Friday, April 02, 2021

After warning for months that vaccinated people should still be cautious in order to not infect others, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests they may not be at much risk of transmitting the coronavirus.

Comments

"Vaccinated people do not carry the virus " they don't get sick," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Tuesday. That's "not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data."

Walensky was referring to a new CDC study that suggests those fully inoculated with the vaccines produced by Moderna and Pfizer don't transmit the virus. Researchers looked at how the shots protected nearly 4,000 health-care workers, first responders, and other essential workers toiling in eight U.S. locations against the virus and more-contagious variants.

Following a single dose of either vaccine, the participants' risk of infection was reduced by 80 percent, and that figure jumped to 90 percent after the second dose. Without infection, people are unable to spread the virus. The results are similar to what scientists saw in clinical trials for the vaccines, which found that two doses of either two-dose vaccine had an efficacy rate of around 95 percent."

'
Good news and a good reason to get vaccinated for those who still need one.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2021-04-02 12:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is good news.

A week from Sunday, I'll have passed my two weeks after the 2nd dose. Still gonna wear a mask, though. And not just because 'just in case,' but to send a message to others to wear their own masks.

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-02 12:37 AM | Reply

As I write this I'm about 30 minutes from 2 weeks past my second Pfizer vaccine shot. While all the emergent data is indeed heartening, I too plan to continue to wear a mask while in public, and in fact have purchased Sippy MASKS if/when I eventually venture back into an indoor drinking/dining establishment sometime in the near future.

Here's to hoping that enough Americans will get vaccinated over the next couple months so herd immunity can be reached despite all the vaccine hesitancy we see - a lot of it from educated individuals who should know better.

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-04-02 08:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I plan to keep wearing my mask into stores until my County stops having new cases of the virus.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-02 12:24 PM | Reply

And now they've walked it back.

And here I was ironing my "Spit in my mouth if you're vaccinated!" t-shirt for this weekend.

#5 | Posted by censored at 2021-04-02 03:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Dr. Walensky spoke broadly during this interview," an agency spokesman told The Times. "It's possible that some people who are fully vaccinated could get Covid-19. The evidence isn't clear whether they can spread the virus to others. We are continuing to evaluate the evidence."

The data suggest that "it's much harder for vaccinated people to get infected, but don't think for one second that they cannot get infected," said Paul Duprex, director of the Center for Vaccine Research at the University of Pittsburgh."

So... Dr W got ahead of herself.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2021-04-02 05:48 PM | Reply

7 days till my second dose, three weeks till freedom.

They should give us a sticker like they do for voting.

#7 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-04-03 02:24 PM | Reply

#6 Yeah we need to remain cautious, or at least be aware.

But vaccine+mask/hygiene+social distancing should have this thing whipped. If the Trumpers don't screw it up.

#8 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-04-03 02:28 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by horstngraben

But that's their super-power.

#9 | Posted by censored at 2021-04-03 05:07 PM | Reply

They should give us a sticker like they do for voting.

Posted by horstngraben

Krispy Kreme and others are giving free stuff to the vaccinated.

#10 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-03 05:53 PM | Reply