Monday, April 12, 2021

Gerardo Serrano ticked off the border crossing agents by taking some photos on his phone. So they took his pickup truck and held onto it for more than two years. Only after Serrano filed a federal lawsuit did he get back his Ford F-250. Now he wants the Supreme Court to step in and require a prompt court hearing as a matter of constitutional fairness whenever federal officials take someone's property under civil forfeiture law. The justices could consider his case when they meet privately on Friday.

Comments

I have to say like your typical GOP politician, he wasn't too smart.

Planning on taking a gun into Mexico - you can do it but it's a pain. Then not ditching the ammo too... BUT MOST OF ALL - Taking photos in customs. That is a big no no. There are signs. I guess he was illiterate or thought they didn't apply to him. You get caught taking pics, will be messed with.

Then refusing to hand over his password? He's lucky he didn't get a cavity search. I can't believe they let him keep his phone. Border agents are notorious for being jerks - not all but I have to say 70% are. Usually you don't get it LEAVING the country though, it's coming back in. Can't be the first time he crossed the border. I used to cross a couple times a month into Canada and you figure our REALLY quick there is no messing around at the border - even prior to 911. I can't imagine how much worse it is on the southern border. I have had mild searches done on my car - in the US and Canada but I have seen a car they tore apart too - like door panels off, back seat out, everything out of the trunk, etc. The guy was trying to put it back together while they watched. YOU have to put it back together and pack it back up if they find nothing. They don't give a sh--, honestly they think it's funny.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-04-12 09:44 AM | Reply

You don't have no rights here. I'm sick and tired of hearing about your rights.' That took me aback," Serrano said.

LOL boot licking repub finally tastes his own fascism and he's whining like a little girl.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-12 12:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In any case, there is a real need for civil forfeiture to be looked at and rule on. What I've read about it suggests a serious, systemic problem.

It's just too bad it took a whiny snowflake Repub being angry to find his own policy preferences being used against him to make it happen.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-12 12:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#3 ... In any case, there is a real need for civil forfeiture to be looked at and rule on. ...

Yup.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-12 12:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | Posted by jpw

IMHO Civil Forfeiture is by definition an abuse by authorities. If there is no crime there should absolutely be no "forfeiture". An authority should not be able to take from a citizen "just because" and that is what this amounts to. The search itself without good cause is probably questionable BUT you are in that zone from the border where the Feds claim broad powers. It's something stupid like 100 miles so you don't have to be AT the border even. In other words you really probably don't have any rights in their eyes.

In this case there was no crime either. 5 Bullets present in your truck, even if you are leaving the country, is not a Federal Crime and most certainly not a Texas crime. This was about punishing someone who resisted their authority. Going INTO Mexico that may be another matter - depends on the Mexico Authorities.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-04-12 03:26 PM | Reply

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete

Several years ago, I adopted a young dog I'd been fostering for 9 months to a wonderful family in Toronto. Among other things (like being an incredible ball shagger), I'd taught him to offer a paw and shake.

I met them halfway between Nashville and Toronto. A couple of hours later, they sent me the cutest picture taken at immigration on the Canadian side of the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor.

The Canadian immigration officer had them pull off to the inspection area to check Buddy's vaccination records. They all got out of the car. Buddy sat and offered the immigration guy a paw. Thinking quickly, the immigration officer swore him in as a newly minted Canadian citizen and let them take pictures and video of the 'ceremony.'

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-12 03:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#5 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

No disagreement with anything you said.

My point is that these types of abuses happen regularly, it's just kind of funny to me that it's a whiny ass republican who's finally bringing the issue to this much needed point.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-12 04:00 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by jpw

I completely agree. I found it humorous as the "whiny ass republicans" are usually the ones USING the seizure and saying things like "oh well, you shouldn't xyz." - turning it into the victims fault. Admittedly, I did that a little here because in my mind you have to be absolutely stupid to mess with border agents as they have too much authority and are all too entertained to use it. I don't even cut through Canada when we go East anymore because of how unpredictable things can be. Pre-Covid of course, it isn't much of an option now.

I posted an article like on this topic a couple years ago. Where a guy was a professional poker player traveling across country (NY to Las Vegas I believe) and some Podunk sheriff in I believe Kansas seized his cash because "it might be used for something illegal" or something similar. I believe it was a bogus stop as well. Civil forfeitures are a gross abuse of power. All to often the courts tell the victims "too bad" as well - the guy in the story was denied the return of the Cash.

Civil Forfeiture is in my mind an "unreasonable" seizure and should be unconstitutional. Now if you committed an ACTUAL CRIME and the property is involved, that's different. But to take something "just because". The agents here used a bogus 'munitions of war' "charge"/claim to take the truck. He wasn't criminally charged because they knew it wouldn't stick (was too much paperwork undoubtedly too) and this was more fun.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-04-12 05:17 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-12 03:29 PM | Reply | Flag:

Canadian immigration are some of the most polite I've ever encountered.

One time I was heading to a sports card show in St. Catherines. I had ten or so common cards in my glove box a friend gave me to help complete a set for the year. The agent when asking me where I was going asked if "I had any sports cards in the vehicle." I of course said yes. He told me to head over for further inspection. Another agent came out and asked to see the cards...I pulled the box out with the common cards...he asked "Is that it?" I said yes. He asked "Who sent you over?" I pointed to the officer and his response was "Oh man, that's 'Meatball'. He should have asked to see what you had before delaying you. I'll make sure to board him tonight at hockey for wasting your time. Have a good day."

#9 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-04-14 11:22 AM | Reply