Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Moments before police fatally shot Daunte Wright during a traffic stop Sunday in a Minneapolis suburb, he called his mother and told her he'd been pulled over for hanging air fresheners from his rearview mirror.

Comments

It is these kind of laws that should not be cause for cops to pull over a driver. They should be treated just like a seat belt i.e. you can't be pulled over if you're not wearing a seat belt but if you ARE pulled over for some other reason and you are NOT wearing a seat belt, you could be charged.

The number of enforcement actions requiring police intervention can be reduced if municipalities/states reclassify laws so that they can not be used as a pretext for a cop to pull over a motorist.

#1 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-04-13 10:01 AM | Reply

They put those laws on the books so that cops would have reasons to pull people over and go fishing for charges.

#2 | Posted by qcp at 2021-04-13 10:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have a government issued travel tag hanging from my mirror (where it is supposed to be) so I don't think we have those kind of laws here.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-04-13 10:19 AM | Reply

All that's missing is JeffJ to say this was tragic, unfortunate, and 100% justified.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 10:41 AM | Reply

#2 QCP is correct. These ticky tack laws are on the books to give police 'probable cause' to pull you over and do their fishing expeditions. And you are mistaken FedUp, you can be pulled over for not wearing a seat belt. At least in California you can. Same with having tint on your front view windows, talking on your cell phone, having a crack on any of your car lights or windows, and pretty much anything else contained in the Vehicle Code. Pretextual stops are the meat and potatoes of law enforcement.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2021-04-13 11:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-04-13 10:19 AM | Reply

LOL The new impaired driving laws let them do pretty well anything.

#6 | Posted by Scotty at 2021-04-13 12:02 PM | Reply

LOL The new impaired driving laws let them do pretty well anything.

True that. "Distracted" driving amounts to just about anything.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-04-13 12:06 PM | Reply

All because of the war on drugs, which was all because republicans wanted to criminalize hippies and blacks.

In other words, you can get pulled over for having an air freshener because of republicans.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-04-13 12:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

This is how they check people for DUIs around the 4th. And its been upheld by the Minnesota Supreme Court.

#9 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-04-13 01:42 PM | Reply

Pretextual stops are the meat and potatoes of law enforcement.

Get rid of the meat and potatoes and more money would be available for social workers, EMTs, paramedics, etc.

#10 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-04-13 04:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

How could the cops see an air freshener hanging from a mirror if they couldn't see the temporary license tag in plain sight attached to the back window?

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-13 05:01 PM | Reply

He was actually pulled over for expired tags, not that there is much of a material difference:

www.msnbc.com

#12 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-04-13 05:39 PM | Reply

Income isn't going to be generated on its own

#13 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-04-13 06:08 PM | Reply

Every job I've had that requires a parking pass, it's always been hanging from my rear view mirror.

Only when I worked on the Navy base, was it a window sticker. Presumably, putting it right next to the VIN was a security move.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 06:58 PM | Reply

www.msnbc.com

#12 | Posted by Karabekian

I erred ... thinking about the Army Lt ...

#15 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-13 07:23 PM | Reply

well hey it's a good thing you don't have a Grateful Dead sticker or a Colorado license plate www.washingtonpost.com

#16 | Posted by ichiro at 2021-04-13 08:46 PM | Reply

or be black!

#17 | Posted by ichiro at 2021-04-13 08:47 PM | Reply

I have seen enough idiots returning from Hawaii with entire lays on their rearview mirror that I've long wondered if it's legal.

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-13 09:01 PM | Reply

I'm more of a Pringles man myself.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 09:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#18 | POSTED BY TOR

How many of those idiots were POC?

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-04-13 09:34 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Like the disabled parking placard, you're only suppose to have parking passes up on the rear view mirror when the car is parked.

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-04-13 09:38 PM | Reply

Not one of the people getting back from Hawaii was black.

Obstructing your own rear view mirror just seems dumb as hell... Kind of like going for your taser and getting your gun...

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-13 09:41 PM | Reply

Obstructing your own rear view mirror just seems dumb as hell...

That's why they have them on the doors. You think a White Western Star needs a mirror on the windshield?

#23 | Posted by REDIAL at 2021-04-13 09:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Obstructing your own rear view mirror just seems dumb as hell"

Just keep making excuses, Tor.
Did you vote for Trump or not? White people all look the same to me.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 10:41 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

Supposed to?
Is this actually in the law?

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 10:42 PM | Reply

Parking permit tags for those with disabilities state that you should not drive with the tag hanging from your rearview mirror, but what about other things like rosaries and air fresheners?

"Any time an object blocks a windshield, side view or rearview mirror. That includes parking permits for people with disabilities," New York State DMV spokesperson Lisa Koumjian said.

The problem is, the law does not specify how many inches a hanging item can or cannot be.

Perl says big and wide items similar to parking tags should be taken down when driving.

As for smaller items like rosaries or necklaces, you should be fine.

"There are so many things you see on mirrors from rosaries to air fresheners, we really wouldn't make a stop just for that," Perl said.

Tickets for driving with an obstructed view could cost you $150.

www.whec.com

#26 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2021-04-13 11:32 PM | Reply

"According to the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law, anything big and bold that blocks your view is not allowed."

In that case, the mirror itself blocks my view.

So does the A-pillar.

This law is an excuse for harassment.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 11:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Tickets for driving with an obstructed view could cost you $150."

Nice to know what a human life is worth though.

It's $150.

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-13 11:37 PM | Reply

So, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have a personalized plate that says "I H8 COPS" ?? :-)

#29 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-14 12:32 AM | Reply

First we can't hang black people.

Next we can't hang air fresheners.

When will Liberals stop their assault on our American Way of Life?

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-14 12:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Apparently somebody didn't read my previous post all the way to the end

#31 | Posted by Tor at 2021-04-14 01:06 AM | Reply

One of the topics missing from Police reform is Law reform. These ticky tak laws need to be de-emphasized and, until they do, municipal and state governments are gas lighting the public when they claim to be reforming the police.

I think these ticky tack laws are on the books as a means to generate revenue for the state or municipality.

#32 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2021-04-14 04:21 AM | Reply

The small town I grew up in had a small police force or 8 or 10 who were so nazi-like that even cops from other cities wouldn't drive thru it. The town's 'force' would look for a reason, any reason, to pull people over, and make up excuses when there was no legitimate reason to. Every one of them was rotten to the core.

A guy on the street behind us (who was on my paper route at the time) was a block from his own house, local cop on his tail, when he passed out at the wheel due to what an autopsy determined was a diabetic coma. The cops pulled him pulled him out of the car, unconscious, beat the s*** out of him when he didn't 'cooperate,' thinking he was drunk, arrested and threw him in the single cell at the station, where he died.

The feds got involved at some point after that episode, which made the news for awhile and put the local thugs on their radar. Several of them were later indicted for embezzlement, extortion, and multiple other counts uncovered during that investigation. IIRC, at least half of them went to prison. My small town had to settle with his family for a couple million dollars.

#33 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-04-14 05:47 AM | Reply

Income isn't going to be generated on its own

#13 | Posted by truthhurts at 2021-04-13 06:08 PM | Reply | Flag:

Have they even tried cutting taxes? Every cancervative on the planet says cutting taxes increases revenue.

#34 | Posted by Nixon at 2021-04-14 08:53 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Never seen a rear view mirror being obstructed. Seen items hanging down but full width and length of "mirror" is free and being utilized.

#35 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-04-14 05:05 PM | Reply

#35 I believe the rationale is anything hanging from the rear view mirror blocks your view out of the windshield.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-04-14 05:14 PM | Reply

You know how many air fresheners are "obstructing" windshields. There are not enough jails.

#37 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-04-14 09:45 PM | Reply

I got pulled over for the first time in decades because my F150 trailer ball (2 in) was obscuring the bottom inch of my licence plate. It didn't obscure the numbers or the date tag on the licence plate. Fishing. I'm white and old so I got a talking to and I had to flip the trailer ball over so the nut was on top. Bored small town cops.

#38 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2021-04-15 10:21 AM | Reply

So should cops just let any black person who decides they do not want to get arrested to just drive away? I if I was a cop that is exactly what I would let them do.

#39 | Posted by jdmeth at 2021-04-15 10:41 AM | Reply