Thursday, April 01, 2021

Researchers in Mexico created a "nose-only mask" to help reduce the spread of COVID while eating and drinking.

Comments

I had to double check this was on Yahoo news and not The Onion.

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2021-04-01 05:41 PM | Reply

I've already purchased 3 "Sippy MASKS(pp)" which have magnetic flaps that folds over when in use, and then return to full coverage masks when not.

I've thought that airlines, large venues, sports stadiums/arenas could supply patrons with masks like these upon entry - perhaps restaurants and bars too - until the pandemic is fully over.

#2 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-04-01 06:47 PM | Reply

Nose cover only is weird. But I guess for eating it's practical.

And the magnetic flap one Tony posted looks cool.

But the question is.

How long will there be a market for masks?

With the increased vaccine rollout, and states like California opening it up to everyone (16+) starting mid April.

I don't see masks being around much longer.

Unlike Asian cultures where mask wearing is common.

It's more seen as a precaution here in America, and a fleeting one at that.

#3 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-04-01 06:58 PM | Reply

How long will there be a market for masks?

I don't think you've been reading the data on yearly flu cases for this past winter, have you CS? I can't find the links right now, but entire states have reported ZERO flu cases among school children this year compared to tens of thousands previously. Near zero number of cases in adults too. Our covid mitigation practices have had a wonderful side benefit. Personally, I don't know a single friend who caught the flu this winter.

In my opinion, mask wearing is here to stay under certain obvious circumstances, and I can see the public at large continuing to wear them in certain crowded situations moving forward, particularly in flu season.

It makes absolute great health sense for any worker whose job entails food processing or preparation to wear masks and certainly workers whose jobs are based on close-contact interaction with many persons on a daily basis.

Someone on this blog tried to claim that gullible Americans are now trying to copy Asians as it comes to public mask wearing, where I see it more as America is finally seeing just why Asians - who live and work in much closer quarters than the majority of us here in the States - have adopted the practice as a matter of personal health and well being in mass public settings.

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-04-01 07:17 PM | Reply

...seeing just why Asians - who live and work in much closer quarters than the majority of us here in the States - have adopted the practice as a matter of personal health and well being in mass public settings.

I always thought that was because their air is barely breathable until a few years ago. I was up in one of the parks beside the Columbia Ice Field and a busload of Chinese tourists unloaded, all of them wearing masks. I though that was kind of odd since that's some of the cleanest air on the planet.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-04-01 07:36 PM | Reply

Here is some info on annual flu -

The hospitalization rate for the 2020-21 flu season was just 0.7 per 100,000 people, the lowest it's been since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention began collecting such data in 2005. Measures such as social distancing, wearing masks and staying indoors likely helped hold pediatric flu deaths to just one last flu season, compared to 196 in the 2019-20 season.

Public health experts are relieved that the United States avoided a "twindemic" of a strong flu season amid a spiraling Covid-19 outbreak. But the low levels of flu have left experts with a much smaller pool of data used for predicting which flu strains will predominate next winter " raising the odds that the 2021-22 flu vaccine will be less effective than normal.

www.politico.com

Zero flu deaths reported in Washington [State] for first time

As the typical winter flu season begins to wane, the state has made it through the entire fall and winter without a single flu-related death, according to Washington Department of Health. It's the first time that's ever happened since the Department of Health has began reporting flu illness statistics in 2009, when the H1N1 pandemic struck.

In fact, state health officials say they haven't even seen a positive flu test since the last week in December, when they had one confirmed case -- though they say that other labs in the state may have recorded cases that were not ultimately reported to the DOH.

In the past four weeks, the state has received reports of over 1,400 tests for flu with zero positive results.

komonews.com

Wanna know how to remove worry about the types of annual flu that might exist next season? Continue to tout mitigation practices as a matter of public health based on this year's metrics. I don't think these numbers will escape health insurance providers either as they always seek ways to lower disbursement costs.

At minimum, it will be interesting to see what happens next winter. I'm not going to forget the lessons learned over this last year and I doubt that I'm the only one of a similar mindset on this topic.

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-04-01 07:50 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by tonyroma

In the winter of 1976, the first time I was in the Orient, everyone was wearing masks

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-01 09:24 PM | Reply