Sunday, April 11, 2021

Videos shared online show a parade of slow-moving Teslas dipping in and out of tunnels and driving around stations.

Comments

More from the article...

...Despite Musk's claim that the loop is "way more profound than it sounds," the system may not live up to all the hype.

It is meant to shuttle up to 4,400 passengers per hour, but documents obtained by TechCrunch in October show that the $52.5 million loop may only be able to accommodate 1,200 people due to fire regulations. And although The Boring Company has said it plans to service its tunnels with self-driving, high-capacity Tesla vehicles, the LVCC Loop is starting out with normal Teslas that require drivers.

Detractors say that makes The Boring Company's projects little more than reinvented subways with significantly less passenger capacity.

Critics also point out that The Boring Company's noble aim of building congestion-alleviating tunnels under cities worldwide ignores the phenomenon of induced demand, which says that more roadways -- even underground ones -- will give way to more cars. ...

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-11 12:09 PM | Reply

The video is underwhelming, but considering how the tunnel connects two convention center areas, why not install busses or trams?
The vision that cars go from street to tunnel to street is a little chaotic, but a closed environment focused on moving pedestrians point to point would be a win.

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-04-11 12:22 PM | Reply

@#2 ... The video is underwhelming ...

Oh, c'mon ... look at those cool lights with the changing colors! /s

... why not install busses or trams? ...

I guess when the "high-capacity" Teslas arrive, they will be like trams. I just hope they are open-top so the riders can enjoy that cool light show. Maybe upgrade the light show to Laserium at some point, and play Pink Floyd music via a sound system in the Tesla....

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-11 12:30 PM | Reply

Vegas already has Fremont St. when I was there it was playing Pink Floyd with trippy jellyfish swimming around the giant arched LED screen.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-04-11 01:11 PM | Reply

Autonomous buses aren't new. Running them in a tunnel makes sense if traffic is congested and you don't trust the robot driver with pedestrians.

More flexible than light rail systems, and likely cheaper to build and operate.

You wouldn't need hi-tech batteries as you could charge on the fly like old electric buses, even if power was only available for part of the route.

It would be cool if people on the bus and those wanting a ride could influence the route and stops, via their phone.

#5 | Posted by bored at 2021-04-11 01:50 PM | Reply

" Vegas already has Fremont St."

The bride and I stayed at the Golden Nugget right after they re-opened following a $75 million restoration. We loved it. Much more like old Vegas, and not far away (walking distance) from "real Vegas" which to us means the semi-run-down joints where the odds are better to attract the locals. I doubt we'll ever stay on the strip again; great for the restaurants and people-watching, but a bit of a pain to navigate compared to Fremont Street.

#6 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-04-11 02:00 PM | Reply

but a bit of a pain to navigate compared to Fremont Street.

#6 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2021-04-11 02:00 PM | FLAG:

That was 2006 though wasn't it? They renovated a lot of the Strip. You can walk from Luxor to Wynn without touching the street. The elevated walkways made it convenient and quick for the most part. The tram is okay.

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-04-11 02:17 PM | Reply

This video is underwhelming... Is there a better word to describe it?

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-11 05:36 PM | Reply

#6 and #7

I have to agree with Sitz we stayed at the Cosmopolitan and had no trouble walking around that area.

We did enjoy Freemont the only downside was catching a cab back to the Cosmopolitan, it could have been worse we cut through the Four Queens and got a cab there at least it was air conditioned in the casino. Getting anywhere from our hotel was easy, getting back wasn't always fun. The worst was when we went to the dispensary and had to walk 1/2 mile to catch a cab back. We walk a lot at home so didn't think much of it before we went but it was 114 that day so that kind of made the difference.

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-04-11 05:49 PM | Reply

I should probably mention that the fact that Vegas was a ghost town this past July probably made the walking not as bad as it would be when there wasn't a global pandemic going on so take my experience with a grain of salt.

#10 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-04-11 05:51 PM | Reply

"That was 2006 though wasn't it?"

It might've been a then, or a few years later; the last four trips have been either cabs or rental cars to the Strip, and then usually because of a destination restaurant. Frankly, I don't mind eating or people-watching at the Bellagio or the Wynn, but I don't want to gamble there. And I can't remember the last time I went from one casino on the Strip to another. Now downtown, we like to juke...and usually keep doing it until we get away from Freemont, too.

On people-watching: one trip, the bride and I were leaving from the Bellagio shortly after it opened, and just about everyone checking in, and everyone heading toward us at the airport, were overdone women showing a lot of cleavage, and oversprayed men showing very few brains. The makeup was so heavy (possibly on both genders) the bride checked:

The AVN Awards were that weekend.

#11 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-04-11 06:12 PM | Reply

"we cut through the Four Queens"

Ouch. I stayed there once. And other than it being woefully run down, I only remember one thing:

You know how awful hotel bar soap can be? In the cheapest of the cheap motels? The worst you've ever had??? Four Queens was worse.

#12 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-04-11 06:25 PM | Reply

#12 yeah just walking through there I could tell. Very 70's but not in. a cool retro way, but in a the last time it was remodeled way.

We had anniversary dinner at Beauty and Essex in the cosmopolitan and I was impressed as heck. Dinner for 2 was 150 including tip and I left feeling like I actually got a great value even at those prices. Most of the time when we go to an expensive restaurant I am not happy with the price to quality ratio but it could have been 200 and I would have felt it was still a fair price. If you are a whiskey drinker get the woodsman, freaking great drink.

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-04-11 06:46 PM | Reply

Typical Musk. Lots of flashiness and advertising to hype something.

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-11 10:45 PM | Reply

All hype and flash, short on experience and common sense. He was hyping no-exhaust-vent tunnels using temperature deltas at both ends to control airflow. That is obvious nonsense. If the tunnel gets blocked everybody dies from smoke inhalation during a fire.

This tunnel would make some form of sense if they followed through with the plan to run high occupancy trams, but you'd need 3-5 years to design-build-produce one with quality reliability which is Tesla's biggest sore spot right now.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-04-12 08:39 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY DANFORTH AT 2021-04-11 06:12 PM | FLAG:

I don't like to gamble, I'm just there for food, shows, and rides if it's for fun. When I was younger I hoofed it all over the damn Strip, usually staying at Stratosphere or the NYNY end of it then walking to the middle. Now it's conventions, almost all at Paris, which is nice since you can take the walk over bridge straight into Bellagio and it connects to the Cosmopolitan. The conventions in the evenings are so wet you want that short walk to your room. Paris & Cosmo has some great food too. Hexx's corned beef with poached eggs breakfast is fantastic.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-04-12 08:45 AM | Reply

"When I was younger I hoofed it all over the damn Strip..."

Back in 2001, we were staying at Mandalay Bay. Out our window was Paris, with the tower looking so close you could almost touch it. So, stupid me, I decided we'd walk it. (What seemed like) 8 hours later....

"Hexx's corned beef with poached eggs breakfast is fantastic."

Thank you! The bride is a consummate foodie, so we're always looking for good recommendations. I'll add that to our list.

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-04-12 01:25 PM | Reply