Saturday, April 10, 2021

"What we're really doing is raising the bar on what we can imagine," Biden said in remarks at the White House on Wednesday afternoon. "Imagine a world where you and your family can travel coast to coast without a single tank of gas on a high-speed train close to as fast as you can go across the country in a plane."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

For context, the fastest speed that a train has ever achieved"not while carrying passengers, mind you, but just as an experiment"is 357 mph. Over long distances, while carrying passengers and making stops at stations, the world's speediest train is China's Beijing to Nanjing line, which runs at slightly less than 200 mph. Meanwhile, the average speed of a commercial jet in the United States is about 500 mph.

But the more important point has nothing to do with racing trains against planes. Biden's comments on Wednesday are part of a grand tradition of overpromising the potential of high-speed rail"though he might have set a new record for the widest gap between imagination and reality.

Comments

"We're going to talk about commercial aircraft flying at subsonic speeds"supersonic speeds," he said Wednesday, before suggesting that future planes would be about to "traverse the world in about an hour, travel 21,000 miles in an hour."

If I knew we were electing a Reagan again I'd have considered a third party this time lol.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-04-10 09:32 AM | Reply

Considering the speed limits and other things on the road that slow you down in this country anyting getting even near 200 miles an hour that has no interruptions is practically airplane speed.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-10 09:42 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#2 | POSTED BY TOR

It will compete well against flights between Dallas and Houston, for example.

The conservative animus towards trains is spooky in its silliness.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2021-04-10 10:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Speed limits in Texas are ridiculous. Seventy-five mph on a two lane rural road is excessive. Why couldn't this have been the speed limit when I was a kid and 55 was the law. I could've saved thousands in speeding tickets. Now, I'm the one holding up traffic.

#4 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-10 11:26 AM | Reply

#3 Especially since we've got continuously updated BNSF Class 1 track running straight through the middle of Texas between Ft Worth and San Antonio.

#5 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-10 11:31 AM | Reply

There's been some online content developed comparing train vs plane in traveling the NE corridor.
www.nytimes.com

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-04-10 11:35 AM | Reply

NYC to Boston, it sounds like trains are the better choice, imo.
www.businessinsider.com

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-04-10 11:37 AM | Reply

When I travel by airplane, I allocate three hours to get to the airport, and then I have to be at the airport at least an hour before my flight.

That's getting close to 5 hours wasted before I even reach the gate area for the flight.

Give another hour before the flight departs... close to six hours.

Depending upon the traveling I need to do, going by train looks a lot better at times.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-10 12:04 PM | Reply

There's the speed limit and then there's the reality of dealing with construction stop lights traffic animals etc.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-10 01:11 PM | Reply

For me getting to the airport gate eats up effectively 11 hours. Unfortunately, the train would take just as long.

Inside of 1400 miles driving is usually the better option.

#10 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-04-10 01:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#10 ... Inside of 1400 miles driving is usually the better option. ...

I'd proffer that using that "1400 miles" metric as the approximate target replacement by trains, instead of air travel, may be a better goal.

When I was in The Netherlands on business back in a prior life, it amazed me just how well the train system there worked.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-10 01:47 PM | Reply

Give another hour before the flight departs... close to six hours.

#8 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2021-04-10 12:04 PM | FLAG:

Sweet jesus. 45 minutes drive which, a quick stop to grab a boarding pass, 5 mins through security with a KTN, straight to the gate and board in a few minutes. Some of the flights I take are about 4 hours start to finish. By car it's around 19 hours. By train you're looking at 2-3 days.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-04-10 02:05 PM | Reply

Trains in Europe are nice, in China and Japan, they are space age, in North America they are horse and buggy.

#13 | Posted by bored at 2021-04-10 02:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

It's already about the same amount of time take Acela from NY to DC than it is to fly, and far more comfortable. But, that's a fairly short flight, where you spend more getting to the airport, getting on the plane, and getting to your destination, than if you just took the train.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-10 02:35 PM | Reply

Europe and Japan had to have an extensive railroad system after World War II because no one could afford gas or cars.

This is proven to be quite beneficial in modern times And I see no reason why we can't now reboot our public transportation system.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-10 02:58 PM | Reply

Part of the reason supersonic commercial jets were never put into mass production is because people recognized they have a very negative environmental impact.

Now watch some dumbshart come along and accuse me of being anti-airplane.

#16 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-04-11 06:51 AM | Reply

It's not the environment. It's the sonic boom. They are not legal over countries, you break windows and sometimes topple structures and people die. Limited use in specific military training grounds or over water only.

Hence all the NASA development of no boom supersonic transports via the reborn X-Plane programs.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-04-11 08:58 AM | Reply

Hey didn't Donnie Fail say the Covid would be gone by Easter last year? 500,000 dead Americans later.....

#18 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-04-13 12:16 AM | Reply

Yes, and he lost by a landslide.

I for one am excited to see what a supersonic train looks like.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-04-13 09:20 AM | Reply