Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Two Asian women were walking on a sidewalk when an individual approached them and demanded they remove their face masks. The individual, who was seen wearing all black, then attacked the women and struck one of them in the head with a hammer causing a laceration.

Comments

I've only been to NYC once, about ten years ago. I wouldn't go now. It seems to have degenerated into the jungle it reputedly was in the 1980s, with feral animals wandering everywhere.

#1 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 12:15 PM | Reply

I was there a few years ago. There was the occasional open air asylum encounter, but that was part of the appeal.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2021-05-04 12:46 PM | Reply

I have no reason to ever want to go to NYC. Or California for that matter.

#3 | Posted by boaz at 2021-05-04 01:05 PM | Reply

I went in 2006. I thought it was totally rad! It has taken a turn for the worse since then, it seems.

#4 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 01:17 PM | Reply

3 You would love San Diego, Major.

#5 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 01:17 PM | Reply

I went to New York City in the late 90s and I think I went at the perfect time.

It was safe enough but not disneyfied and there were plenty of P@@@ Theaters but not too many hookers.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-04 01:25 PM | Reply

"there were plenty of P@@@ Theaters"

[insert inappropriate comment about Bollywood movies here]

#7 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 01:33 PM | Reply

It doesn't matter where this was. There's a very high chance that who ever did this was ideologically akin to you.

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2021-05-04 01:39 PM | Reply

I have no reason to ever want to go to NYC. Or California for that matter.

#3 | POSTED BY BOAZ

I'm returning to San Francisco soon. I expect to have a wonderful time in a beautiful place.

You need to understand and believe: there is nothing so bad and strange about California that west Texas doesn't have it beat.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2021-05-04 01:40 PM | Reply

My favorite San Francisco restaurant:

www.spotlightchinatown.com

#10 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 01:44 PM | Reply

You're less likely to get covid-19 San Francisco than any city in Texas.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-04 02:03 PM | Reply

11 I used to visit Frisco on the regular, but each time I went, it was a little grimier than the last. The last time I went, most of the Chinese language movie houses had shuttered, and the human poop was mile high everywhere.

#12 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 02:08 PM | Reply

Sentinel, do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?

#13 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 02:09 PM | Reply

#10, My least favorite restaurant...

www.youtube.com

#14 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 02:09 PM | Reply

#13, Mandarin. Ngo mm sik teng gwondongwa.

#15 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 02:10 PM | Reply

Ha! My childhood friend (still like brothers) taught me some Cantonese insults. It was cool. I've taken Mandarin classes, but it doesn't stick. Wo hen xihuan chi bingxiling!

#16 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 02:14 PM | Reply

I assume you mean bing ji ling. (The food, not the musician.)

My favorite Chinese slang is "Wo hen xihuan chi doufu!"

#17 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 02:25 PM | Reply

Yeah! Ice cream vs tofu. Ha! I also remember Feijichang Zai na?
And I can still count in mandarin. As you can see, my pinying is awful. My first mandarin teachers were from Taiwan, so they taught me bo po mo fo.

#18 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 02:29 PM | Reply

My first Chinese conversation partner was from Taiwan. She also said "bo po, mo fo" to me.

Just don't ever say "wo hen xihuan da feiji". That can get you in trouble, especially at the Feijichang.

#19 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 02:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

and the human poop was mile high everywhere.
#12 | POSTED BY KARABEKIAN

Apparently that can be blamed on California's plastic bag ban. An unintended consequence that makes all the 'clean up after your dog' signs quite ironic.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2021-05-04 02:41 PM | Reply

19. You're smarter than me. I don't retain much of it and never have a chance to practice.

Fun fact: Circa 1995, I got to see Chow Yun-fat and John Woo give a talk at the Shrine in Los Angeles.

#21 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 02:45 PM | Reply

It was getting bad even before the plastic bag van. Personally, I hunk more public restrooms are in order - everywhere.

#22 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 02:52 PM | Reply

21, I studied it at university, had several years of immersion, and also have had many chances to practice since then.

Did you ever hear Tai Mai Shu? He was legendary.

#23 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 02:58 PM | Reply

I have not

#24 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 03:07 PM | Reply

I first heard this about 20 years ago. I wasn't sure if it was real or if I imagined it until I rediscovered it recently.

www.youtube.com

#25 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-04 03:17 PM | Reply

I'll check it out.

#26 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 03:26 PM | Reply

25 That's pretty funny - and totally out of whack.

#27 | Posted by Karabekian at 2021-05-04 05:14 PM | Reply

You're less likely to get covid-19 San Francisco than any city in Texas.

#11 | POSTED BY TOR AT 2021-05-04 02:03 PM | REPLY | FLAG

LMAO
Yeah because San Fran is so sanitary. Doofus.

#28 | Posted by BellRinger at 2021-05-04 08:07 PM | Reply

LOL bell ringer Tucker Carlson is not your friend and you can look at the data all you want you really are less likely to contract covid in San Francisco than any Metropolitan city in Texas.

#29 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-04 10:27 PM | Reply

...ever want to go to NYC. Or California for that matter.
#3 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Of course not, being in a different environment would make you learn and grow. Can't be having that now, can we?
I travel the deep South and Mid-West all the time. Always something to see and learn.

#30 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2021-05-05 10:01 AM | Reply

Yeah, all that natural beauty makes you question your role in the universe. Can't have that.

#31 | Posted by LegallyYourDead at 2021-05-05 10:23 AM | Reply

So, was this a hate crime, then?

#32 | Posted by sentinel at 2021-05-05 09:26 PM | Reply

I have no reason to ever want to go to NYC. Or California for that matter.

#3 | POSTED BY BOAZ

"Boaz no leave cave. Cave have everything Boaz want. Cave have rock. Cave have 'nother rock. Cave have Fox News. ...Cave have third rock over here? ...BOAZ NO WANT LEAVE CAVE!"

#33 | Posted by Sycophant at 2021-05-06 11:49 AM | Reply