Monday, May 03, 2021

Apple is set to take the stand Monday in a landmark trial that could alter the business model of the country's most valuable company and serve as a catalyst for new antitrust laws.

Comments

I certainly hope Apple wins this. It is one of the main reasons their platform remains so secure compared to Android. That said I do think Apple's 30% charge is a bit outrageous as a "period" charge and was unwise. There should be a scale to it. i.e. depending on the volume a company does a decreasing cost.

The platform as is however provides greater security for users and forces app developers to play well with customers.

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-03 04:23 PM | Reply

Android also charges 30% on in app purchases, subs, etc. It's an industry standard.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-03 08:47 PM | Reply

I bought an Iphone. I literally now hate apple. Never again will I purchase an overpriced apple product.

#3 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-05-03 08:49 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg

If you use the Android marketplace. Your app doesn't even have to be in their app store, you can install from anywhere. Apple forces you to use their platform for transactions.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-04 08:05 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by byrdman

What did you buy and why do you dislike it so much?

In my experience, Apple makes a better physical product than all but perhaps Samsung. First and foremost reason I like them is they just simply work. When it comes to reliability, I will take an iPhone all day long. When it comes to security - it is by far the most secure. Android is riddled with malware. I have identified 3 on our employee BYOD network just this month. Also on the Security and Longevity front - you won't find an Android phone supported more than 2 years from RELEASE date including Google's own. An iPhone 6s is still supported by Apple - that is over 5 years old. There are a lot of things I don't like about Apple - including price - but their phone products are hands down the overall best IMHO.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-04 08:12 AM | Reply

I resisted the Apple ecosystem for a long time. Had a couple blackberries, then a windows phone or two, an Android device, then about 7 years ago tried out an IOS device and never looked back.

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-05-04 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 I publish to Google Play and Apple Store.

Android QC on Google Play is basically non-existent. Apples is extreme. You have to write a book explaining every single function to the tester and provide video of the app being used on Apple devices even if you do not own one.

Apple sucks to develop for but the closed ecosystem delivers far higher quality apps.

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 09:24 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2021-05-04 08:05 AM | FLAG:

You can install the .apk if you turn on Developer Mode, which you should not... but how many downloads have you gotten with that approach? It doesn't sound like you have published on them tbh.

From a developer's perspective you're going to publish on Google Play because Google Searches prioritize it, it contains more apps than every other android app store combined, users want to download in 1 click not have to find it, it's in every Android phone, all of the other app stores I'm aware of charge for in app transactions, and it's very easy. Just use a signing key and upload it.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 10:02 AM | Reply

Apologies if you have published. I'm in the middle of writing the book for an iOS product test and it's tedious and overall leaves me in a bad mood.

#9 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 10:05 AM | Reply

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg

That's interesting, my team has Published on both and we didn't have to do that on Apple's store.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-04 12:05 PM | Reply

When you're doing Location Based Entertainment and World AR the App Completeness Guidelines are thorough. The testers want to know what every function is and try it, along with detailed explanations of Foreground & Background location access, Camera usage, every AR target. They want video of people using it on iPhones, iPads, or both. Most recently a tester requested an annotated video detailing every function in addition to the text explanations. It's a lot, but it does deliver solid end products to consumers imho.

My experience with Google Play is you can publish apps that crash on startup. There's an approval period but I feel like no human really looks at it.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 12:15 PM | Reply

Mostly agree regarding QC on first publish.
QC wasn't as though on subsequent releases.
Apple will also reject your app if there is mention of Andriod or Google Play.

#12 | Posted by bored at 2021-05-04 12:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7/#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg

To expand on that a lot - I didn't directly do it, my dev team did. I try not to touch code and mostly have not done that in years other than in systems I developed and need tweaks. I also suspect it has to do with what you are doing in your app. I just asked my lead and he said he hasn't had to do all that and he has published on his own in addition to our apps. We have had them out there 5 years or so now.

I of course understand the reasons most developers would publish there and I also understand why they would push their transactions to their own platform and off Googles - i.e. 30% fees. I am sure you understand that Epic didn't have a problem with Google until they pushed Fortnight to the store because they had a way around the transaction on the Android platform - i.e. they can do transactions on their own. The problem is the disadvantage when you don't publish in their store and why they are now being sued as well. Google IMHO doesn't have a leg to stand on because they don't do any real QC unlike Apple.

Bottom line though is it depends on the developer, your goals and what not. There are plenty of shady developers out there and things are caught all the time on the play store that are not legit. Even Epic didn't make a move to the Play store until last year and instead side loaded Fortnight. Again a big reason why I will take an iPhone over an Android.

I haven't looked in about 3 years but you would find a lot of manufacturer apps downloadable from their websites for Android only and not on the Play store. That may have changed/been changing. Also there are a lot of "problematic" links out there that have questionable software and of course install instructions. I just had someone ask about installing some stupid game his kid wanted on his Android device from a web site and had to explain simply do not do that. I can't tell you how many times my team had to fix hacked phones for users before we put an iPhone policy in place for corporate users. I haven't had a single hacked company phone in years now, just BYOD phones.

You surely understand there are no shortcuts to security. I get why you think Apple is a PIA, they are. They force you to do the right thing and sometimes things that are genuinely stupid...

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-04 01:13 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg

Now that makes sense as those are all very important to the Apple User experience and privacy. Again, you have actual services being done by Apple unlike the Google rubber stamp.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-04 01:16 PM | Reply

Apple will also reject your app if there is mention of Andriod or Google Play.

#12 | POSTED BY BORED AT 2021-05-04 12:40 PM | FLAG:

apple: "A user in your demonstration video is holding a non-Apple device. App Rejected - Metadata."

me on appeal: "Yes, it's a cross-platform gaming experience and the documentation says to show all of the features."

apple: "App Rejected - Metadata"

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 01:59 PM | Reply

There's no dialing 9 for an outside line, from inside Apple. Metaphorically speaking. That's by design.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-04 02:03 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2021-05-04 01:16 PM | FLAG:

They do... but I can also point out some location sharing apps right now that are massive COPPA violations. It's hit & miss in that respect. I did also notice the recent wording of how compensation is defined in the publishing and they have broadened it to say they get a taste of any compensation for the app whatsoever.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 02:11 PM | Reply

You guys are some pretty smart bastards with this stuff.

Tell me this....I'm having some real heartburn with an insurance carrier who is now refusing to write cyber liability insurance for anybody who does not implement MFA (Multi-factor authentication) for any access to company email/server remotely from any device.

Almost NONE of my policyholders are doing that right now.

Hell, my agency doesn't even have that implemented.

Is that where we are going with any kind of access to email or really to any kind of company controlled system?

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2021-05-04 02:55 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by eberly

I have a specialist broker you can call potentially. Our insurance agency uses him for matching their customers to plans. They introduced me to him about 3 months ago. The guy knows his stuff both in Insurance and security. He explained his process and how he reviews and selects companies to work with. We had a recent claim and everything has been easy mode which makes it even better. We were hacked in the February Exchange fiasco. Hacked 4 days prior to the big emergency patch release it turned out. However no evidence of exfiltration or other malicious behaviors other than truly compromising that immediate server. Fought to eject them at first but I didn't feel successful, regardless we were working on a new server to replace it as it would have been dumb to leave it in place. I did however get a lot smarter about some things during the process and taught my team things as well. I can't wait to get off on prem Exchange.

HOWEVER - MFA is quickly becoming a must now. Inconvenient? Yes and at times extremely so. Superior protection? 100% - Consider the passwords you use and think about even easier ones because I guarantee they are in your org. We are quickly approaching a time when a BYOD device is a must for every employee for that reason alone. As an agency holding really sensitive PII, you are kind of crazy not to implement MFA. In fact I am surprised you are not required to use it for many things. Texted code solutions are weak and that isn't a very viable option for a lot of solutions anyhow. Depending, a lot of the MFA solutions are free (Google, MS) for at least some things but I am looking at paying for Duo because IMHO it is a better experience and more versatile.

#19 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-04 04:55 PM | Reply

19 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

+1 on MFA being the path forward. It's a great system, though getting everyone to have a token, so users would have pin+random generated number would be top level type of security solution. The personal experience with an exploit in the wild is crazy to hear. I can image it felt pretty... naked(?), having a MCA on network. Was there a reason why y'all had on-prem vs cloud?

I'm angling to catch and ride the wave of cloud services when I'm back in the private sector

#20 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2021-05-04 05:43 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by GOnoles92

It was a really cruddy feeling - kind of a punch in the stomach. C&C was in China - that just ticks me off. I have been saying how bad it is to move business there for a very long time. Short sighted.

Another month - they would have not have got us at least not so quickly. We didn't have our geo-fencing and IDS in place yet. Finally get the money for security and can't get it done quick enough...

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2021-05-04 09:42 PM | Reply

#21 use your Azure free credits to setup a chia crypto farm. Ssd based not gpu.

#22 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-05 07:50 AM | Reply