Thursday, April 08, 2021

Facebook Inc did not notify the more than 530 million users whose details were obtained through the misuse of a feature before 2019 and recently made public in a database, and does not currently have plans to do so, a company spokesman said on Wednesday.

Comments

So you put your phone, name, and email into an anonymous website to see if you've been hacked?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

#1 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-04-08 09:34 PM | Reply

From what I saw, Facebook is of the opinion that this leak occurred because it allowed Facebook to accomplish their business goals, therefore it was OK.

Lemme see if i can dreg that up...

OK, here's what I found..

Facebook Says It's Your Fault That Hackers Got Half a Billion User Phone Numbers
www.vice.com

...A blog post titled "The Facts on News Reports About Facebook Data," published Tuesday evening, is designed to silence the growing criticism the company is facing for failing to protect the phone numbers and other personal information of 533 million users after a database containing that information was shared for free in low level hacking forums over the weekend, as first reported by Business Insider.

Facebook initially dismissed the reports as irrelevant, claiming the data was leaked years ago and so the fact it had all been collected into one uber database containing one in every 15 people on the planet"and was now being given away for free"didn't really matter.

Facebook has become accustomed to dealing with multiple massive privacy breaches in recent years, and data belonging to hundreds of millions of its users has been leaked or stolen by hackers.

But, instead of owning up to its latest failure to protect user data, Facebook is pulling from a familiar playbook: just like it did during the Cambridge Analytica scandal in 2018, it's attempting to reframe the security failure as merely a breach of its terms of service.

So instead of apologizing for failing to keep users' data secure, Facebook's product management director Mike Clark began his blog post by making a semantic point about how the data was leaked.

"It is important to understand that malicious actors obtained this data not through hacking our systems but by scraping it from our platform prior to September 2019," Clark wrote....

OK, so it is my fault for being on Facebook...

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-08 09:47 PM | Reply

I don't go on FB much at all, but shortly after this breach I logged in and my whole home page was in Chinese. Yep, hacked.

#3 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-09 01:45 AM | Reply

That's why my FB page is not my real name, not my real home and they do not have my phone number.

#4 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-04-09 09:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not your real friends either?

#5 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-04-09 10:18 AM | Reply

That's fine by me.

I don't use Fakebook and I don't plan on ever using Fakebook again.

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-04-09 01:06 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by LampLighter

Yup. I like the basic IDEA of a "nice" social media platform but anyone who uses the big social media platforms should at this point in time understand that:

1. They don't care about you.
2. They don't care about protecting society.
3. They don't care about illegal activities.
4. They don't care about much of anything but the bottom line.

When I say "they don't care" - they don't care any more than the absolute minimum that keep users from abandoning their platform and keeps regulators from stepping in. I mean Mark Zuckerberg himself called people who handed over their data "Dumb F****"

#7 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-04-09 02:42 PM | Reply

I don't use Fakebook and I don't plan on ever using Fakebook again.
#6 | POSTED BY DONNERBOY

I'm gonna miss your recipes!

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-09 06:58 PM | Reply

I keep winding up in FB jail for describing nose grinding thick bricks as being just that. Invaribly, some Trumper tool will receive the sharp end of my thesaurus, then beef me to the admins when they get a feeling I'm openly insulting them, but just can't quite determine how.

#9 | Posted by dutch46 at 2021-04-09 10:32 PM | Reply