Wednesday, May 05, 2021

In a hotly contested debate involving the city's homelessness crisis, 57% of voters said they were in favor of reinstating criminal penalties for camping in public spaces and 42% said they were not.

Comments

I wonder if they'll go back to giving them 1 way bus tickets to other cities.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-04 06:42 PM | Reply

How could a libbie dem in a Blue Texas city do such to those poor, unfortunate people - have they no compassion???

#2 | Posted by MSgt at 2021-05-04 07:40 PM | Reply

criminal penalties for camping in public spaces

Homeless aren't going to pay fines.

Locking them up pretty much provides them a place to sleep, three meals a day, plus medical.

If I were homeless sleeping in the freezing cold, broken down state of Texas, I may take up the city's generous offer.

#3 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-05-05 04:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

have they no compassion???
#2 | POSTED BY MSGT

Forget it, hack.

It's Texas.

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2021-05-05 04:07 AM | Reply

#3 you just go into drug debt in jail, then you are much much worse off as an indigent with no commissary. The meth outside is cheaper. Much cheaper.

#5 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-05 07:52 AM | Reply

Sorry but it's not "liberal" to allow junkies to cram the sidewalks with their tents, feces, and syringes.

Sure you're being nice to the junkies, but how are you treating the children and other residents of that area?

Here in LA, shelters are available, but they choose to stay on the street instead because the shelters don't let them smoke crack whenever they want.

These people lost my sympathy long ago and now it's way out of control. Tents under every bridge. Panhandlers at every freeway exit. The city even provides porto potties for them.

Yes we need shelters and rehab programs, but if someone refuses to use them they shouldnt be allowed to live, ----, and inject their heroin on the sidewalk.

And ---- all the sympathetic activists who fight to allow them to keep living that way, no matter how it affects everyone else's lives.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-05-05 12:15 PM | Reply

Yeah I'm done with most of them. Offer them shelter space or jail. They get one or the other. Injecting drugs on the street can no longer be an option.

#7 | Posted by byrdman at 2021-05-05 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hardly ever see any of this, fortunately.

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2021-05-05 03:13 PM | Reply

This is why whatever Public Works projects the Democrats are trying to pass need to include funding for the building and maintenance of new mental facilities.

Habitually homeless people tend to either have a substance abuse problem or a serious mental health issue.

It's the second one that needs to start getting funding.

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2021-05-05 03:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"This is Reagan's fault!!! ------- bastard!"

-Danni

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2021-05-05 03:30 PM | Reply

"Injecting drugs on the street can no longer be an option."

Mah freedums!

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-05 03:38 PM | Reply

"Offer them shelter space or jail."

Mah freedums!

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-05 03:38 PM | Reply

"This is Reagan's fault!!! ------- bastard!"

-Danni

#10 | Posted by eberly

"Defunding mental health is worth it so we can cut millionaires' taxes!"

-Your cult of morons in the 80s.

#13 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-05-05 04:47 PM | Reply

I hardly ever see any of this, fortunately.
#8 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Because even the homeless don't want to live in Kansas?

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-05 07:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Undoing the Carter Administration Mental Health Programs:
en.wikipedia.org

#15 | Posted by LesWit at 2021-05-05 08:30 PM | Reply

-Because even the homeless don't want to live in Kansas?

I don't care why, I'm just glad it's someone else's problem.

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2021-05-05 09:52 PM | Reply

I don't care why, I'm just glad it's someone else's problem.

#16 | Posted by eberly

Is it though?

www.kcur.org
Spike In Homelessness In Kansas City And Lawrence Inspires Fresh Ideas

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2021-05-05 11:40 PM | Reply

-Is it though?

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2021-05-05 11:55 PM | Reply

-Because even the homeless don't want to live in Kansas?
I don't care why, I'm just glad it's someone else's problem.

#16 | POSTED BY EBERLY

I was being facetious. Should have ended with a :)

It should be viewed as all our problem, even if we don't have to look at the panhandlers on the corner on our daily commute.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2021-05-06 12:51 AM | Reply

I don't have a problem with homeless people. Offering some money, a smile, and a kind word is the Christian thing to do. I don't care if it's mental illness, alcoholism, or whatever. It is not my place to judge them for their circumstances. Also the Christian thing to do.

Last week, I was in the left turn lane next to to a guy panhandling who looked like he hadn't had a bath in weeks. I went to Burger King and brought a sack of Whoppers and a large drink. You know what the first thing he did was? He walked over to another corner and offered the guy standing there some food.

My wife and I have volunteered for over 25 years at a program where homeless come for a weekend. We cook for them, they get their clothes cleaned, toiletries, and we cook and serve meals.

More times than I can count, I've heard stories of divorce, loss of jobs, alcoholism, etc. But the most important thing anyone ever said was along the lines of, "you know, the thing that meant the most was being able to talk to someone who treats me like a person instead of looking through or past me like I'm not even there."

But for luck, we could all be walking in their shoes.

#20 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-05-06 04:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Matthew 25: 31-45

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40 "The King will reply, Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

41 "Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44 "They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45 "He will reply, Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

#21 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-05-06 04:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's not the only way to get to heaven, AmericanU....

Romans 10:9

Mark 16:16

Acts 16:31

That is the way and the only way...

#22 | Posted by boaz at 2021-05-06 09:01 AM | Reply

But for luck, we could all be walking in their shoes.

Nope, I disagree. That is false.

Some may be luck, but luck can be created and changed.

#23 | Posted by boaz at 2021-05-06 09:01 AM | Reply

My small town and county is now starting to actively enforce
regulations on the homeless. During Covid lockdown they did the move along thing
Now they are going back to jail for trespassing, public nuisance, theft and public drunkenness.
There have been fires and several hundreds of thousands of dollars of cleanup of byways and behind stores.
Local churches give free showers and food, A local landowner allowed them to use some vacant land.
But the amount of BS in the streets is way out of proportion to our population The whole county has less than 60,000 people. This problem is not going away,it is getting worse.

#24 | Posted by randomcanyon at 2021-05-06 10:12 AM | Reply

#22 | Posted by boaz

Matthew 25: 31-45 spells it out in no uncertain terms.

Believing isn't enough. "Faith without works is dead."

You look for any out to ignore your Masonic principles and the word of the very namesake of Christianity.

#25 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2021-05-06 01:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There but for the grace of God, go I.

--John Bradford, (1510-1555)

#26 | Posted by madscientist at 2021-05-06 05:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So, no more Freedom to Assemble?

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2021-05-06 05:34 PM | Reply

So, no more Freedom to Assemble?

#27 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2021-05-06 05:34 PM | FLAG:

Sure you do, you just need to file for your permit and assemble over there in the designated Protest Zone with your APD baby sitters.

#28 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2021-05-07 08:30 AM | Reply