 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

The primary delay currently is supply chain problems for vaccine ingredients due to limited production capacity relative to demand.

At least anecdotally it seems vaccine appointments fill up faster than anybody I know can get them. The only people I know that are already vaccinated are either in health care or are elderly.

Anecdotal, I know, but I didn't feel like digging for numbers while half awake.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2021-03-05 08:58 AM | Reply

JPW, I understand what you are saying. My point is that getting this money in the pipeline sooner will help speed up the vaccination process when more supply is available and will, in turn, save lives. No, that won't happen immediately after the bill is signed into law, assuming it is, but don't forget the actual signing date is still a week or two off. Then the funds have to go out and be put to use, which won't happen instantaneously either.

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-03-05 09:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Will the death rate start going down as soon as it's passed as a consequence of anything in the bill?"

If the bill = relief, then yes, that's the way the macro dial turns.

#15 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-03-05 10:33 AM | Reply

I had to try for five hours on a Sunday night in the middle of February to get a block of appointments that opened up thanks to Biden actually BUYING more vaccine. I go Sunday morning for the first shot, then three weeks later.

I also have to drive an hour and a half to get there.

That said, I have co-workers who have driven to Ohio and PA to get the vaccine.

#16 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-03-05 11:46 AM | Reply

I got my notice at 6:21pm on Wednesday. By 8pm I had a 2:45 slot on Thursday, about 5 miles from home. When I got there, I was second in line. When I was first, a gal came up behind me. "When did you get your notice" I asked.

"Ten minutes ago" she said.

The outside proctor told us the "clinic" had opened that day. The inside proctor told me they had some extras, and had the bride come along with me, they would've gotten her in.

The sign-up system forced me to make two appointments at once, which is a smart move.

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-03-05 12:08 PM | Reply