Sunday, May 02, 2021

"It's a subscription world and we simply stay in it," says Karl Brauer, executive analyst at iSeeCars.com. "There could be dozens -- even hundreds -- of unique capabilities that you may or may not have soon, depending on what you pay every month."

Comments

Hello retro vintage and kit cars.

F all that noise I want a car not a computer on wheels.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-01 04:48 PM | Reply

F all that noise I want a car not a computer on wheels.
#1 | POSTED BY TOR

(As he types out the post on an iPhone.)

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-05-01 04:59 PM | Reply

The main problem I have with Software as a Service cars, is that you no longer own the car you have purchased. All you own is the means for the car company to extract monthly payments from you to keep the car running.

It looks like legalized extortion to me.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2021-05-01 05:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is an aspect which is used to upsell Tesla buyers on the autonomous driving package - how in the future it'll be a SaaS, versus now it is a one time purchase license (unknown if the software package transfers between owners).

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-05-01 05:10 PM | Reply

"he main problem I have with Software as a Service cars, is that you no longer own the car you have purchased."

exactly the problem.

It's bad enough computer companies keep insisting they need to do software updates even if you don't want them and often don't need them.

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-01 10:48 PM | Reply

It looks like legalized extortion to me.
#3 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2021-05-01 05:07 PM | FLAG:

Welcome to leasing cars, always a bad idea.

What Tesla is doing on SaaS though is revoking ownership of upgrades when you try to sell it. Instant $30k depreciation when you try to sell it, and the next owner is expected to pay Tesla again for the updates. They keep implementing this, then backing out of it from public backlash, just to implement it again.

#6 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-02 09:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

On my GMC Terrain, I'm already paying a monthly subscription for Sirius/XM and OnStar, and on my wife's Mercedes C300, again Sirius/XM and Mercedes Mbrace (their equivalent to OnStar). And then every couple of years, there's the updates for the navigation systems.

OCU

#7 | Posted by OCUser at 2021-05-02 01:13 PM | Reply

I think personal vehicle ownership will largely be phased out once self-driving vehicles become common. Seems like it would be more cost effective for most people to just call up a vehicle when they need one. With automated vehicles it would make it much easier.

Now that I work from home full time the wife and I have already went down to one car and I'm questioning if it makes sense to even own a car at this point. Mine is paid off so I figure I'll drive it into the group but eventually a decision point come on whether to replace it or use ride services for local trips and then rent for longer/multi-day trips.

#8 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-05-02 01:50 PM | Reply

In theory, it would be nice to have a car that makes me money as a Uber driver, without having to drive it.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-02 03:47 PM | Reply

If that car is in your name, you're driving it in terms of ownership costs and insurance liability.

#10 | Posted by LesWit at 2021-05-02 05:09 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce

I think you are right but I won't like it. I think it works for a LOT of people. But I don't live in a large city and I don't want to be waiting around or for that matter climbing in someone else's mess.

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-02 05:26 PM | Reply

If I am not mistaken BMW is doing something in this vein already.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-02 05:28 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

The way I envision it those won't be near as much of concerns as they are currently. They won't be personally owned cars that people are sending out to work for uber or whatever. You won't have to wait for a driver in your area. They will be owned by the rideshare company and they will already have vehicles in the area. In fact they probably know your schedule and will be waiting for you when you get ready to go somewhere.

Since I'm not talking about riding in someone else's personal vehicle so it can be hit and miss like it is today, these cars would have regular, and likely automated maintenance so you should always be getting a clean ride.

#13 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2021-05-02 05:45 PM | Reply

You can go jump on a rental eScooter in many downtowns now, complete with subscription services. People still own bicycles, they're very popular.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-02 06:51 PM | Reply

The scooters are more of a tourist thing.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-02 06:51 PM | Reply

If you are now "mesmerized", it will also tell on you.

#16 | Posted by fresno500 at 2021-05-02 11:57 PM | Reply

We all know how it's going to end up... you're running late as you rush out the door, jump in the car urgently shouting out the destination to the AI.

AI: "Welcome, (insert name). You have requested (x) as your destination. Is this correct"?

You: "Yes! Yes! Yes! Correct! Hurry! Go,go,go!

AI: Thank you, (insert name). Your journey will begin right after these short commercials".

#17 | Posted by LiquidCake at 2021-05-03 07:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Yes! Yes! Yes! Correct! Hurry! Go,go,go!"

AI: We'll be stopping at our sponsor, Wal-Mart, on the way. 20% off all gardening supplies!

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2021-05-03 07:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I hope that I'm dead before that happens.

#19 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2021-05-03 09:01 PM | Reply

I hope that I'm dead before that happens.
#19 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

We're doing just fine with our phones being software platforms.

This is the appropriate evolution of the tech. Nothing to be upset about, people.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-05-03 09:05 PM | Reply

AI: "If you'd like to take the most direct route, please complete this survey."

AI: "You've arrived at your destination. You may exit the vehicle after rating your experience today. Thank you, and remember, all negative ratings may adversely affect your social credit score. Have a pleasant day."

#21 | Posted by LiquidCake at 2021-05-03 09:23 PM | Reply

...and don't forget the adds
they will be sending out over those
displays... (cue that seen from the
Grinch, "All the noise, noise, noise,
noise!")

#22 | Posted by earthmuse at 2021-05-03 09:39 PM | Reply

You can pry my 2007 Ford F-150 from my cold dead hands I reckon.

#23 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2021-05-03 09:45 PM | Reply

The most annoying thing about my tesla is how connected it is. I'm delaying installing the next software update because it changes the layout of the controls to an inferior style.

Software updates can improve your car, and they can also make it worse.

#24 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-05-04 12:18 AM | Reply

Software updates can improve your car, and they can also make it worse.

#24 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2021-05-04 12:18 AM | FLAG:

You don't have an option. You have to keep patching. Tesla cars have been hacked with zero-click exploits from drones already. Tesla patched it in September and removed connMan. What else is waiting to be exploited though? For every new one found, the critical security update patch is not an option and combined with the patches you hate.

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 08:27 AM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

As it sounds like Tesla's use over the air updates, depending on the authentication protocol, a possible threat vector could be a man in the middle attack via a stringray type contraption, inserting a custom patch (supply chain attack) allowing remote execution of malicious code.

Right now it seems like exploiting Tesla's is fodder for conferences, to build a name or brand, versus exploitation in the wild.

#26 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-05-04 08:32 AM | Reply

The first time say... an Iranian scientist is seen driving around in a Tesla, the Mossad is going to Wile E. Coyote them into a wall at high speed using simple, faked traffic signs.

#27 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 10:49 AM | Reply

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg

I have an option every time i get in my car and hit DONT UPDATE.

I'm willing to risk the tiny chance of my car getting hacked to avoid the guaranteed chance of the controls layout being worse.

#28 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-05-04 11:42 AM | Reply