Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Navy can't explain the bizarre encounters that took place across four nights in 2019.

Comments

A reason to believe these drones are something very different than typical commercial drones is that they were all visible, chasing the naval ships for more than 90 minutes.

Even the high grade drones house on one of the naval ships are only capable of operating for about 23 minutes before needing recharging.

#1 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-03-25 04:00 PM | Reply

My very basic camera drone will fly for 2 hours.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-25 05:34 PM | Reply

My very basic camera drone will fly for 2 hours.
#2 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Ah ha!

Good to know.

Is it shaped like a tic-tac, though?

Man, if this ends up being a group of trolls messing with the Navy, it wouldn't be surprising, but it would be one of the greatest troll attempts of all time.

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-03-25 05:53 PM | Reply

SITZ -

Interestingly enough, I believe it's the size of the drone that would be an apples to oranges comparison to your camera drone. The drones witnesses flying around the naval boats were the larger kind, large enough that they could have been manned, as I believe one of the reports was.

Looking up the larger drones of that category, none of them can fly longer than 50 minutes: uavcoach.com

The one discernable characteristic I believe would settle this issue are the sounds from the rotors. I mean drones all sound the same with their multiple fans whizzing around, there's no way to mistake whether it was a typical drone or not. I suppose that might be the main reason their referring to them specifically as drones.

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-03-25 05:57 PM | Reply

And they shall stay "mystery drones" until the SNOOPIE teams reveal what they photographed.

When I first heard about this, my instinctive reaction was: "Chinese drones flown from the hidden underground Confucius Institute bunkers beneath all Cali universities". But it could be UFO's.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-25 06:33 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 AT 2021-03-25 05:57 PM | FLAG:

I have a 100" wingspan drone with a tic tac shaped, white fuselage. It flies 2 hours. It has a fully autonomous nav and camera system with auto-takeoff and auto-landing. It's fantastic for search and rescue, sea surveillance, pipeline surveying, etc. I bought the airframe on sale for under $200 and stuffed it myself. It's a $600 package if that.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-25 08:38 PM | Reply

but if we're going with conspiracy theories, lets go with Russian Sub Launched Drones!

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-25 08:39 PM | Reply

When I was a kid they would have called that "cigar" shaped. I guess the cultural shift is a good one.

#8 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-03-25 10:21 PM | Reply

SITZ -

How far from the remote are they able to go? How close to the naval boats would the remotes have to have been for these drones to operate as effectively as they did?

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-03-25 11:08 PM | Reply

"When I was a kid they would have called that "cigar" shaped."

That is a classic reference.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-03-25 11:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Uh oh. Guys, I just got some PFLM intel: the aliens just realized that all they have to do is disguise their spacecraft as drones, and the infiltration can continue apace.

So not good news. But honestly, we should have seen that one coming :(

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2021-03-26 12:13 AM | Reply

On 433mhz with directional antenna,40+ miles. Illegal af but that doesn't stop hobbyists.

You also don't need a control link. Autonomous boards for hobbyists came out 10 years ago.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-26 07:09 AM | Reply

And good boards have L1+L2+RTK gps that gets you 1cm precision.

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-26 07:11 AM | Reply

lets go with Russian Sub Launched Drones!

#7 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

I would go with Chinese drones.

It's their style. They love techy gadgets.

I question why we tolerate them buzzing a destroyer. Umm. It's a DESTROYER! lol. What the?

Shoot them down. Or better yet catch one. Or send in our own drone squadrons and engage them. Stop screwing around America. We have cool drones, too! Just ask Sitz. Even our toy drones are freakin awesome already. I expect someday the dam things will be everywhere as they get smaller with better AI. I envision them even following you around as a kind of protector. You won't need your IPhone. In trouble or have a question?

Just ask your droid.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-03-26 07:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I would go with Chinese drones.
It's their style. They love techy gadgets.

#14 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2021-03-26 07:49 AM | FLAG:

At the Channel Islands? If it's a foreign power I'm still betting on Soviets. Or it's a US Submarine screwing with the destroyer. US sub commanders are notorious for infiltrating battel groups and sending carriers pictures of themselves through the periscope. We've been developing tube launched, folding wing drones for a decade+.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-26 08:08 AM | Reply

We've been developing tube launched, folding wing drones for a decade+.
#15 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Do you suppose that's why the sailors did not "engage" with the drones? I mean I would have thought they would have shot these things down if they thought there was some sort of surveillance threat.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-03-26 03:00 PM | Reply

Assuming everything in the HEADLINE (Can't read article) is true...What are the possible scientific explanations?

#17 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2021-03-26 04:45 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 AT 2021-03-26 03:00 PM | FLAG:

US Navy gets surveilled constantly, up to Russian pilots buzzing them. The buzz has the purpose of getting inexperienced officers to turn on the Fire Control sensors so frequencies can be logged for jamming later.

There's a lot of plausible explanations, from hobbyists breaking FAA regs to foreign powers.

#18 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-27 08:32 AM | Reply

Just noticed this article is from 2019...

That's ancient news. That was 2 years ago and 6 months is a long time in the world of IT and AI.

Whatever it was we (or they) have advanced a lot since then.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-03-27 10:49 AM | Reply

"At the Channel Islands? If it's a foreign power I'm still betting on Soviets. "

You would lose that bet because the Soviet Union does not exist anymore. They only existed from 1922 to 1991.

So you mean the Russians.

And if the Russians can hang out in subs by the Channel Islands why can't the Chinese?

Regardless. Old news! And probably fake news anyway.

#20 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-03-27 10:54 AM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2021-03-27 10:54 AM | FLAG:

I don't feel like their Navy really got that message.

but the answer is range and fleet logistics. The Russians are better at it. They have the second or third best subs.

#21 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-03-27 01:41 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

This is some 1942 ---- going on, that Spielberg film with John Belushi as the air force pilot and Japanese sub cruises right up to some California beach town. Can Russian subs sneak in right along the coast like that? Undetected in this day and age?

#22 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-03-27 05:37 PM | Reply