Tuesday, April 13, 2021

FDA announcement via Twitter: Today FDA and CDC issued a statement regarding the Johnson & Johnson #COVID19 vaccine. We are recommending a pause in the use of this vaccine out of an abundance of caution. As of 4/12, 6.8m+ doses of the J&J vaccine have been administered in the U.S. CDC & FDA are reviewing data involving 6 reported U.S. cases of a rare & severe type of blood clot in individuals after receiving the vaccine. Right now, these adverse events appear to be extremely rare. Treatment of this specific type of blood clot is different from the treatment that might typically be administered. CDC will convene a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) on Wednesday to further review these cases and assess their potential significance. FDA will review that analysis as it also investigates these cases. Until that process is complete, we are recommending this pause. This is important to ensure that the health care provider community is aware of the potential for these adverse events and can plan due to the unique treatment required with this type of blood clot.

Comments

Yep. This happened.

#1 | Posted by YAV at 2021-04-13 07:46 AM | Reply

"Shame on the U.S. for spreading doubts about the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine." - bug_chaser

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-04-13 08:31 AM | Reply

isn't this more of an over-abundance of caution?

#3 | Posted by eberly at 2021-04-13 08:45 AM | Reply

#3, yep. And it's a good thing. 6 people out of 6 million are getting blood clots and they want to be able to know how to respond when these VERY RARE cases come up. I dont think the pause should be that long. Give them just enough time to come up with process to deal with this kind of issue and continue issuing doses.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2021-04-13 08:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Agreed. Putting things a bit in perspective, but not dismissing this is bad news and the loss of life (1 person), 6.8 million have received the J&J vaccine and there have been 6 cases of this rare blood clotting result.

That is 0.00009% with blood clotting, and 0.000015% fatality rate.

I think the pause is wise because the the blood clots are treated in this situation is different than the standard way of treating blood clotting, and the Medical providers need to come up to speed on how to treat and what to look for. We don't need more reasons for not getting vaccinated.

#5 | Posted by YAV at 2021-04-13 08:57 AM | Reply

NPR segment about this this morning also mentioned it was only happening to women. So far at least.

#6 | Posted by qcp at 2021-04-13 09:06 AM | Reply

This sure won't help getting the Marines to take their shot.

#7 | Posted by fortfisher at 2021-04-13 09:07 AM | Reply

Basic math says the chance of clotting with JNJ is less than 1 in a million.
CDC has seen no clotting w/Pfizer or Moderna vaccines after nearly 200 million doses.

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-04-13 10:27 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Is there actually somebody who said this?

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-13 10:28 AM | Reply

This sure won't help getting the Marines to take their shot.

#7 | POSTED BY FORTFISHER

Yup. And sadly, more fodder for the Anti-Vaxers.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-04-13 10:30 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Is there actually somebody who said this?

#9 | POSTED BY JPW

Perhaps he is channeling his uncle Fester from the basement.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2021-04-13 10:31 AM | Reply

Sounds like exactly what happened with the AstraZeneca vaccine.

The fact that two adenovirus vaccines caused this is likely going to make more than a few biotech stocks fall in the coming months.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2021-04-13 10:35 AM | Reply

@#5 ... I think the pause is wise ...

I also think the pause is wise.

I look at the tracking and monitoring of the vaccine that has been occurring and is occurring in real time. Tracking that caught these very rare occurrences and fed the information to the people who made the decision to pause.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-13 10:36 AM | Reply

FDA expects J&J vaccine pause to last "a matter of days"
www.axios.com

...The latest: Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock said at a briefing that she expects the pause to only last "a matter of days," as health officials investigate the data surrounding the "extremely rare" blood clots.

Driving the news: The FDA's recommendation was issued "out of an abundance of caution" and to prepare health providers to recognize and treat patients appropriately, since these types of blood clots require a different kind of treatment....

#14 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-04-13 11:08 AM | Reply

Mark D. Levine @MarkLevineNYC

Important: If you have an J&J appt at a NY State-run vax site today (e.g. Javits, Aqueduct), you should still go and you will be offered Pfizer instead.

twitter.com

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-13 01:35 PM | Reply

"Marks said at this time it's not clear there's any connection with women taking birth control."

The first thing I wondered when I heard women of childbearing years got the blood clots was if there was a connection to taking birth control pills, some of which raise one's risk of getting clots.

#16 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-13 01:43 PM | Reply

Liberal Redneck - J&J Vaccine Gets Pulled

www.youtube.com

c'mon... it's two minutes... take a shot

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2021-04-13 07:26 PM | Reply

The shot wasn't approved for injection by the FDA

Say what you want but the FDA didn't have enough data to approve it for mass injection. Then figure in that they won't hold J&J responsible for any complications. And when you digest all that, Figure in that the virus is about as harmful as the vaccine. It's all --------. mid 50's here and my wife and I both had 4 days of flu-like symptoms. this is utterly stupid. We won't be getting the jab.And we wont be getting any documentation saying we're scared of a flu-like virus so that the government can lock us out of venues that are maskless. put that in your putrid pipe and smoke that.

#18 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-13 09:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Figure in that the virus is about as harmful as the vaccine."

Vernon, is that you?
Gonna need to see your math on that one.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 09:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#18 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

LOL

What a crock.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-04-13 09:33 PM | Reply

#19 - LMAO!

#20 - Yep!

#21 | Posted by YAV at 2021-04-13 10:21 PM | Reply

COVID causes blood clots, among other serious effects including damage to organs and the immune system.

#22 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-14 12:24 AM | Reply

If your COVID is serious enough to go to the hospital, you have a 14% chance of blood clots.

thorax.bmj.com

.00001 chance with the J&J vaccine ... if you're a woman of childbearing age (less than 1/1,000,000).

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-14 12:55 AM | Reply

Don't be scared of the virus , but you shouldn't be stupid either.

#24 | Posted by fortfisher at 2021-04-14 08:13 AM | Reply

The odds of getting getting hit by lightning (1 in 500,000) are more than twice as high as getting blood clots from the J&J vaccine (less than 1 in 1,000,000).

#25 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-14 08:13 AM | Reply

Scientists begin to unravel rare blood clotting disorder connected to J&J and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccines

www.usatoday.com

#26 | Posted by americanunity at 2021-04-14 08:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My guess is these woman were on birth control. Birth control can increase the risk of blood clots. Considering all six women were of childbearing age, odds are they were on some form of BC. Did the J&J vaccine combined with taking BC increase the odds of blood clots? Several people in our 55+ HOA got the J&J vaccine and had no issues. Every person that got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine had a reaction, some with minor issues, even more with bad reactions. I got the Moderna and had a horrible reaction after the first shot.

#27 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2021-04-14 09:26 AM | Reply

Gotta give you credit for this. Very well reasoned theory worthy of investigation.

However, in the USA Today story AU linked to above, there is at least one incidence of a male having the same clotting issue. Wonder if it could be linked to hormonal levels (which could be the same thing you're positing - NOT a scientist here natch)?

#28 | Posted by tonyroma at 2021-04-14 09:56 AM | Reply

I think I would still rather take the increased risk with the J & J and get it done with.

My morning commute is riskier than this.

#29 | Posted by madbomber at 2021-04-14 11:28 AM | Reply

Smoking causes bloodclots more often than this and I have yet to see cigarettes banned.

#30 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-04-14 11:32 AM | Reply

vaccine related

#35 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:35 PM | Reply

www.msn.com

Vaccine related

#36 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:36 PM | Reply

www.the-sun.com

Healthy mom dies days after vaccine.

#37 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:36 PM | Reply

Physical therapist dies 2 days after vaccination.

www.dailymail.co.uk

#38 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:38 PM | Reply

dies shortly after taking vaccine
www.nbcnews.com
#33 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER

Here's the headline:

Virginia woman dies shortly after Covid vaccination, though no link has been found

No cause of death was determined, and it was not known if any underlying conditions might have contributed.

#39 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 08:38 PM | Reply

23 die in Norway after receiving the vaccine

nypost.com

#40 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:39 PM | Reply

#30 | POSTED BY NIXON AT 2021-04-14 11:32 AM | REPLY | FLAG

but smoking causes blood clots. Thanks -----.

#41 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:40 PM | Reply

#39 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2021-04-14 08:38 PM |

You can have my dose

#42 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:42 PM | Reply

#39 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2021-04-14 08:38 PM | REPLY

Honestly, do you want me to keep posting mainstream articles?

#43 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:44 PM | Reply

#42 I've already had both my doses of the Moderna vaccine.

#44 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 08:44 PM | Reply

#42 I've already had both my doses of the Moderna vaccine.

#44 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2021-04-14 08:44 PM | REPLY

Ok so you escaped unscathed. Do you recognize the problem I have posted or not?

#45 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:46 PM | Reply

"Honestly, do you want me to keep posting mainstream articles?"

It looks to me like you are spamming this thread with posts, but that's not my call.

#46 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 08:47 PM | Reply

You also don't have the luxury of knowing the long term effects that could be a problem for you. This vaccine is not approved by trials through our FDA... Good luck.

#47 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:48 PM | Reply

#46 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2021-04-14 08:47 PM | REPLY

Spamming? I posted the damn thread. and it's the exact subject matter.

#48 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:49 PM | Reply

"Ok so you escaped unscathed. Do you recognize the problem I have posted or not?"

I only looked at two of the links you posted, and both of them said that the cause of death had not been determined to be the vaccine.

#49 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 08:49 PM | Reply

Would you rather me post about Bigfoot and Unicorns?

#50 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:50 PM | Reply

#49 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2021-04-14 08:49 PM | FLAG:

OK you are right but you picked and choosed. But 23!?!?!

23 die in Norway after receiving the vaccine
nypost.com
#40 | POSTED BY BELLRINGER AT 2021-04-14 08:39 PM |

#51 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:52 PM | Reply

Spamming? I posted the damn thread.

------ lives!

#52 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-04-14 08:54 PM | Reply

cognitive dissonance

It's a real thing.

#53 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:54 PM | Reply

Take your shots Liberals. And a big thank-you to you in a shout out.

#54 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:56 PM | Reply

#52 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Un-American

#55 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 08:57 PM | Reply

"OK you are right but you picked and choosed."

No, I just randomly clicked on two links you posted.

#56 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 08:58 PM | Reply

"But 23!?!?!
23 die in Norway after receiving the vaccine
nypost.com"

I didn't read that one because the NY Post isn't always the best source and at times can be one step above a tabloid where bigfoot stories would be at home.

#57 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 09:01 PM | Reply

No, I just randomly clicked on two links you posted.

#56 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2021-04-14 08:58 PM |

Awe, you're so sweet.

#58 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 09:01 PM | Reply

OK. thanks for playing. I'll reserve my right not to take the vaccine. You continue to inject yourself with poison. we can agree to disagree, Gal. I still respect your decision. But don't throw me under the bus for mine.

#59 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 09:04 PM | Reply

I just googled "23 die in Norway after receiving Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine: officials" and got this as the third item:

Fact check: Discussion of deaths in elderly vaccine recipients in Norway lacks context
By Reuters Staff

www.reuters.com

#60 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 09:04 PM | Reply

context?
LMAO

So let me get this right. Major news outlets are outright lying? They are fabricating nonsense? Did I hear that correctly?

#61 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 09:08 PM | Reply

Sorry for the interjection - I was accused of spamming the thread a little earlier.

#62 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 09:11 PM | Reply

#59 A number of people in my family aren't getting the vaccine, including my one sister and her husband as well as 3 nieces and their spouses. OTOH, my other sister has already gotten 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine and my brother and his wife have gotten their first doses of Moderna. My mother, who had covid, got two doses of Moderna. Many of my friends have also gotten vaccinated. IOW, most people I know are getting vaccinated but not all of them.

#63 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 09:13 PM | Reply

#61 You obviously didn't read the article I posted.

Have a nice night.

#64 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-14 09:15 PM | Reply

#63 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY AT 2021-04-14 09:13 PM

I had COVID as did my wife - we are in our 50's. It's not much different from the seasonal flu.the bs comes with the lockdowns and now with the vaccines. I'd rather take my chances with the body arming it's se;f rather than depending on a shot and I think I'm going to come out ahead. Thank you and good night.

#65 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 09:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"23 die in Norway after receiving the vaccine"

They were going to die of something anyway.
Just like the 706 who died after not receiving the vaccine.

#66 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-14 09:18 PM | Reply

They were going to die of something anyway.
Just like the 706 who died after not receiving the vaccine.

#66 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-04-14 09:18 PM | REPLY |

#67 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-04-14 09:20 PM | Reply

#67:
Have you tried trying? That works for some people.

#68 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-14 09:29 PM | Reply

"23 die in Norway after receiving the vaccine"

Well yes, they died, but the article clearly states at least 10 deaths weren't related to the Covid vaccine at all; so only 13 might be. Might.

Further reading reveals all 13 fatalities were over 80, and the "sample" size is tens of thousands across the country. Also: Health officials "weren't alarmed" and they "noted that around 400 people die each week in the nursing home population." These deaths happened within 13 days of the vaccine, according to the article...so over 740 deaths during those 13 days in the nursing home population alone is average.

Ultimately, the NYPost is being intellectually dishonest: they even have to admit up front almost half of the "23 died after vaccine" are unrelated to the headline. NYPost makes it clear it would've had the same headline had all 23 died in a bus crash after getting the Pfizer vaccine.

#69 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-04-14 09:59 PM | Reply

Bellboy got his bell rung once too often.

#70 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-04-14 11:02 PM | Reply

"I had COVID as did my wife - we are in our 50's. It's not much different from the seasonal flu"

And how many people did you pass it on to who eventually died? Or passed it to others who died?

#71 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-04-15 01:11 AM | Reply

Is this the Trumpcine the 300 lb orange diaper sniper was crowing about?

www.businessinsider.com

#72 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2021-04-15 02:33 AM | Reply

"#59 A number of people in my family aren't getting the vaccine, including my one sister and her husband as well as 3 nieces and their spouses."

Well, in that case, I hope you have a lot of black dresses. Ask your sister which one she wants you to wear at the funeral.

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-15 09:57 AM | Reply