Monday, April 12, 2021

A desert city built on a reputation for excess and indulgence wants to become a model for restraint and conservation with a first-in-the-nation policy banning grass that nobody walks on.

Comments

Well, it is a desert. I wouldnt want to live in a place where tall fescue doesnt grow, but to each his own.

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2021-04-12 03:31 PM | Reply

Makes sense.

Use native desert plants.

There are plenty of varieties available.

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-04-12 03:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2021-04-12 03:31 PM | Reply

Stop trying to transplant your culture over theirs.

#3 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-04-12 04:36 PM | Reply

Stop trying to transplant your culture over theirs.

LOL, like liberals do to me? ok..

But I did say, to each his own.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2021-04-12 05:20 PM | Reply

Ornamental grasses are dumb because of all the fertilizer and water that goes into growing it. People usually water and fertilize way too much, and the access fertilizer often finds it's way into a river where it is pollution. I admit my yard is mostly grass, but less so every year as I continue to replace with other things (often food).

Also, dandelions are one of the first flowers to emerge in the spring. Queen bumblebees emerge at the same time, so dandelions are a critical food source for the hungry queens.

#5 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-04-12 05:37 PM | Reply

dandelions are one of the first flowers to emerge in the spring.

It's amazing how dandelions are dubbed weeds and immediately destroyed with roundup.

As you pointed out. It's a natural source of food for bees.

Saw a recipe on dandelion jam. It looked fantastic.

Our perceptions are too heavily influenced.

Tearing out native habitats to recreate some Victorian ideals.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-04-12 05:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's the water. Lake Mead has been at critically low levels for years. Folks out west cannot afford the luxury of green grass--they have to stay hydrated. Next thing you know, those in the Silver State will be importing more cacti and cholla, to make Vegas look like Tucson. Will not work, since Vegas is NOT in the Sonoran Desert. Oh well, very few go outside during the daylight hours in that town...

#7 | Posted by catdog at 2021-04-12 06:01 PM | Reply

Some local insight. A lot of people in my neighborhood and others are converting their former lawns into decretive rock landscapes, with a few palms and/or succulents. It's become a huge trend in these parts. Most lawns out here look trashy. I'm trying to talk the owner of our house into it. You can do for a couple hundred dollars.

It looks great and probably adds ten thousand to the value. I think it's a great idea. This is no country for old lawns.

#8 | Posted by bocaink at 2021-04-12 06:05 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY BOCAINK

Before Covid I was a frequent visitor to Vegas. I noticed the rock yard scapes and thought they looked cool and always thought grass looked out of place in the Vegas desert.

#9 | Posted by a_monson at 2021-04-12 06:17 PM | Reply

-Before Covid I was a frequent visitor to Vegas.

Hookers?

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2021-04-12 06:27 PM | Reply

Just helping young women with their tuition.

#11 | Posted by bored at 2021-04-12 06:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

#11 LOL

I don't have an opinion it's not my city or state. Grass is great for O2 but if you have to use up H20 that you need to drink to keep it alive well I'm not a scientist so I don't pretend to know what the line is.
Maybe kill the Bellagio fountain before the grass though.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-04-12 06:59 PM | Reply

Places that aren't Vegas have been zeroscaping for decades. The first I heard of it was in Albuquerque in the 90s.

But I can see how Vegas would attract people who insist on growing grass in the desert. Where do they think they are, Palm Springs?

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-12 07:11 PM | Reply

Just helping young women with their tuition.
#11 | POSTED BY BORED

When I was in college I knew a girl who would drive every weekend to Vegas to dance.

Pretty sure she paid off her student loans same year she graduated.

She was f'n loaded.

Now she's a mom with three kids.

Probably not dancing anymore.

#14 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-04-12 08:00 PM | Reply

In defense of lawns.
Of course nowadays kids are glued to their phones and tablets, but my kids were forced to go outside and play and playing in crushed granite isn't near as fun.

But Bocaink is right most of the lawns, mine too, in my neighborhood look pretty crappy. But we had over 50 days of 110 plus last year and water all you want but trees and lawns still died.

This year should be better,inshallah .

#15 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-04-12 08:26 PM | Reply

I only have a tiny patch of lawn for the kids on over a half acre. Water isn't a concern as I live in PNW on the coast. I hate mowing grass and prefer shrubs and fruit trees.

#16 | Posted by bored at 2021-04-12 08:41 PM | Reply

Tiny patch of lawn is probably sufficient on a half acre plot. And fruit trees, great for climbing, especially in the fall. Springtime too many caterpillars, billions . Spent my early childhood in coastal BC.

#17 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-04-12 08:51 PM | Reply

We have a third of an acre and about 1/2 is "grass" it's actually about 70% clover, 10% grass, and 20% assorted weeds including dandelion. Water is a nonissue despite having a couple of drought years I guess it was never bad enough to take out the clover.

We tried a couple times to plant grass but between the slope and the clover roots it never took and after wasting money 2-3 years in a row I realized that if you keep it mowed the clover looks pretty good.

#18 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-04-12 08:54 PM | Reply

Clover, my love. I have clover on the North side of my house. It's actually a tiny little bulb down about a foot deep here. It grows here in the desert from late fall til spring and when it pops up it gives me fresh hope having survived another summer. That and when Orion pops his head up.

It actually doesn't grow naturally in the desert, I just have it in my yard.

And it's saying goodbye for the season. Waiting for fall a reason to live.

#19 | Posted by bruceaz at 2021-04-12 09:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Funny thing about Vegas is that's where I was conceived. My father was too lazy to go to the drugstore and buy some rubbers. My mother also told me that it had the most beautiful hookers she'd ever seen.

#20 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-04-12 11:01 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by madscientist

A Vegas conventioneer wakes up from a blind drunk next to a strange woman who's wearing a matching wedding band to one he discovers around his own finger.

He grabs his suitcase and golf clubs and tiptoes to the door. Just as he's closing it, she wakes up and says, "honey, we just got married! Come back to bed and let's make love."

Thinking quickly, he says, "um, uh, I forgot to tell you I'm addicted to golf, and I have to play first thing in the morning before coffee or anything else. Sorry, I should have been more honest with you."

"Oh, that's okay, honey," she replies. I should have been more honest with you too. You see, I'm a hooker."

#21 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-12 11:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

My friend owns a house in Vegas. His sprinklers needed adjustment and he had a notice that he was spraying water on the sidewalk and had three days to fix it or be fined. He's an idiot who ignores warnings like this and was bitching when he got a $500 fine in the mail for allowing his sprinkler to spray the sidewalk. His rationale for ignoring the warning was "I didn't think they were serious." Like I said...idiot.

I told him he could get paid by the water district for ripping out the lawn and replacing it with stone and native plants and his answer was "but in the middle of January I like to come here and "see the green grass". He is the only one on the block who has not replaced his lawn with native plants. Like I said...idiot.

#22 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-04-13 10:42 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by horstngraben at 2021-04-12 05:37 PM | Reply | Flag

My neighbor chided me for the amount of dandelions in my lawn blowing seed all over his heavily sprayed, heavily watered patch of fescue. I told him "God put them there so who am I to question the grand plan?". He was less than amused with the answer.

#23 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-04-13 10:46 AM | Reply

He grabs a 7 iron out of his bag, takes a stance, and says, "you just want to turn your grip around a little like this." #21 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

I don't get it ... :(

#24 | Posted by censored at 2021-04-13 05:31 PM | Reply

She is a HOOKer so he's showing her how to not hook the ball in golf.

#25 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2021-04-13 06:12 PM | Reply

She is a HOOKer so he's showing her how to not hook the ball in golf. #25 | Posted by TaoWarrior

Ah, got it! Thanks!

For a minute there I was afraid that my ignorance of sex was showing. Luckily it was just my ignorance of sports.

#26 | Posted by censored at 2021-04-13 06:49 PM | Reply

You can tell the same joke, sans the hooker. You just have to pull it.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 07:00 PM | Reply