Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Comments

"Corporations will invite serious consequences if they become a vehicle for far-left mobs to hijack our country from outside the constitutional order."

Posted by LegallyYourDead

Hoe frightened does Mitch have to be to bite the hands that still feed him?

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2021-04-06 12:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Republican Party took one to the jaw and is acting like it,

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2021-04-06 12:37 PM | Reply

I'm sure someone has already made this point. But the landmark 2003 Supreme Court case McConnell v. FEC had that name because Mitch McConnell himself filed a lawsuit against federal laws that limited corporations' ability to spend money influencing elections. https://t.co/YCMozabjmx" Mark Joseph Stern (@mjs_DC) April 6, 2021

#3 | Posted by qcp at 2021-04-06 02:23 PM | Reply

"...Parts of the private sector keep dabbling in behaving like a woke parallel government" - rather than behaving like a regressive, authoritarian parallel government like we're used to seeing?

#4 | Posted by bartimus at 2021-04-06 02:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell warned big businesses they would face "serious consequences" after accusing them of employing "economic blackmail" in attempts to influence voting laws as the backlash over Georgia's elections law that imposes voting restrictions intensifies."

When it comes to how they choose to address Georgia's racist voter laws, there is no daylight between Mitch McConnell and Eberly:
Blame the corporations for speaking out and acting on it.
Don't blame Georgia for not simply repealing the law.

As a matter of fact, the word "Georgia" isn't even part of the GOP response to Corporate America's reaction!

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-06 02:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

But when it's the Koch brothers being a vehicle for far-right policies hijacking our government he's just fine with it.

McConnell just needs to die. He's not going away otherwise and our country will turn a corner when that sack of clotted blood and ---- goes away.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-06 03:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"far-left mobs"

The GOP is so far right, that there is no left any more.
There is only far left.
Also, we're not people. We're a mob.

mob:
a large crowd of people, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence.
"a mob of protesters"

We're intent on causing trouble or violence.

The language of the GOP is the language of fascism.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-06 03:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

LOL!! From the King of Korporate Kash:

NEWS: #McConnell in Kentucky calls actions of #MLB, #Coke, and #Delta in opposition of Georgia voting law stupid.' My warning to corporate America is to stay out of politics,' he says. I'm not talking about political contributions, he adds. pic.twitter.com/J0yEMjqyYc

- Nancy Ognanovich (@NOgnanovich) April 6, 2021

#8 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-06 05:06 PM | Reply

McConnell's message to corporate America: Open your wallets but shut your mouth.

OCU

#9 | Posted by OCUser at 2021-04-07 12:35 AM | Reply

What are you going to do, Mitch? Roll back the tax cuts you gave them?

#10 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-04-07 12:42 AM | Reply

Jeebus H. Crow! Look up Bill of Attainder in US Constitution! --------- Dimbulb Hillbillies!

The United States Constitution forbids legislative bills of attainder: in federal law under Article I, Section 9, Clause 3 ("No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed"), and in state law under Article I, Section 10.

#11 | Posted by john47 at 2021-04-07 12:49 AM | Reply

What mighty persona is he adopting here, based on what are corporations supposed to kowtow before the yellow bellied turtle? Oh no is he playing the long game?

#12 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2021-04-07 03:50 AM | Reply

I think it's pretty hilarious that the airlines are critical.

The last time I flew, I needed my military ID, a passport, a registration form, and a ticket to get on a jet out of Atlanta. Now I would need an additional COVID test as well.

Pot, let me introduce you to kettle.

#13 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-07 09:09 AM | Reply

McConnell Threatens Businesses who Speak up Against Restricting Voting

These are empty threats and if acted upon, can be undone by a friendly (i.e. democrat) administration. The thing that RULES politics is MONEY. Both parties need BIG money to fund their campaigns. And, the easiest place to get it is from deep pocketed corporations that are looking for something in return.

#14 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-04-07 09:24 AM | Reply

I think it's pretty hilarious that the airlines are critical.

Does the functioning of a democratic republic rest on your ability to fly? When voting is made more difficult, or even more inconvenient (in any way) for people who are eligible to vote, who does that benefit? There is no problem of "illegitimate" voters in any significant numbers. Republicans have moved mountains for decades to find "voter fraud" and only come up with double-digit numbers out of billions of votes. It's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist and an offense to the concept of democratic elections.

#15 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2021-04-07 09:35 AM | Reply

"Is there a Constitutional amendment (e.g., the 15th) or an Act (e.g., Voting Rights) to give you the right to board an airplane?"

Is there a constitutional right to vote? No. There is not.

And technically, anything that requires any sort of identification-if it were discriminatory-would be discriminatory regardless of intent.

And I get that this has left a lot of progressives with their panties in a wad, but the laws in Georgia now are no more restrictive than in many Democratic strongholds. The reason you don't see the left clamoring for CA to relax their laws is that they already have a lock on CA. What good is it going to do for them to potentially open the door for more voters.

#16 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-07 01:49 PM | Reply

"The only things I have had to show ID for in many years are to rent a car or to buy alcohol (with a credit card at the state-controlled alcohol stores). Don't even need it to write a check at the grocery stores."

Dude, seriously? You still write checks.

And I can see you haven't bought a car, or gotten on an airplane recently.

I don't know if it's in effect yet, but very soon in order to fly you'll need either a passport or some sort of special state ID. And that's for domestic flights.

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-07 01:51 PM | Reply

>>Dude, seriously? You still write checks.

These days I just telepathically will the money from my account to the other party.
Saves a reach into the pocket.

#18 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2021-04-07 02:04 PM | Reply

Whodaman may be really old.

I still old people writing checks sometimes.

I don't even know if you can "write" a check the way people used to. I think now they scan the check, which takes the routing and account numbers to make an instant debit.

#19 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-07 02:08 PM | Reply