Saturday, April 10, 2021

A second lieutenant in the U.S. Army is suing two Virginia police officers over a traffic stop last December during which the officers drew their guns, pointed them at him and used a slang term to suggest he was facing execution before pepper-spraying him and knocking him to the ground. Body camera footage shows Caron Nazario, who is Black and Latino, was dressed in uniform with his hands held in the air outside the driver's side window as he told the armed officers, "I'm honestly afraid to get out."

Comments

Didn't he refuse to pull over for some time, then refuse repeated requests to step out of the vehicle/ In Texas, if you don't pull over in a reasonable time/distance, the police of course are going to ask the driver to step out of the vehicle...which they can do at any traffic stop.

#1 | Posted by e1g1 at 2021-04-10 09:44 PM | Reply

I don't blame him for driving to a well-lit location where they have external surveillance cameras. The way he was treated is disgusting, period!

#2 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2021-04-10 09:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Gunslinger, it's a shame more police officers aren't like you. Srsly.

#3 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-10 10:05 PM | Reply

Disgusting behavior by the cops, but there's nothing racial about this. It's pigs being pigs. ---- off Castro.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-04-10 10:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

They pulled him over for 'not having a tag.'

Problem is, he'd just bought the SUV and had a temp tag prominently displayed IN THE BACK WINDOW.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-10 11:26 PM | Reply

The 'missing' tag was only a contributing factor. His real 'crime' was DWB (Driving While Black).

OCU

#6 | Posted by OCUser at 2021-04-10 11:36 PM | Reply

The plate was clearly visible in the back window when the police pulled him over.

This is ridiculous. I'm glad he's OK now.

Watching that video made me furious.

#7 | Posted by YAV at 2021-04-11 12:08 AM | Reply

Mad scientist, More often than not, I "back the blue". This is not one of those times. I don't know any police officers who would disagree with Gunslinger. There is NO excuse for the way these officers behaved. I am appalled, disgusted and embarrassed for the profession. These guys were incompetent cowards. It is equally appalling that they are still employed. I hope the Lieutenant wins his lawsuit.

#8 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-04-11 02:57 AM | Reply

E1G1, it is not uncommon for drivers to wait to pull over until they reach a safe, well lit area. In fact, I have encouraged my daughters to do exactly that. That is not new advice and should not have alarmed the officer. As long as he didn't speed up, make several turns or take other evasive actions indicative of a fleeing suspect, that should not result in escalation from a missing tag to a felony stop. If other factors were present supporting a felony stop, by golly, at least do it RIGHT. Conflicting confusing commands are dangerous and I can't blame the alt. for being hesitant to move. The young officer was afraid, of both the driver and the other officer. The older offer was also afraid, and overcompensating with aggression. No excuse fir either of them. Poorly trained cowards. No excuse fir the department either.

#9 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-04-11 03:07 AM | Reply

#7 - Army Lt. Nazario had his hands up, eyes shut from the pain of being sprayed with pepper spray for no good reason, was still strapped into his vehicle - while the officers were screaming conflicting commands to him. Yet Army Lt. Nazario had the presence of mind to repeat commands, state what he was going to do "I am going to reach down to undo my seat belt. Is that OK?" and wait for responses from at least one officer. Step by step Army Lt. Nazario performed exceptionally well under these circumstances. The officers fell far, far short. Officer Crocker should be fired immediately.

As to this being racial, no escaping that fact when Officer Crocker yelled out that Nazario was "fixin' to ride the lightning."

#10 | Posted by YAV at 2021-04-11 09:12 AM | Reply

(#8 - backing up the points made in #7, and also I wish your daughters safety)

#11 | Posted by YAV at 2021-04-11 09:13 AM | Reply

I watched the video. Had the LT just done what he was told, he wouldn't have had issues. Instead, he keeps questioning the cops as to what is going on.

When a cop draws a gun on you, you don't question them. You do what you're told and figure the rest out later.

I wonder if he questions his superiors when being given orders.

#12 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-11 09:57 AM | Reply

---- the police

#13 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-04-11 12:07 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by YAV at 2021-04-11 12:13 PM | Reply

Madbomer, perfect fodder for the Police State.
Cops are not my supiorers, they are my servants.

#15 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-04-11 12:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Socrates spoke of a certain personality trait concerning people who love to follow a hierarchy. They treat their subjects like ----, while being obsequious to their superiors. A very nasty type of person to be avoided at all costs.

#16 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-11 01:25 PM | Reply

Looks pretty racist to me and like another poster I figure there's more to the story than we're told and cops get unfairly accused a lot.

Not this time.

They sprayed the guy before he took off his seat belt.

Cops screwed up.

#17 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-11 02:06 PM | Reply

"Cops are not my supiorers, they are my servants."

Years ago, when I was a cadet, I was with a major and we tried to talk our way on to an aircraft carrier to look around. I stayed back while the major went up and talked to the guard. He came back a few minutes later and said the guard would not let us on. I half-jokingly reminded the major that he far outranks the guard. The major replies. No, he has a gun. Anyone with a gun outranks me.

#18 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-11 02:11 PM | Reply

"#10 - Sure you did. His "superiors" couldn't even agree on what he should do. Everyone on here of both parties agrees, even LEO here agree, but not you. Contrarian, or just a lover of authoritarianism?"

Or should there be a waiting period where the cops wait and politely answer whatever questions suspects might be throwing their way.

I know that if I get pulled over, I don't argue. I do exactly what I'm told...when I'm told. And if at the conclusion of the event I feel like I have been treated unfairly, that's when I would lodge a complaint.

#19 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-11 02:13 PM | Reply

Mad,

"Had he just followed orders instead of asking questions, do you think this would have turned out differently?"

The article said the cops were yelling different orders at the same time.

I can believe that. The cops were out of control and not thinking themselves.

#20 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-11 02:24 PM | Reply

Mad,

This is a case of don't blame the victim.

#21 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-11 02:25 PM | Reply

Mad,

"ride the lightning"?

wtf?

The guy is probably going to be messed up for a long time afraid other cops will come after him now for "causing this problem for their brother cops".

#22 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-11 02:28 PM | Reply

The cops were evidently out of control of their senses. They were obviously looking for a fight, like pack dogs. They have to prove how hard they are to each other.

#23 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-11 02:29 PM | Reply

The Mad Bill is referring to is MadBomber, not yours truly.

#24 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-11 02:33 PM | Reply

Look at how these idiots are holding their weapons.

Wanna be gangstas thinking they're playing a real life Training Day.

#25 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-11 09:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The problem started with the police LOOKING for a reason to pull him over. It is -------- harassment to be pulled over for a supposed lack of a tag. This type of harassment is done ALL THE TIME to generate revenue through tickets and court costs and to keep the bottom feeding lawyers employed.

---- the police and the whole criminal injustice system.

#26 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-04-11 11:24 PM | Reply

I'm getting too old to watch this never-ending parade of cop brutality -------.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

--HL Mencken

#27 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-12 12:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That stupid fat pig with his gun held sideways can't even distinguish rank and then he tries to blackmail the 2nd LT by saying he's going to derail his career. I hope that Army officer gets the $1M he's petitioning for.

Here's a longer version if you've got the stomach for it: www.kltv.com

What the ---- is this "you're about to ride the lightning, son" -------. Do they teach that in cop school? or were they listening to Metallica at the time.

#28 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-12 01:31 AM | Reply

This is why Black Lives Matter.

The cops dropped the charges and then tried to extort him to keep it under the rug by threatening his military career.

This happens every day all across America where their isn't cameras and lighting and then...oops...the cops plant drugs or a stolen handgun in the car and the person's life is ruined or worse..ended.

Now the cop is fired. The police department is going to pay this man and the taxpayers bear the cost.

#29 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-04-12 07:22 AM | Reply

#8 | Posted by Miranda7 at 2021-04-11 02:57 AM

Our local cops have been dressed in really dark, nearly black, uniforms for decades. Not unlike those snappy uniforms of the Waffen SS from the early Forties in Europe. The heat ought to adopt the Sam Brown Belts to complete the ensemble.
en.wikipedia.org

#30 | Posted by john47 at 2021-04-12 11:06 AM | Reply

#30 Same here. Our small city police force of about 12 cops used to wear western-style shirts and brown pants. The only accoutrements were a six-shooter and handcuffs. Now they're in all tactical black armed to the hilt with devices I can't even discern. They've got so much ---- on them they can barely move.

I hate to say hindsight is 20/20, but I knew this ---- was going to happen after 9/11. When i was watching the second tower fall, I thought to myself, the thug police element in this country is going to have carte blanche for 20 years to act like rabid dog bastards against our own citizens. They were just waiting for the right opportunity to do it, and this was it.

#31 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-12 01:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

To balance it out, I've got one good anecdote about a good cop. About 20 years ago, my grandmother was suffering from dementia, so I took a leave of absence and flew out to California to see what the hell was going on. She'd tried to take her life by her own hand. She was in lockdown in the San Bernardino county hospital. After she was released, I stayed with her for about a month. One afternoon she said she was going to take a bath. She filled the tub and dropped a plugged-in red-hot space heater into the tub with her. When I went to check on her I unplugged the space heater, lifted her bodily out of the tub, placed her on her bed and called 911 on her old rotary phone.

An off-duty San Bernardino deputy happened to live behind her coach park and had heard the 911 call on his scanner. He had scaled the 10 foot cinder block wall and was there within one minute. He took control of the situation professionally and was still out of breath from scaling the wall. I thanked him for appearing so quickly. Now, that's what I call a cop. Not some numbnut acting out his S&M fantasy terrorizing people going about their business.

#32 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-12 02:02 PM | Reply

It was happening before 9/11.

During the 1999 WTO riots in Seattle, SPD took great pleasure in riding around in their little blue armored personnel carrier.

The role of the police as agents of state sponsored terror has been with us for a long time:

"The use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of The Brothers has been approved."

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-12 02:04 PM | Reply

-I hate to say hindsight is 20/20, but I knew this ---- was going to happen after 9/11

Interesting. I didn't connect this to 9/11 but I have agree with you.

I always associated the current status of local law enforcement with the war on drugs...meaning when law enforcement starting becoming a national priority. When "soft on crime" was to be a label avoided by anybody seeking federal office.

#34 | Posted by eberly at 2021-04-12 02:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yeah...so I went and dug in a bit deeper. I'm going to retract my previous statements. The cops were idiots who should have been cleaning up puke in the drunk tank.

When taken in full, the behavior of the LT can probably be explained by fear, rather than arrogance or a sense of superiority.

I suspect the cops are done though...their own sense of superiority has sealed their fate.

...And anyone who has ever spent time in the military knows that JO's are the most devious little ------------- on the government payroll. The Lieutenant mafia is a force to be reckoned with.

#35 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-12 03:08 PM | Reply

"This is why Black Lives Matter."

Black lives matter?

Officer lives matter!

#36 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-12 03:09 PM | Reply

Officer lives matter!
#36 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Who here is saying they don't?

#37 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-04-12 03:43 PM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY MADSCIENTIST

Interesting the local TV station did not air the "ride the lightning" comment.

#38 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-04-12 03:54 PM | Reply

Just heard that the fat pepper-spraying pig was fired. And that the Governor has ordered a review of policies, etc.

#39 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-12 04:02 PM | Reply

Mads,

You suppose he practiced in front of a mirror?

"You gonna ride the lightning".

This story is so stereotype.

Small town stupid fat cop acting out his fantasies.

But with real bullets.

#40 | Posted by Billjohnson at 2021-04-13 10:20 AM | Reply

With tinted windows, did anyone even know the race of the driver on the outset when the car was first flagged to pull over.

You know...I put some blame on whoever put the temporary tags in the upper right corner behind tinted glass.

I don't know if the initial contact was even racial.

#41 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-13 10:36 AM | Reply

Officer lives matter!
#36 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

Sure they do. As does every life.

...

Which life matters more?

The white police officer or the black lieutenant?

#42 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-04-13 10:43 AM | Reply

"One thing that definitely needs to come out of this is requiring temp tags be on the outside and clearly visible."

And if they're not, they can shoot you!

You not realizing your attitude is part of the problem is what makes you, you.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 10:44 AM | Reply

Officer lives matter!
#36 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

They were both "officers".

Now what do we do?

#44 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-04-13 10:44 AM | Reply

The first cop I feel sorry for. The look on his face looks like he wasn't agreeing with how things were going.

But he didn't feel like he was entitled and expected to step on toes.

That's another thing that needs to come out of this.

Cops being enablers who otherwise are not bad cops need addressed.

#45 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-13 10:47 AM | Reply

"Considering how bad things escalated this may sound trivial but it is a lesson here."

The lesson is people like you always find a way to blame the victim and give the police the benefit of the doubt.

Notice the use of the passive voice -- things escalated.

Things escalated because police escalated things.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 10:48 AM | Reply

"Another thing is cops need to feel more entitled to step in when another cop is misbehaving."

Again, language.
Cops are already "entitled" to do that.
They don't, because they are thugs.

And here we have what the police did to this man being called:
"misbehaving."

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 10:51 AM | Reply

Snoofy,

#48 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-13 11:07 AM | Reply

-Do you ever actually contribute any thoughts on here or are just the resident troll?

Are you ------- kidding us?

#49 | Posted by eberly at 2021-04-13 11:15 AM | Reply

Snoofy,

I would guess "misbehaving" is how many bad situations begin.

#50 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2021-04-13 11:21 AM | Reply

"I would guess "misbehaving" is how many bad situations begin."

So what?

Misbehaving is not really a fair term for pepper spraying and bullying someone under color of law.

"Breonna Taylor died because the police were... misbehaving."

You're as big a moral joke as Eberly is a moral coward.

#51 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 11:57 AM | Reply

Snoofy,

Sure...after things escalate people die.

If someone had stepped in when Chauvin was just misbehaving, things could have changed course and a different outcome.

I addressed your comment and now I'm done.

Ignoring you.

#52 | Posted by Billjohnson at 2021-04-13 12:54 PM | Reply

"Do you ever actually contribute any thoughts"

Since you can't see what's going on here:

What I'm doing is pointing out how people (conservatives) like you give the police a pass -- even as you think you're holding their feet to the fire.

There are millions of authoritarians just like you.

They said blacks disrespected the troops when they took a knee.

Police beat and pepper spray the troops and you call it "misbehaving."

Don't you get it?

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 01:06 PM | Reply

Ignoring you.
#52 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

No, you're ignoring yourself.

Go hold Eberly's hand. Two peas in a pod. I bed you'd make a lovely couple.

It sure would be refreshing if either of you could find peace instead of parading your misery here daily.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 01:12 PM | Reply